Sunday, November 7, 2021

Back to Work After Texas Adventuring.

Monday of this week saw us driving from Albuquerque to home, where we arrived about 7.00 pm.

Tuesday started with a walk with Ann for me, and a Dentist appointment for Dad.


Outside Tuesday morning, on November second I was surprised to see so many flowers still in bloom.

Dad got busy moving up the leaves.

and I did the promised loot shoot from our buying trip in Texas.

These are the goodies I bought for myself, the six vases in the left bottom of the picture were added to

my blue to green pottery collection.  Can you see which one has the added pieces?

I even added plaid bows I got at the dollar store in Texas to my curtains for more impact.

About the time we finished up with our individual projects, Becca dropped by to pick up coats her company collects for the homeless shelter this time of year.  We had a great chat.

After Becca left, I ran across the street to see if I could salvage a few bricks for my memory wall that will form my secret garden. When I got there Andy Benson, the new owner was taking pictures, and filled me in on a lot of the history.  He went to school with Brittany and Ashley, graduating the year between them.  


He told me that the church was originally built on the site where the tithing house had been and showed me which bricks had been reused from the tithing house. He also showed me which bricks had been formed and baked in a kiln on the site.  Some bricks were also shipped from back east and had a star and the maker's initials.  Last of all there were bricks that had been used to cover the church and make it look uniform in a remodel in the fifties.  He gave me one of each type.  I was so excited.

On Wednesday I started the anglofiling of my back booth by hanging the banners.  The next day I brought in the Union Jack rug from the family room.  I'm focusing on moving all my British connected stuff, like English dishes and tea party things.

On Wednesday Dad worked at Darby's and was able to finish up in the bathroom, and installed the bar between the kitchen and living room.

Dad did his temple shift for the first time since September on Thursday, as it was closed for renovations, and was assigned to officiate for the month, which is his favorite assignment.

It was fun to see this picture of my niece Mindy's daughter, Eden, who is now at the University of Utah, and is part of the color squad there. I wonder if she would even know her second cousin Scott if she saw him there.

And speaking of students, these students from Salem High School, were parked next to me when I came out of DI on my way to work on Thursday.  They were changing into white clothing they had just purchased at DI as they were headed to the U to see their team play off in a Volley Ball game and were planning a 'white out'.  I kind of laughed that they were so uninhibited as to be striping to their boxers to make the change.


Go Salem.

On Friday I went junking in Salt Lake while Dad worked on Darby's basement some more.  After doing some junking in town I went to see my friend Marci, its been years since I've been there and she's made a lot of wonderful changes to her decor. I love these late 1800's books, the bindings are so charming. 

Here are more of them.

Her husband Steve served his mission in Texas, thus the long horn trophy.

She still has some steam punk mixed in with the classic library goods.


Her bedroom is adorned with antique lace displays.  She is a very clever decorator.

She's also a fan of British royalty.  This portrait is Elizabeth, the Queen Mother of the current queen.



Dad managed to keep busy that day, and got much of this accomplished, though some of it he did on Saturday. The shelving and trims are really making it look finished.

On Saturday I  dropped Dad off at Darby's for the third day in the week.  I then picked up my friend Laura, and we headed to Ogden to the best antique show in Utah.  

I loved this button ball ornament.

And one of my favorite dealers showing off a magnificent, hand painted 1800's tray.

It was fun to run into a like minded shopper.

Laura likes antiques, but isn't really in a buying mode at the moment, and very generously helped me carry my finds.

After the show we checked out the local DI before heading to Bountiful to ...

 attend a wedding shower for my nephew Matt's fiance.  Here we see Aunt Nina and her girls.  For non family readers, we'll note here that Mindy, to the left is the mother of the beautiful Eden, I definitely see a resemblance.

Here we see Becca, the upcoming bride with Nina to the left and her mother on the far left.

and here are the cousins who were able to come, Kristen, Sarah, Mindy, Brooke and Mary.

JoLyn and Shirley chat.

And here Aunt Shirley and I flank Becca, the bride!  The groom however did not make an appearance, and I wondered where he was.

Later I heard that he was at the BYU games, as were my sons Spencer and Trevor and their children.

As soon as I got home, I hung the quilt I got at the show on the new rack Dad had already installed that I picked up last week at First Monday Trade Days. The quilt is the oldest I own, in fact I have never seen a red and white quilt from the eighteen hundreds, probably 1860's, before, and I love it.

That night we had a wonderful evening with the Kews.  We gave them the antique negative tin bath, we found in Kansas City and Terry gave me a nice tall stack of Christmas editions of Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion, for my perusing pleasure.  We also got to watch a favorite, British Who-Done-It, they like and ordered in Mexican food.  And yes, there may have been some coveting of Terry's Jadite Center piece. 

At home again Dad admires the strand of cash register keys I bought from Marcy on Friday.  He said that when he started checking at The Store when he was 16 he actually used this type of register.  That kind of surprised me.  He said it will be a great fidget toy for him, and he already has the one key that was stuck, back to working. 

At church Dad was released as the secretary of the Elder's quorum, and then instated as the first counselor.  He was thrilled when he found out that Gustavo Ramirez would be the new second counselor.

So that was our week and our day.  We hope that you all had as much fun and got as much done.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment