Monday, May 16, 2016

It was the Best of Times it was the Worst of Times

What a week!  High highs and low lows too.  Lots of hard work and lots of fun!  
Monday lasted forever as I stripped all the paint off the parlor floor ... A gallon and a half of chemical stripper plus 8 hours made for one exhausted grandma ... 
Then Tuesday was all about fun. My art group met and we made garden cloches from chicken wire!  
The two on the right are mine. Then I was off to junk in SLC, running into my darling friend Marci before meeting Arlene to attend a session at the Draper temple, with Zupas afterwards!   Dad of course did his temple shift that night. 

Wednesday was back to the grindstone with a day at work, where I painted ...
this smaller cupboard that I bought to replace the too bulky cupboard for our bathroom. 

After work I did have a nice break when Becca brought me my birthday and Mother's  Day gift from our kids (thanks all I love it, even Dad, who tried to talk me out of it, loves it!) 
Isn't it a beauty?! 
Then Dad and I worked on sanding the parlor floor. He had the big sander, while I worked the hand sander around the edges of the room. I was so exhausted that I actually had an adrenalin rush before I finished up about 11:00 P.M.
Up early on Thursday so I could get the floor stained before heading to a day at work!  

That night Dad put on two coats of varnish!! 
On Friday I finished up most of the leaf cleanup in the back driveway before a couple of dealers came to set up early for Fleaology..  

Then Nell and the girls came. Penny was pretty entertained by all the activity, so much so she couldn't fall asleep at nap time. 
Eleanor went back  to the patio and brought a chair up to 'her' fairy garden and entertained herself for literally hours, playing with the 'characters'. What a charming child!  
My neighbor CoraLee came by for her next door neighbor privilege of early bird shopping and got these greatly reduced treasures from me!! 

Set up was exhausting, mainly because the parlor floor had taken so much of me earlier in the week. I did  unload the van from the 3Dotters sale though, and Nell helped out by doing the final sweep up in the back drive after I paid a dealer's 2 buff sons to load the blue van seats from the back patio!  

Then Dad came home and helped haul all the big stuff out of the garage. When Trevor got there he helped Dad muscle the heavy and bulky red and white cupboard down from the 3rd floor bathroom. (Just ask Spencer what a nightmare it is, he helped Dad haul it UP, last December and will never be the same!! ) 
Here's my finished booth. It was too dark for pictures by the time I'd finished but I took this shot first thing Saturday. 
Belle Brough, a first time Fleaologist from treasures had an amazing booth.   

And my friend Nikki had lots of goodies that she set up late. 
Briahnna stopped by bright and early on their way to an outdoor adventure that we missed participating in, due to the Fleaology rain delay!  
Brent York, seen here with our neighbor Debbie Nelson, he worked with shoppers all day to print out, sign and send letters to Udot and to the Governor in hopes of saving our house and others.   
After Dad's run, he managed to get all the furniture back into the parlor.  He then vacuumed the whole house. 
Which was good because Dad's cousin Kathy Pace came by. You may recall that I met her several years back at the flea in Hoytsville! He took her on a tour of the house!!  
Towards the end of the sale Trevor got in a bike ride!!   

Now sadly I must mention that this is our final Fleaology, at least at the house. We had two policeman come by with a ticket for operating a business in a residential zone.  I think we realized it would eventually come to that, but it's still a sad thing. 

That night we met the Moes and assorted kids, and friends at Cafe Rio in Orem, which was fun. Then off to the play,  unfortunately my knee was killing me, so despite the fact that I love the story and thought the play quite decent we headed home at the intermission. 

On Sunday Dad headed to Bountiful for the farewell of his mission president's granddaughter who is going to Finland. I went to Sherri and Wade  Oldham's farewell as they go to manage a church welfare ranch in Nevada.  I think I've mentioned before that he's a hobby farmer who also raises Clydesdales and beef cattle! 

Sherri is a convert to the church, having been raised Moravian. She said growing up she always doubted their concept of the trinity and intuitively felt that families could be together in the next life, rather than until death did they part. She bore powerful testimony!  She's so fun, so loud and so outspoken. She said " I know it's true, and I can't  help myself! I have to share it!"   And she does! 
That night was Finnish night. We had Stina and her girls.  Her husband, who works as a church auditor is in Japan, where he might just meet the first Finnish sister to serve there as a missionary there!! 

We also had the Coopers and their youngest daughter Katie join us. Katie has just been called to Finland, she goes into the MTC in July, we think she'll still be there when we go in!

Long time friend Margaret Cooper just happens to be Wade Oldham's only sister!  

Our Finnish dinner was delightful. Dad was in Finnish heaven!! Can you get trunky to go on a mission? 

No comments:

Post a Comment