Monday, May 4, 2015

... Of Antiques, Baseball, Flooding and Temples!


It's Monday.  Down to the wire!!  My Reclaimogists and Other Crafty Chicks (ROCC) show was coming up and I had mere days to prepare.  I had to work, still catching up on my sunny Texas Vacation time that day and I tried to make those work days count as well.  I made more of my manilla  tags at work and then worked on stamping them with prices after work, with a little visiting teaching thrown in.  

Besides going to work that day,  Dad managed to get in his first shift ushering at the temple.   He worked helping people into and out of the elevators on the sealing room and and marriage waiting room floor (3rd) 


I loved this picture of Bekie reading to Abbie that Emily sent!!  

On Tuesday Dad spent a lot of the day using the funds from the sale of the Orem house, which had funded that morning, to pay off stuff... And was thrilled to be that much closer to serving our missions!!


That evening he went to the UVU vs BYU baseball game at UVU with Trevor and his kids! 


I spent the day working on more projects for the ROCC show. 
Can I just say I can't believe it took me so long to get a band sander?    True love. 

On Wednesday, when I left for work, I noticed the carpet in the front of the dryer was off color,  I tested it with my stocking foot ... Yep, wet. 

At work I texted dad to let him know about the wet carpet. When he got home it was much wetter. He called for me to stop and get a rug doctor at Maceys on the way home. The pipe to the outside spigot had frozen over the winter and Dad told me about a month ago to not use it. I obviously forgot and had used that hose that morning  to water some hanging baskets. Yikes. Of course Spencer and Britt's apartment was flooded too.  Dad spent most of the evening, after replacing the pipe, sucking water out of our carpet, Spencer did the same for their carpet. I still feel terrible. 

Thursday I worked again, as did Dad, that evening we went over to Payson cottage to get the rest of the cleaning and repair equipment out, as our new renter was moving in.  Then it was back home to empty the van and load it for the show. 

On Friday Dad squeezed in a half day at work, while I finished up projects for the ROCC show. 

When he came home we headed to the temple to do a shift ushering. This time we both worked ushering people into and out of the sealing rooms. It was a sweet experience. 
After four hours we headed home, finished loading the van and went to set up for the show in Spanish. 
Here are a couple of photos of my set up! After it was done we went to dinner at Cafe Rio and while Dad stood in line to order, I sat at a table and threw up my blog post on my Pollyanna blog!!  I love my IPhone! 

Dad was up early for his run on Saturday before spending the day mowing, cleaning the yard and making a trip to the dump. 

Of course I was also up early and off to the show!!  This gal (above) bought my most vintage and most expensive globe, I sold 3 in all. 
Spencer and Brittney rode their  bikes over and visited for a while. Davin and Bri also came, but I missed seeing them ... Guess I forgot to mention the admit fee, I should have met them at the door!!  It's always fun to steal kisses from my adorable grands! :-( 
One of Brittney's former BYU professors was there. She's has evidently bought a lot of refurbished stuff from our ROCC leader, Jami.  It was a fun reunion!  She had high praise for our girl. 

It was fun for me when my friend Wendy came. She ran out for some Cafe Rio for lunch and we got to eat together and have a nice visit. She really saved my mood as the sale was not great for me!! 

That night, after Spencer came and helped me take down, so Dad could attend our stake conference Priesthood leadership meeting, dad and I met up wth the Kews and basement dwellers for the adult session of stake conference! 

It was a great meeting and we all went for Chinese together afterwards. 

On Sunday morning dad headed to the stake center to save seats, I got there about 9:30, and we had an another amazing meeting. 
Afterwards, the kids came up to escape the damp, musty (guilt, guilt) basement   Brittney had fun playing with Spencer's hair, while I (sorry Barb) rubbed Dad's feet. 

The Kews called to come over to get a blessing from Dad. They are having to move their business after something like 16 years, and are pretty stressed about it. Steve just bawled after his blessing, telling Dad how relieved he felt. There was a pretty amazing spirit there. We were all in tears, and if Brittney and Spencer had stayed, I'm sure they'd have been in tears too.  

Such a powerful and spiritual week!  And the frosting on the cake for me was getting to go and usher at the temple again, this time in the brides room on Sunday afternoon.  I went with Becky Call, the most amazing gospel doctrine teacher EVER, and got to know her better too!!
You can't see the four 200 year old chairs that came out of a castle in England in this picture of the room, but the young women's groups were amazed by that detail. 

And, of course,  the cherry on top of the spiritual cake for me, was when Elder Neal L Anderson brought his family into the brides room, including his young grand children and held out his hand to shake mine!  Then his wife talked to the family, with the little ones seated in a row on the central round seat in a hushed tone.  As the only usher in the room, I was close enough to hear. She told them about when she and their grandfather had been serving together in a very poor poor country, and how these lovely, but very poor brides would come to be married in the indredibly beautiful house of the Lord, and how their poverty didn't matter and they knew how much Heavenly Father  loved them and welcomed them to His house. 

As she spoke Elder Anderson stood by me, and even whispered a question about the room. 

When I got home I was warmly spent, I remember how Joseph Smith said that spiritual experiences can weaken us physically, which might explain my going to bed at 9:00.  Such a great and amazing week. We LOVE our temple!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment