Sunday, February 23, 2014

A Funeral and a Court of Honor.

 Another slow week at the senior Perkins household ... though Dad was very busy with finalizing for the grand reopening of the store in Orem.  He also had several church assignments, like the one shown above where he is teaching the family home evening lesson at one the care centers that he serves as high councilman over, as the two of them make up a branch.

 He also went visiting with the Branch President and a member of the Stake Presidency to member of the branch on Wednesday as part of Branch Conference.

Fortunately a church court and an audit that he was supposed to do during the week, were postponed, which helped him make it through the week.

Anyway, I spent Monday doing laundry and catching up on housework. I even made Long Rice for dinner.

On Tuesday, I took time to make this Easter shadow box in an alarm clock ... just for fun and to blog about.

I did house work too, but spent the better part of the day
reading the book for my ward book club, which I read in less than twenty four hours. It was a bit fluffy, but fun anyway.

Before work on Wednesday I starting working on my catalogue of craft supplies in my craft room. Then I worked a full day, accomplishing a lot, and I even remembered my obligation to list something on my Reclaimologist facebook  page the next day and took the picture below. I also had fun when Trevor and Nell and Eleanor stopped by to visit.  They were on their way to get the blue van in Payson to transport extra long wood for the deck Trevor is working on.
I listed the table and chairs on facebook before leaving for work on Thursday, and was happy when it sold in just a few hours.  I had lowered the price I had on it after doing it last fall for our last flea.o.logy, but it takes so much display space at the mall that it was good to say goodbye.

 On Friday I was off to Salt Lake for junking and ran into my friend Angie at the first sale.  We joined forces and hit another Estate sale and a DI ... good finds, so a good day. I even bought some scientific slides from a U of U professor's estate who worked on the development of the Atom Bomb ... Interesting, eh?

That night Dad and I hurried to Bountiful to attend my sister-in-law, Shirley's mother's viewing, but when we got there, about 10 to 8, we found they had closed it up early, oops ..

We did recover our date night by hitting the Cafe Rio there in Bountiful, which is always a good choice.

Dad had to work a half day at the Dan's on 70th in Salt Lake on Saturday, and I was scheduled to work as well.  As it turned out I got someone to come in for the middle part of the day, so I could attend Ruth Mecham's funeral, meeting Dad there.
Dad picked me up after work, and we headed north again.  We were a bit early for the Court of Honor we were headed to, so we stopped and saw how Trevor was doing on his deck.  He was out there working and we were just in time for Dad to hold one of the risers in place while Trevor (look for the red hat) secured it.

 Next it was off to Highland to see Austin get his Eagle award, along with two other boys.

It was pretty cool to find out that since scouting began, about 2% of scouts have earned this award, though in Mormon Church sponsored troops today, the percentage is around 5%.
Here are the Moes, including their new 15 year old refugee son from Africa, that has been with them for less than a month. Brandon, far right, is well on his way to getting his Eagle as well. 

Afterwards we headed to Heuers, where Robin fed Dad and me a yummy dinner, before the Moes joined us and we all played games for a while.  Good times, like the good old times!

Dad had branch conference this morning and the postponed audit from earlier in the week, so he missed our entire block, and I was on my own for Sunday School.  Dana DeWitt gave a great lesson, but maybe its just that I am getting more out of his lessons, because I am doing a better job of following along in the lesson manual, on my phone.

Ruth Clayson said something interesting in Relief Society.  She said that her granddaughter's father in law, who just retired from 18 years working at the Polynesian Cultural Center, and who does a lot of traveling out of the country for the church, said than whenever he flies back to the United States, no matter what airport he lands in, he can feel the spirit there.  I guess that's because its the promised land, I thought that was a pretty cool thing to think about.

After church Dad took a short nap before running off to do another audit for one of the wards as a high council assignment.  I got a longer nap, and then it was time to go to dinner at Brit and Spencer's place.  Dinner was lovely and it was so fun to talk about their school plans, etc.

We finished off the day with the grand finale of the Downton Abbey season on TV ... and that was our week.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for supporting Austin!

    I love the table and chairs! Not surprised they went quickly! Cute idea to do a Shadow Alarm clock!