Sunday, June 6, 2021

In a DI Daze

So, in looking over our week, as we do while putting together our blog, we realized that we had gone to DI every single day it was open.  Oddly that amounted to visiting four different DIs in the five days they were open for business.


This week started for us, as it did for many, at the cemetery.  We I ran to the dollar store in the morning to get spinning flowers, as I had liked seeing them on a few graves in Payson, the day before.  We went to the Springville Cemetery first and left a couple, along with a balloon on Ben's grave. We also left a spinner on Philo and Hanna Anne's graves as well.  Then we drove to Wasatch Lawns in SLC.  These flowers were left for Clark and Jo's baby there.

This is Wayne's stone, then my Dad and Mom's.


We had been at Spencer's the night before for dinner, when Trevor called.  Spencer and Brit had had a friend beg off on joining them for a  BBQ so they had invited Trevor's family at the last minute, and us by default.  Being in the right place at the right time,I guess.

Eleanor brought her crocheting again, and I was still working on squares for the Granny Square afghan.  She said she likes crocheting together, and so did I.

We all watched the Jazz game after dinner, it was just like the old days, but with babies.  Trevor was remembering the time we went in the early morning and stayed all day to get Jazz playoff tickets.  He said he had recently told a friend that even though I was not a huge Jazz fan, that I had done that to support him.  That made me feel pretty good.


The kids had fun playing together.


On Tuesday Dad and I went and played Pickleball for the first time.  It was definitely a good work out.  We really want to be more active this summer.

That evening Dad went to his Presidency Meeting while I took these girls on a double grandma date.  We spent a half an hour at the DI, before heading to 

The Pizza Pie Cafe.  The girls had a great time, and didn't want it to end. 

On Wednesday, Dad stopped and borrowed the Moe's sheet rock jack in Saratoga Springs on his way to Darby's house and got hard at work, going back again on Thursday.

I had an appointment to drop off the rest of our garage sale stuff at DI that morning, and then, since they open at 9, just the one in Springville, I went inside, and found quite a bit of good stuff for resale.  I headed directly to work, where I remarked most of it and put it right in the store. 

That lead me to going back on Thursday morning at opening.  It was fun to run into a couple of dealer friends in line.  I could have bought this baby grand for $600, I thought that was amazing.

The shift lead checked me out at about 9:30 and after getting to the mall and putting some things out, one of them sold the same day.

A favorite customer, Linda, came in and bought this apron from me.  She says she loves to add them to her outfits to add a pocket.  This one was perfect, and she handed me the tag, and then wore it for the rest of her time in the store.  That was so fun.

I had asked my friend Laurie, who is a dealer, if I could add my chairs (which had not sold at the yard sale the previous Saturday) to her quite empty booth.  I told her I would tidy up her booth in exchange for the favor and she agreed.  I bought these chairs from my friend Wendy, 18 years ago, and painted them to match my pink and black kitchen.  I had pink and white striped wallpaper then, and hung hand painted floral trays about the cabinets.  That was really my favorite version of kitchen decor, before the one we have now.  I laughed, after setting up the display, when I looked down and realized I matched the display.  Another dealer was good enough to come over and take the picture for me.  Yeah, I know I get a kick out of some pretty odd things.

On Friday, Dad saw a set of kitchen cabinets at a yard sale while he was out running.  We went back, first thing, and bought them for Darby's apartment.  Then, since we would need the van empty later in the day, we drove to SLC to deliver them to her house.  I worked on crocheting all the way there and back, and Dad even stopped at a DI near her house and let me shop for a half an hour.


Later in the day we headed back to the mall to pick up the chairs Joyce had bought the previous Saturday, so we could deliver them to her in Erda. As always, Dad took the reigns and did the job.

On the way to dinner at Virg's I saw this unusually patterned hill, and took a picture.  Somehow it looks more like an abstract painting, than an actual view.

Virg's was decorated with Steampunk, which seems to have gone the way of the world.  We had great fish and chips, which I might mention, according to the Internet, have between 1,000 and 2,000 calories.  YIKES, a real deal breaker for this girl who aims at 1200 each day.  Obviously not my best diet day, but I did learn all about a show Joyce likes, called Ice Road Truckers ... she enjoyed telling us about it.  It never ceases to amaze me, how may things, a number of things, one might say, are new in the world ...  I guess I am not the only one in my family who is interested in the curious and curiouser. 

Driving home with the light on in the van, I was able to finish up Granny Square number 108 as we pulled in the drive way, and now I move on to putting them together.  All that driving, for the week, also allowed us to finish listening to the new Biography about Dallin Oaks.  Wow, what an amazing man.  Just listening to the book made me feel that my life had been wasted, and that I was the laziest person ever created.  We recommend the book for your reading, or listening pleasure.

As soon as Dad got home from running on Saturday morning, we drove up to Ogden to the KSL yard sale, a sort of flea market being held there.  I was a bit disappointed in the fact that there were less than a hundred dealers, but I did manage to spend about $35, not much considering we spent much more than that on gas.  Of course we finished up at the DI there, where Dad got into the spirit of things, and found the soft sided cooler we've been wanting to keep in the car, along with some LDS DVDs to send to Emily, as they are not available in the second hand market in Texas.  I also found two original paintings for $2 each, one of which is a keeper.

We also went to Viniquers, one of my favorite antique stores in the State, and were sad to hear that it was their last day.  She is tired of being tied to the store, and they are looking for a smaller place.  She let us walk over the property, which is amazing.  Dad and I were honestly a little tempted to buy it and start our own store.  Of course it would have been far from practical for us.



A full set of chintz.... oh if only I had found it when I was collecting.

Here I am with adorable Heidi.  She also owns the Acorn Antique Show there in Ogden.  The last of the really big shows in Utah.  She inherited it from her mother, and has managed to keep it together, which no other show has been able to do.

That night we went to Karisa Capps' wedding reception in the north end of Orem, where we saw the Watsons for the first time since our second mission.  We only saw them once, at a reunion between missions, so it was fun to catch up.  It turns out that they will be heading out on another mission to South Africa in January.  We are so excited for them.

Karisa's mom is a first cousin to my friend Kimi, it was fun to connect.

Hers was a woodland theme wedding ... the first one I have been too. 

The two Sister missionaries, are Elise Peterson Morgan and Kaitlin Kunzler, both of whom were in her MTC group.

The refreshments were like a giant charcuterie board ... soooo fun.  The GF crackers made us smile, as there as so many gluten free Finns ... it took us back.

The woodland cake was so charming.

Oh how we love these missionaries.

Davin and Bri, et al, went to Pioneer Village at Lagoon and took a photo of Brigham Young's desk ... as you see the desk itself is similar to the one I have in my 'prophets' room, but the unusual crown does not sport a beehive, as I erroneously recalled. They were so awesome to scout it out for me.

Today we had a wonderful set of church meetings, and had made arrangements to have ward members who are relatives join us for dinner.  Far right is Scott's cousin Jerry to whom he is related on her father's side, and Debbie on the far left is her husband's first cousin, on his mother's side.  Debbie's son Shane shared with us a talk he had given in the ward when we were out of town, and is shown with his two youngest children, who were interested to know if we had ghosts in the house. 

We told them our one small ghost story, but they were impressed by the rainbows cast through the stained glass window in the parlor.

So that was out week. It was the people we met up with that made it special.  We love you all and appreciate the beauty so many of you bring into our lives.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment