Monday, October 30, 2023

When Witches Gather



On Monday we headed down to Gunnison for the funeral of Mable and Welby's oldest son.  Here Dad is shown with Darrell's two of his three surviving siblings, Morrie and Karen.

He was on the winning Mmen basketball team, and coached as well as teaching all his life.

Here we are with another cousin, Jerry Dibble, who actually lives in our ward.

After getting home Dad got to painting the fence, he had installed the week before.


Here it is all black.

For dinner we had a knock off of some fast food we saw at the farmers market in Provo a while back.  Of course, I used mushrooms instead of strips of beef, over fries done in our air flier, so pretty healthy and very yummy.  
Tuesday saw Dad out at Mosida, working on the shade structures some more.




That evening we all headed to LaVern and Ron's place for dinner. This is my hostess gift for LaVern.


It was fun to see her turkeys in her poultry yard.

Aren't they lovely looking?

Here's her lovely table.

And part of her flowerpot collection.

Here are the Gurrs, Sister Pittman, LaVern, the Smiths and Elder Brimhall.


The Hardmans, the Lathrops, Ron, the Marvins and Dad.

Also the Child's and Gurrs.  So fun!!

At work the next day Julie Smith came in and brought her two besties, Carrie Bateman, and Jill Chestnut.  I knew Jill before because she lived in our stake, after living out on the west side of Utah Lake.  Her husband Rick and Dad served together in the branch presidency of the nursing home branch our stake administers.  Small world.

Julie brought me the cute mushroom salt and pepper shakers set she found when they went to lunch at Cracker Barrell, that I added to my mushroom shelf in the kitchen.  Sweet.

My book club has switched to Wednesday night and was at Ann's.  We discussed the The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio, which we all loved.  It is a true story about a woman who largely supports her family of 10 children by entering and winner contests.

After our discussion we watched the first episode of a network TV show, based on a book we read this summer, Lessons in Chemistry. That was fun too. 

On Thursday Dad went back to the temple, after being closed for two weeks.  I, of course was at work again, and was thrilled when Bill and Janet Liberty came in to visit.  As you can see I am dressed in part of my witch costume for that night at Kimi's in Salt Lake.
I put together this hostess gift for Kimi, including a roll of Halloween toilet paper, and a Halloween necklace I had made. 

Katie, shown on the left here, picked me up along with her Mom and our friend Kathy Romero who is also a friend of Kimi's. Kimi is shown on the right. I love her Colonial Style witch dress, a first for me.

I ran into friends, Jenean, a former fleaology dealer, and Laurie, a former Treasures dealer, who I originally met as the friend of a former book club member.  Now both of them are friends of Kimi's.  It just gets more and more tangled.   Friends are just fun.

There were probably thirty witches at the shindig, some more dressed up than others. 

More cute ladies. 

And still more.


Here I am with a new friend.

And the girls I came with, plus Kimi.  Katie, Kimi, Sherri, me and Kathy Romero.


And here's Kathy, with a new friend, cool costume, and Katie. 

Friday was Emily's birthday; this is Dad's collage he posted on Face Book.

I worked at the Grove that day, and had so many friends come in, over the 6 hours, that was on a social high all day.  I also found a a couple of fabulous deals, so a good day overall.


Dad spent the day Friday, adding two by fours to the seams of the wafer board that makes up the outside shell of the carriage house, as per instructed by the city inspector. He also needed to upgrade some of the infamous Jim Hill wiring out in the carriage house...

Then he headed up to Park City to participate in a Barbershop show. 


Here's the bill, and the pretty sight after Dad left.

 

He also met Ed and Tiina Watts at the concert. Their son sings with The Lux Singers. Tiina was teaching Dad Finnish before our second mission. 

Saturday morning Dad and I headed to Boulder Colorado, where I was to pick up some dishes I'd bought on Market Place, before heading to Texas to see Emily and Sam's family.  On the way we stopped at Grand Junction to see their temple in the process of being built. 

As we drove up over the passes, there was snow at the ski resorts. 


Then when we got to the gal's house to get the dishes, we found snow there, and the next morning, after spending the night in Limon, we woke up to snow on the car.  Most of our drive in Colorado was with snow on the road, so it was a long, long drive. 

So here we are waking up Monday morning in Texas. 

 William shares his art. 

You can tell its Halloween season.

I told William his village reminds me of when we went to Tallinn, Estonia. 

How fun are the wrinkled pumpkins the next morning. 

So, we're here for a week of fun. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment