Sunday, October 8, 2023

Fall Color, Flea-o-ology and Family Events


Though we ended last week's blog with Monday, we forgot to add these pictures that show how Dad added lights to the new section of the roof inside the soon to be lodge.

As well as adding a security light, as shown in the upper right of this picture, on the main street side of the lodge. 

Next, we ran up to Darby's to borrow her little red car.  As you see the bumper on Dad's car is badly in need of replacement.  They told us it would be 3 days ... I took her car to work the next day ...

and the bumper was done by Thursday.  Thanks for the offers of a car everyone, and thanks to Darby for doing without until we got it back to her on Friday. 


Wednesday saw Dad back out at Mosida building yet another shade structure. Elder Gurr on the ladder welding and Elder Marvin helping to hold the brace in place.

               Here are Elder Crump and Newman taking down some barbed wire fence.

               Elders Gurr and Smith welding tabs onto the medal poles to attach lumber to...

It's nice to have men with skills. 

On Wednesday, three young women who are decorating a neighborhood in Daybreak (They are event planners) came in.   I rang up the sister-in-law of one of these girls, and her last name was Smoot.  I asked her if she was related to Abraham O. Smoot, the first mayor of Provo, and she said, no, but her sister-in-law and her cousin were both related to him.  I mention to them that my great-grandfather, Thomas Benjamin Clark had saved the life of A.O. Smoot on the trek west.  They had not heard the story, so I shared the details, of course you know I did.  A.O. Smoot spoke at my Great Grandfather's funeral and told how, when he was leading a group to Salt Lake City, and Thomas was along as a captain of a hundred, he became very ill with what we now call Mountain Fever.  Smoot claimed that Thomas' care saved his life.  

Now I need to head up to Day Break and see their handiwork.  Several houses on the Island there really out do themselves. 

Mary came by to buy this small painting from me ... I had bought it at the flea market, with her along, and she had decided that when she saw it she needed to have it.  So funny.  She argued with me about selling it to her for just $5 above my cost and wanted me to charge her full price.  I had to remind her that if it hadn't been for her, I'd wouldn't have even been in California to buy it. 

Dad came and got me after work, then we had some Cafe Rio before heading to see The Music Man at the Hale Center Theater in Orem.  Dad ran into one of the men from his Barbershop Chorus named Clyde Page.  He lives in Salt Lake and came for the quartet singing. 

It was an amazing show.  One of my favorites and seeing it big and brassy and bold in such a small theater, from the second row, made it even more amazing.  It was the first night of the production and we loved it so much that we have bought tickets to join the Heuers and Moes when the see it in November.

And to make the evening even more magical, the Music Man himself was played by Bronson Dameron, who lived in our Orem ward when we moved there.  We overlapped just a couple of years, but ran into his parents twice, lately, once at the MTC as we were all setting out on missions, and another time when we were all setting up displays for a Senior Mission opportunity fireside in Orem, last spring. 

Emily and Bronson met again at Nuskin, and hung out a few times.  How fun is that.  Well, he's an amazing actor, and the evening was unforgettable. 

Thursday was a day of celebration as Nell had her birthday.  We hope it was a perfect day. 

I drove up to Draper to pick up some dishes I had bought on KSL Classifieds. The mountains were just stunning.  Later I saw this picture taken at the mouth of Spanish Fork Canyon, and screen shotted it as a reminder to get up in the canyons and enjoy the leaves.

The dishes I bought was a turkey platter and 4 matching dinner plates.  I've been collecting turkey plates for 5 or 6 years, and have only gathered 3, so I was thrilled when I found these at an affordable price.  When I picked them up, the gal showed me other things she had listed including the tea set that goes with this tea pot that had belonged to her great grandmother.  I bought it as well and dropped it off at the antique mall on the way home. 

We also found out this week that Charley got a stress fracture from a hard landing at a Gymnastics/dance rehearsal.  Unfortunately, it puts her out of competition for a couple of weeks.  Sorry Charley. 

Friday morning found me out on Salem Pond, yet again.  I met with Ann and two of her friends, who are quickly becoming my friends as well. 

It was the coolest day of kayaking so far, at 44 degrees.

This is me with Janey and Melinda, Ann is taking our picture.  I can't wait for the leaves turn.  It's pretty dark as we get out there at 7:00 A.M. and beautiful as the sun rises. 


On the way home I noticed mushrooms growing in the grass by the assisted living center across from Peteeneet. 

They reminded me of some grass mushrooms I had seen in Finland.  Wish I knew if they were edible.  We found out this week that mushrooms are one of two sources of a substance known as a longevity vitamin, but fancy, interesting mushrooms are pricey. 

They start as this egg-shaped formation. 

So beautiful. 

At home, I have decided I want to have a Halloween portrait of the house.  I think I have decided on this angle, once the leaves on the house have turned, in evening light, with pumpkins lining one side of the front walk.  I hope it works out.  I have loved such house portraits online this year. 

My Halloween pillows. 

And the pottery jack in a witches hat I got as Ugly's Closet for five bucks last week. 

I'm feeling the season.  In fact, I found myself making spooky decor on Friday for the sale.  This is the speaker fretwork from an antique cabinet radio I got at the flea market last week. 

I bought this canvas print online and framed it that day. 

I dressed this mannequin I bought to resell as a witch. 

This is a black ribbon rose and rhinestone bridal bouquet I bought to add orange to, to make it into the bouquet for the bride of Frankenstein. 

After the van was loaded, we headed out to the farm to set up for flea-o-logy.  This is Katie's little girl.  She's a lot of fun.  But I realized that all the things I love in kids' looks are combined in this one little Chica.  She has natural curl and red hair, along with brown eyes and freckles.  Her mom added that she also has sass.  Which is why I chose the picture with her tongue out.  But the most fun thing is that she turned to me and said, "I love your hair too, it's just like Elsa's."  Her Mom says, Elsa's her favorite.  What an adorable thing to say. 

Then it was setup time for me and Dad. Here's the witch and the big metal antique rack I got in California, last week.

On the rack is an antique brass sign mold ... I thought these were just charming. 

Some of my Halloween decor items. 

And the Thanksgiving stuff, including the platter that came with the plates, since I already have two suitable Thanksgiving platters. 

I was so pleased that my clown stand from the last days of fleaology at my house sold and will no longer haunt the garage. 

There's the whole thing.

Katie, and her mom, Sherri really outdid themselves with yard decor this time. 


Then after we set up, we had a couple of hours to recuperate, Dad was at it again, putting the Jack-o-lanterns on the fence posts.  With the fleaology sign and the political sign for Teancum Clark, a ward member who is running for city council, it's a pretty busy view. 

Next, we took Darby's car back to her and went to dinner.

They had fun decor as well. 

Saturday dawned as Brady's birthday.  He and Hannah, (and Bri) were born the same year.  So funny, that three of the in-laws and Emily were all born in 1986, there were some high-quality babies born that year, is all I can say.

First thing on Saturday Dad went to Bartholomew Park at the mouth of Hobble Creek Canyon, where he met up with members of Becca's family to run in a fund raiser for Mason Smyth's family, a 33-year-old realtor in Becca's office who passed away suddenly.  Becca brought her oldest kids, but Dad took it from there. 

Here's our Titan. 

and Reagan as she runs in. 

Dad also ran into McKenzie Nielson, from our Payson ward who is the daughter Todd and Janice Nielson, who used to be my walking partner when we first moved to Payson.  Isn't her family adorable? McKenzie's husband is also a realtor. 

I meanwhile headed to the Payson Quilt show breakfast.  What a cute, quilted neighborhood.

Another beautiful, appliqued quilt.
There were so many charming quilts.

Here is sister Newman standing by an amazing appliquéd quilt. 

and here we are at breakfast.
Here's a detail of my favorite quilt.

How cute is LaVern's necklace.  She received it as a gift from one of her pre-school students, back in the day.

LeAnn Newmans daughter-in-law also got tickets for the quilt show breakfast.  She is shown here with Sister Smith. 

Then she took the picture of the Mosida friends. 

I headed right over to fleaology afterward, to check out the other booths, and do some pre-shopping. So many cute Halloween displays. 



We had two booths next to each other that had nothing but Halloween. 






I loved it all. 

This artist was there selling her paintings.  I bought this cute small mushroom painting. 

And of course, seeing friends is the best.  Here I am with Tiffany from Santaquin who bought the shelf I am holding from my friend Joanne Beddoes of my ward (I stopped by her house on Thursday to help her price before heading to Draper) and Joyce who is a long time (since elementary school) friend of Jann's who passed away last spring.  I do so love the reunion element of flea-o-logy. 

Then LaVern and Julie, worked it out to watch my booth for a while so that I could ...

Take off to attend Madi's baptism in Highland, as it was the most important thing that happened on Saturday.

They are all ready.

Reagan had her face painted after the race/fundraiser that morning with her grandpa and brother. 

Here are the grandmas and the girls.  Madi's other grandma has Anna hair. 

Here's the whole gang together to celebrate this most important day in Madi's life. 

Then it was a quick drive back to flea-o-logy for me.  I love the check-out desk that Katie made with architectural pieces she bought at the spring flea-o-logy. 

This smallish cupboard had to be the best antique at the market.

I was so tickled when Brady and Becca et al, came down to 'support' me.  I totally felt the love.  

This gal came by and bought the head she is holding.  It turns out that she is Nadine Evan's daughter-in-law and lives in Elk Ridge.  That was a fun meeting up.  She and her husband lived in Nadine and Mark's basement twice and were active in the ward as well, but we never met them.  Because once was when we were serving our first mission, and the other time was when we were serving our second mission.  How funny is that? But against all odds, we have now met. 

Richard LaJeunesse came by to introduce himself, and his wife and grandson.  He works at the temple with Dad, besides which the attended Olympus High together. That was fun too. 

After church I stopped at Cristie Peterson's to pick up some bricks she is giving me for my memory wall.  The wall that evidently didn't happen this year.  Maybe because I need to gather some more memory stones and bricks.  I can't wait.  But it was fun to see Cristie's charming back yard including her cute she shed. 

Then a few more shots at the house ...


and to all a happy spooky evening. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment