Sunday, January 14, 2024

The Week That Nothing Much Happened.


Happy Monday.  I was feeling better after my 24 hour bug, but never actually left my chair much.  I was listening to a book, and spent the day polishing silverware.  I actually discovered that you can polish it with cleanser (like Ajax) much faster than you can with silver polish, though I realize that it probably takes off more silver than the polish does, so I am using it mainly for the tough stuff.  These two pieces are from our drawer.  When we got home from Finland the renters, did or didn't do something with the silver, because it was all practically black.  I took out about forty pieces that were the worst and took them upstairs to polish later.  Well, it is later ... after doing all those, I also worked on silverplate for the antique mall.  Probably another 40 pieces, then tackled those in the drawer downstairs that we were currently using.  I felt very productive for all that I mostly sat in my chair. 

Here the view from my chair, which I love. 

Dad managed to get out of the house and get some groceries for us.

On Tuesday I had committed to a guy on Facebook Marketplace that I would come up and look through some books at their store.  I did a lot of junking while I was in town, and when I got to their store, there were no books.  They were at another store, and one couldn't 'look through them', one bought them unseen by the pound.  I was so frustrated when I realized the person I was communicating with was using auto responses, without really reading mine.  (the store is a workshop for former prisoners, who are being repatriated.) The man I was working with at the store was very nice, but I did find a reproduction brown transferware aesthetic quart size pitcher for $2, which went a long way toward repairing my mood.  I stayed in town shopping until 7 to skip rush hour traffic, but unfortunately that put me in the middle of a snowstorm.  Yikes.  Fortunately, after driving double the time it normally takes, I got home safely. 

I went to work on Wednesday and Dad went down to Delta with four of the other missionaries, to make these benches for Mosida for the 'Rocky Ridge Venue' at Elder Lathrop's.  The materials had all been donated, and these were quite an upgrade from the log benches that had been there long enough to have the legs rotting off.  
Ron Crump and Elder Marvin.

Elder Lathrop and Elder Newman,

Elder Brimhall. 

the finished benches and Elder Newman. Elder Lathrop had welded all the braces with a retired friend who also knew how to weld.  The guys that day, mainly attached the wood seats. 

I went in to work on Thursday while Dad went to do his shift at the temple.  I worked with Pat and her new dog.  That was an adventure, but both days this week were so slow, that it wouldn't have mattered if I had worked alone.  Pat was so nice to come in at all, to work for Nikki, who ended up working for someone else the next day, who was sick.  And the puppy was adorable. 

 Pat lost her bloodhound last year, and this lost labradoodle puppy just showed up. (Yes, she called the pounds and puppy hot lines) The bloodhound had been her policeman son's partner, so when her son was killed in action 8 years ago, she took the dog, and that helped her with her grieving.  Even non-religious people at work took me aside to say that God had sent her this puppy. I don't know but that it was her policeman son. 

Since we're so short on action and thus pictures this week, I thought I'd share some past pictures I found searching for another picture this week.






All so happifying.

On Friday I headed to Orem for an estate sale. There were around 70 people in line in all.

The house is around the corner from Ashley's house, and across from the Junior High.  It's the little house that had a house built around it, leaving the little house's main structure intact inside.  I had always wanted to see inside.  It was fun, when I went in there was a large living room and kitchen in the front, then upstairs to be up on top of the old little house for a library.  I mostly bought books, and most of the people were there for the fabric that had been listed.  Whoa, like 40 women in line for the fabric room, and only four at a time were allowed in.  The books were pretty spendy, but I managed to get some good ones to resell, so I was happy.

Afterward I took Ashley's Christmas gifts over to her, as Andy had been sick on Christmas, and they had missed coming down.  It was fun to have a few minutes catching up.

I met Dad and Trevor separately at Sushi house in AF ... here Trevor is shown telling us about their Mexico humanitarian trip.  I literally had tears in my eyes for most of lunch. Of course, we were celebrating Trevor's 43rd birthday, which is almost incredible to think of as he is our 5th child, but then I remember that Belinda will be 50 this year.  

We both felt so thankful that we'd been able to help with all this good with our donations and the use of the van. It's not often one has a chance to be a part of something so big and life changing. 


Next, we met at Becca's to drop off the van, as they were using it to transport friends for Reagan's swimming birthday party the next day.  Becca showed us her cool jewelry drawers that Brady made in their amazing walk-through closet.  Dad teased Becca about still having her belt buckle she got as the first attendant to the queen of the Wahoo Rodeo she participated in when she was 16.  How cool is this?

I took Dad home before heading back to Orem to meet another dealer (Also a realtor who once did an estate sale with Becca on a house she was selling.) who is selling off a huge estate. I managed to spend megabucks for some great books and interesting stuff.  The man had been a Civil War and Revolutionary war reenactor, so they had lots of repro historical stuff that I loved. 

 Afterwards I headed to the Farm House Peddler in Orem, a newer mall there.  I loved this swan head and wanted it for my 'mount' in the 'Scottish Lodge' carriage house.  I was thinking of doing a paper mâché one myself, until I got home and really looked at the wall, that is now dominated with our huge ugly heater ... now I am rethinking the whole project. 

I did, however, bring home this adorable antique doll. 

She's perfect for this guest room and was a steal in the price department. 

Saturday was Reagan's birthday as she turned 11. This is Dad's social media collage.

This is Brady, Madi and Becca when they brought the van back after the party on Saturday. It's always fun to have a visit regardless of the reason. 

And in the midst of this long and boring week, Dad hung this antique type drawer in my bathroom for me.  It used to have the letters in a crossword jumble that spelled out all the grand kids names, back when they would all fit in a 98-letter space set up.  I've looked since then for a bit of wall space to hang it to showcase my miniature collections.   The funny thing is that back in the1990's, when I went out to Maryland to visit Julie, the trip that changed my life and turned me into an antiquer, she had a type tray full of miniatures in her bathroom at the time.  I laugh because at that point I thought it was an odd place to have it.  Yep, it's me learning and growing and getting it, finally, in just one more area. 

So that was our week, not much to shout about, but I am finally back to sleeping regular hours, hurrah!!  After being sick last Sunday it took until Thursday for me to get my days and nights straight, so maybe I'll be more productive next week.  But before you judge, just remember I did polish the silverware I set out to do 3 years ago.







 

1 comment:

  1. Son Scott, scribing for mother Julie by her hospital bed: She says "I'm alive. I enjoyed reading the blog". Scott says: Julie will get out of here soon but she is destined for some weeks in a skilled nursing facility for some rehab. She needs some strength back to be able to walk around on her own. Laying around all day in a hospital bed is no fun.

    ReplyDelete