Sunday, June 27, 2021

Back From Boise to Magical Mona

You may recall that we drove home from Idaho last Sunday so we could have a productive day on Monday.  As it turned out we were so exhausted Monday that we got next to nothing done. (a couple of hours working on the blog was all we managed.)  We were just sitting in our chairs reading when Nell called around 3:30 saying she had a friend with left over strawberries from Pleasant Grove's Strawberry days. We jumped in the car and drove up there to get them, then went to Jeff and Robin's where I finished cutting them up to freeze dry.
Here are Dad and Jeff in from of the freeze dryer.

Robin sent me a picture about a day later with the finished strawberries.  We were so grateful to have something productive and motivating (the strawberries were not going to last) to do.  We also got to visit with the Heuers, while they fed us left overs from their amazing Sunday dinner.  I miss seeing them.

On Tuesday we puttered around the house, and then in the afternoon we headed north to visit Cheryl  Here we are in front of the Seville.

Cheryl was heading out for a walk and saw us checking in in the lobby.  I love her U of U enthusiasm.  We had a great talk, and took her some pictures of family members she had requested.  Afterwards we went to the sushi buffet place, where I did a much better job of eating healthy.  Dad says I can only go there once a week.  hahahaha

Meanwhile in Texas the Talleys went camping with a few other families.  Looks like they had fun.
About the same time Davin's girls were setting up a tattoo parlor and guess who their first customer was.  Good thing he has mighty guns, so there is plenty of room for their art.
I worked Wednesday and Thursday, the guy with the blue car is a dealer, who brought in his project to show us how much he's gotten done on Wednesday.  The red car was a customer who came in on Thursday.  He bought a couple of heavy metal pieces, the dealer had marked as pieces of railroad track cut up for paper weights.... hahahaha, very creative, the man said they were for hammering out dents in doing body work.  We're always learning at the antique mall.

Dad worked at Darby's as usual on Wednesday, but on Thursday he went back to the temple to do his first shift in literally years.


Because of his temple time, he wanted to work at Darby's again, to give himself a second day for the week.  He suggested that I could go junking while he worked, so I dropped him off at her place after 8 and went to stand in line at my favorite DI, the one in Sugarhouse.  Over the years I found some great stuff, as I was waiting this man came and set up a chair.  I hadn't thought of that, but he said he needed to, because he had been climbing a mountain that morning.  Whoa, he had climbed half way up Mt Olympus.  Here he shows a picture of himself at the half way point ... I thought Dad would get a kick out of that.  He said he does it twice a week.

The pallets of mask and sanitizer were at two different DI's, someone thinks there is no more need for them, anyway.

Darby's hair is almost to her waist.  Here we are heading out to take her truck to the shop.  There was a huge traffic jam south bound in from of her house.  We did some tricky maneuvering to get the truck to the shop and get back.

Dad was able to get the largest bedroom entirely sheet rocked, including inside the closet, all in that one day.  Darby headed off to work and called to say the traffic jam was not just on Redwood Road, but continued up Bangerter and included I-15 ... we decided to spend the night since we planned to attend a flea market at the South Town Mall early the next morning.

Rather than trying to drive to dinner, we looked on line and found this restaurant was just a mile north of Darby's on Redwood road, and walked there and back.  The food was really good.

At the flea the next morning I saw this Blue Bell Icecream freezer and took a picture of it for Sam.  A little our of its element in Utah, don't you think?  I also ran into my friend Nicki at the sale, though I think she found more goodies than I did.

Davin and Bri stopped by after we got home, and brought us Sour Dough bread.  I've been looking for a regular supplier, and had intended to go to Abigail's in Spanish.  The bread they brought was 100 %  whole wheat and had only two other ingredients.  It had herbs, and is exactly what I have wanted.  I may just give up my quest to make good sour dough, which I have been on since getting home from Finland.  Thanks you two.

Next I headed south to attend a barn sale being run by a former fleaology dealer, Brandon.  He is so very talented and has a personality like Ben's, so he is a pleasure to know.  In their add on line they said the Barn doesn't have an address, but pictured a map and said to watch for signs ... these are the signs, I laughed and laughed.  I was so very charmed.

The barn is newer, but has three cupolas to make up for that fact.  Brandon and his brother are reinventors in a big way.

I was tempted to take home one of these tin geese.





Here I am with Brandon in front of a rusty old corrugated silo.  On Thursday night Dad and I had googled fire flies in Utah and found that they are sometimes seen in Mona at the Mona Ponds.  It said the scientists who finally documented them, something like 5 years ago, after years and years of rumors that they existed there, had stood in the marshy water around the ponds in hip waders, just after the sun went down.  We talked about going down to see, but then decided we weren't too keen to be mosquito bait, after all.

I asked Brandon about it and he told me wonderful tales of growing up seeing them.  About the quiet life on the back side of Lake Mona, and riding down the water ditches with his grandpa as they went out to flood irrigate the hay pastures in the late evening, while sucking on green apple sucker.  It was lovely, and I left with a promise that even though there had not been fireflies this year, probably because of the drought, we'd be in touch about the best time to see them next year.

I stopped for a selfie on the way home.

and also stopped by their shop on main in Mona.

The best husband ever put up the sign I had bought, when we got home.  This lead to a chain reaction, -as he moved the Save-a-Nickle sign to the wall over the door to the dining room, (Anyone want the old doorbell), which required a little paint, so while it was out I painted the shelf extension in the family room created when we refloored in there and moved the huge cupboard over to cover the small window.  I not only painted the shelf but started looking around and found the never painted trim in the kitchen from when we tore out the tile, yes, five years ago, as well as the unpainted part of the window frame that was exposed when Dad tore down to the brick wall, sometime before that ... Yeah, I know ....

Isn't it perfect?

We did some shopping after that, and then met up with the Crumps for Mexican food.  They will be released from their current mission in August, after a year, and will start planning another mission that they hope will take them out of state.

This morning we headed to church as usual, then immediately after went to the care center where Dad had arranged for the sacrament all month.  He actually sang a duet with John Clark, they sang God of Our Fathers, and it was wonderful.  I also got to speak and told the story of the Finnish man who saw angels when he was sick as a child, and searched for the true church for 25 years before finding it.  I am sure I have told you all this wonderful story. 

Its amazing to me that I have driven past Mona repeatedly for my entire life, and it took until now to stop and see the town.  I am sure it will not be my last time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment