Monday, November 1, 2021

Junking and Costumes for All.


We had some fun outings this week, while in Texas, along with lots of junking, after all this is a trip to see family, and to find goods for my business.  On Monday that included taking Sam's mom, Emily and the girls to get pedicures.  

We went to eat Subway Sandwiches afterwards.

It was a fun girls day.

On Tuesday it was boy's day, as we all went to support William at his Taekwondo class.


As it turns out the class included four different families, and two of them were members of our church.

I did some junking on Wednesday, and got to see Abby, as she makes up costumes of characters in shows she watches.  I thought that was just perfect for Halloween week.

And we watched a few shows together ... look at the kids all snuggling into Papa.


Abbie went out to harvest the last canteloupe.

Emily kept us all well fed all week.  Here Abbie eats her special sushi roll.  Emily makes them each their favorite roll.




Another day there were German pancakes for breakfast.


Also a hit.  Yet another day she went Mexican and made us tamales. 

Also on Wednesday when we were out, I took a picture of this cloud picture-full sky.  I sent it to a friend, and she found similar things in the same four cloud formations I had.

Later I found the man in the moon in yet another spot.

While Emily was in town to pick up items for the trunk or treat dinner she was to be in charge of on Saturday.  She dropped me off at an antique mall, then took Dad along to tote the baby for her. I took pics of things I loved, but that were too rich for my blood. The book stack looking pictures is an english tin made about 1900.  The two hundred dollar price tag exceeded my budget.

Later that afternoon we headed out to an early dinner to celebrate Bekie who was about to receive an award at school.  Only one girl and one boy from each grade receives the award each year. 

Here she is with her principal. 

and another shot.

On Thursday Dad and I headed to First Monday Trade Days in Canton.  This tractor pulling a bench cart was our ride from the parking lot.

I thought these were a fun product.

As well as this cannon, both so southern. Moonshine and big guns, just says wild west, but I couldn't get used to the open carry thing.

I loved this junk art rocket light, though.

I also loved this corbel, and made an offer on it before being told it was sold.  Dang.  Still I did manage to find a lot of goodies, and I will include a loot shoot in the blog next week.  All in all I managed to spend some $600 on merchandise over the week.  

Here is Dad leaving with our second load of goodies. We had so much fun, that now we're wondering how I'll bring home all the goods from our Mission to Texas next year, if it works out.  I mean, imagine all this goodness every month for eighteen months.  I'm thinking a rental truck, Dad's thinking a container. Hey, I can dream.

 
Here we are in front of the First Monday Trade Days monument, commemorating its status as the oldest continuous  flea market in the USA, beginning in the 1850s. Please note the lock of hair blowing across my forehead.  It was the windiest day in the memory of all the dealers I asked.  Many popups had blown away, and been destroyed. Other dealers had taken off the tarps on their pop ups, others had anchored them, still others were physically hold theirs down.  The walls of the enclosures were whipping around some and smacking customers, such as myself.


That night we watched some TV, probably The Chosen, that we've been watching with Emily.


The next morning Emily made our favorite breakfast, Kodiak Cake Waffles, Blue Berries, and perfectly cooked eggs, all topped with real maple syrup.

Benny puts on his brother's boots, to go out and gather the eggs.

Friday was the day of the kids Halloween celebration at school, I loved how Emily did Abbie's hair for her costume.  I thought it was very clever.

After the kids had gone to school, Dad and I went to garage sales. I thought this was the saddest American Flag I've ever seen. 


While out and about we put the wrong number for one sale in the GPS, that took us on a wild goose chase, including about 10  miles of dirt road.  Then on our way out of another sale, also at the end of a dirt road, we moved aside to let a car pas, and got caught in a pile of loose gravel, it was very much like being stuck in a snow bank.  Fortunately we were in Texas, and virtually everyone who drove by stopped to help.

 

That night we met up with a couple of our missionaries from our first mission, who married each other.  They are in Dallas doing an Internship.  I loved this wall at the restaurant and took pictures of both sides. 

Because its made from rocks, and bricks, and blocks and tiles.  I am planning a similar wall for my secret garden, behind the garden house.

Here we are at the fresh mex restaurant.  Sister Ashlin Patterick and Elder Shryver Christian. Now Brother and Sister Christian who are finishing up school at Utah State.

The restaurant was a lot of fun, with this cement troth for a sink,

and salvaged doors everywhere. I love salvage style, as I am sure you are all aware.

 ... and this is Saturday morning cartoons, after a breakfast of presweetened cereal, just like when you kids were growing up.  Hot breakfasts every day but Saturday.

Here is Sam with his brother Paul who was visiting with his parents next door.  With Paul in the house half the people in the house had a version of that name.  Me, Abigail Paula, Paul himself, and his name sake, Benjamin Paul.  We could have sent next door for  Sam's Dad, Steven Paul, and had a majority.

That afternoon we loaded the car for the ride home.  I had just picked up this sign at a second hand store that day, but I thought it was so perfect for Emily's house, I added it to her Christmas 'basket'.  I sooo remember the days when I did a batch of laundry every single day.

I was visiting with Sheila later and noticed her draining rack over the sink.  I am pretty sure its a knock off of the Finnish Draining cupboard.  The nice thing is that this works over a sink without obscurring the window!! She loves it.

Sheila was watching her son Michael's kids, as he and his wife were moving house that day.  Of course cousin time is always fun.

Emily and I are headed over to the church to prepare dinner.  
  
I loved how Emily and her Talley Mom gussied up a Hoodie to make an owl costume.  Sheila had a owl mask, and Emily sewed 'feathers' to the sleeves and back.  


Sam and Dad brought the kids over to the church Trunk or Treat when it was time.

I loved these costumes of a couple of young teen boys.

Of course fun was being had back at home in Utah, and in Idaho as well.

first of all is Becca's Family.

Davin and Bri's family.

Charlies been dressing up all month!!

Here's more fun from Hannah, though not strictly Halloween, the little Budda is pretty scary. 

Andl here we see Spencer and Brittney's Disney Family, including Mom Daisy Duck, and Daddy Goofy.



Loved this couple photo too. BTW if you're like me you may wonder who Brady is portraying.  He is Fat Thor, from a Marvel movie.  

I had found a Kitchenaid Bread mixer at home, then at DI I found another for $8 and since I already had one, and I knew Emily has always wanted one, voila!!


Here's Benny in his Shark hookie and back pack.  He loves a toddler TV show that has a Baby Shark song, that he loves. Their dog also dressed as a baby shark.

And here it is.  I read two of these books during the trip and listened to the other two.  Two fiction, and two Non-fiction.  
Everything on this trip was just perfect, and we so appreciate all that Emily and her family sacrificed to make everything work so well.  Farewell Texas, we are driving though New Mexico now, on our way home.  Though I love the outcroppings of rock in the desert here, I did see them just a couple  of weeks ago, so blogging seemed like a good use of travel time.  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment