Sunday, November 12, 2023

Projects Aplenty


Monday's project was the Sisters at Mosida, finishing up the quilt top that we are making for our Young Service Missionary, Elder Marrott.

Here's the moral support for those at the Machines.

And here is the finished quilt top, with Sisters, Gurr, Pittman, Crump, Hardman, Newman, Smith, Marvin, Lathrop and Perkins. 

Sister Lathrop did the embroidery in the middle of the quilt.

The Elders were busy finishing up the roofing project over at Fort Laramie. 

And just to show that boys never grow up.  Elder Marvin (a Chemical Engineer by profession) brought back a tiny snake to scare the girls.  

That afternoon I sorted the goodies from our Texas trip. 

So much vintage goodness.

Sorting new acquisitions, is a never-ending project, and I admit, its one I enjoy.  The green and cream 1920's enameled stove doors were one of my favorites.  I plan to keep one ... should be fun.

These antique calendar plates were a steal.

And of course, books and book ends, for my new 'book store' booth at Treasures. 

Then there were the primitives.  I have sold many of these old wood potato mashers, including one on Thursday ... which I quickly replaces with these three. 

Meanwhile, Dad was working on his favorite project.  That day it was moving the power box. 

It was a bonus when Rick Chestnut (with whom Dad served in the nursing home branch) was driving by and saw Dad out working on the carriage house and stopped by.   I had seen his wife Jill the week before we went to Texas when she stopped by with Julie Smith (from Mosida) with whom she is friends.   

But even better, was when Rick realized that Allen Ewell was our electrician who was supervising the work, because Rick and Allen used to work together at BYU.  And even better, as a side note proving that everything leads to Mosida ... Allen and LaVern Crump are first cousins. 

On Tuesday, as Dad continued to work on the carriage house project, I went to the temple in Provo, then did some junking and picked up a couple of purchases from Face Book Marketplace in North Couty, before landing at Barb's in Saratoga Springs to work on my big Mosida Project, the photo book that will represent this year.  She is so good at this, and she is teaching me well, because I was able to actually make progress on the project the next day as well, on my own. 

On Wednesday, Dad worked on the Carriage House again, as he tries to get as far as possible for use at Thanksgiving Dinner.  My project was using a great idea I saw in Texas at the Antique Company Mall.  Where I saw a book dealer using the old vertical metal plate racks that were so popular 20 years ago, and are easy to find cheaply, as a way to display opened books.

Here's another one on the other side of the booth.  I found both of these outside in our yard, and paid $5 each for them. 

I got a message that day from Julie Smith's daughter upper right, sending me this picture of them at my booth at the Grove, where Julie bought this cute little shadow box I had for sale there.  Isn't she the cutest?  The box itself is a rectangular oil can with one side cut away. 

On Thursday, Dad was off to the temple for the day, which didn't stop him from working on the MAIN project when he got home.  I, meanwhile, at work was adding some finishing touches to my Thanksgiving booth. 

Friday was a ditto of Thursday, except for Dad at the temple. I worked a third day at Treasures and he worked the whole day on the Carriage House. We watched a Halmark Christmas movie after dinner. 

Saturday was another project day, and I am very proud of my procrastinating self for finishing not one but two projects.  First was this table runner.  Last year before Dad's cousin Cathie remarried, she was dejunking as she prepared to move into her new husband's house.  She had her own business working with vintage textiles at one time, including patterns she had made up to do heirloom sewing.  She had many vintage clothing items, but also sort of a scrap box of unfinished bits.  The wonderful heirloom quality of these bits, impressed me with a desire to put them together.  I took them home and arranged them as a table runner, and then put them in order in a box and put the box in my sewing closet.  Well, since the theme is clearly a Christmas one, I actually talked myself in to getting them out and actually putting them together.  Voila'. 

You can see some of her applique work here.

And I even used the tiny quilt square packet I got at this year's quilt show breakfast to make the saw tooth edge on the short ends of the runner.  
Dad put up the only picture of himself he has, at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, when he did his original basic training, on Face Book for Veteran's Day.  

Then Dad went out and was putting up sheet rock in the carriage house all day.  He also put in the window we bought at a historic house sale in Provo last year. 

After Dad left to go to the BYU game, I worked on another project I had procrastinated.  When the Kew's moved last year, I inherited this wreath, minus about 2/3s of the ornaments, as it had been in an accident.  In my defense, it sat in its wreath box (Thank goodness it had one) in the family room for a year, while I collected pink ornaments to add to it.  In the end I added silver ornaments too, but it feels so great to have the project done, and I love how it turned out. 

Dad of course enjoyed his company at the game more that he enjoyed the actual game, as BYU lost profoundly. 

He got home and to bed after 1:00, yawn.

I caught a picture in the hall at church today of him commiserating with Kenton about the game. 

And that was our week of projects.  Someone at church, said, "You two always seem to have a project going."  No truer words...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment