Sunday, November 19, 2023

Of Deer and Lambs and a Lion.

Happy Fall Ya'll. The girls spent our 3 hours at Mosida raking leaves ... yes, we did. 

Then, of course, the boys came to light our fire ... because that is what boys like.


Here we see Sisters Gurr, Marvin and Smith hard at the leaf gathering.

And there's nothing like a bonfire to make you want to gather ... something deeply instinctual, I guess. 

These soot leaves were everywhere.  I tried to move one, and it crumbles to dust.  So very cool. 

Dad climbed up on the roof when we got home and realized ...

That the stove pipe going up from the back of the wood burning fireplace that had been installed while we were at Mosida that morning, would, once it was surrounded by the chimney, block the route of the power box lines, which we had spent 1100 dollars to move.  

We got to relax and have fun with the Heuers and Moes before heading to the play that night though, having dinner at Applebee's first ... It was cool enough to warrant wearing my favorite Norwegian Wool Sweater ... do you like the deer on my sleeve?  Its classic Nordic design. 

The Music Man, for our second time ... The mayor does a great job of telling everyone to quit standing around like a bunch of Shropshire sheep, it's one of my favorite lines.  Because we had added the tickets to see it for a second time, we were across the theater from the rest of our 'party' who had booked earlier.

Dad ran into Greg Welling who used to work with Dad at the Corporate Stores.  He almost always sees someone he knows at these plays.

We got this picture from our girls in Texas, as Darby flew down for a few days with Emily's family.  

Tuesday morning, I noticed sparkles on my ceiling and found that they were the result of a crystal necklace I had hung over a chair.  It makes me happy, so the necklace is still there. 

Dad met with some guys from the city Tuesday morning to figure out what to do about the power line, only to be told we have to move the main box again .... arrrrggg.  The bonus is that Liberty Kirk, one of the power guys from the city, shown here with Dad, is the son of Caren Kirk, a neighbor I've gotten to know through ministering. So that was fun.
And look who came to help Dad with his building project on Wednesday. 

I meanwhile was putting out Christmas stuff at the mall.



Including the pink wreath. 

This little gal came into the mall and negotiated her own price on this lion.  She'd found it outside for 3.50, but she only had 2 ... yep, who could say no to that face. 

When I got home, my package with canvas prints had come.  I had framed this one in an antique frame, and it had sold within 3 weeks, so I thought I'd better order another one.  Sheep flock prints are pretty popular right now. 


Then it was off to book club, here are Joyce, Ann, Heather and Sandy.

Me with Suzanne and KD

Carolyn, KD, me and Brittany. We got to plan our Christmas luncheon, which they always let me host ... can hardly wait.  Our book was about a man who spent 28 years in prison, before being exonerated on a murder charge ... it was in Alabama, and just sickened me to read how the lawyers, judge and police lied, manipulated, bullied their way to the original guilty charge.  The man had even been told by one of the guards during the trial, that it didn't matter if he wasn't guilty, they knew it was one of 'them', (He was black) and he'd just have to pay the price.  The name of the book is The Sun Does Shine. 

But my faith in humanity was renewed at work the next day, when this man bought the orange VW bus, because his daughter-in-law just finished restoring one with her father who is dying of cancer.  He thinks that this gift will be a constant reminder to her of the time she spent with her dad at the end of his life.  I just loved that.

After work I headed over to the ward where we all sat in a circle and played a favorite things game for Relief Society.

Each person brought a bag with something they love, and shared their story a bit. I got to take home a bag of healthy snacks and some zinnia seeds from the sister shown far left in this picture, Heather Harmon, as she had salvaged them from her garden.  I took a small antique mug, and postcard. 

At the grove the next day, I just loved this wreath, all full of deer, Santas, houses and mushrooms. 

This customer came into the store, that day.  She's told me many times about when her daughter used to date Ben, and how they met, which is sadly funny.  I've never been clear on who her daughter was though

But this time she showed me her picture, and I recognized her as one of Ben's old girl friends.  How fun is that?  So how did they meet?  She and a friend were driving down State Street when they got pulled over by a light and siren ... and yep, it was Ben, and I think Nate Fratcher, someone correct me if I'm wrong.  How funny is that?

It was a good day there at The Grove, as always, I see so many customers, dealers and friends, who come in, and I love it. 

Saturday morning we headed to Salt Lake for my niece, Mindy's oldest daughter Eden's wedding. It was held at the St. Ambrose Catholic Church near Spencer and Brittney's house.


It was fun to see Erik up from California with his two older girls, Ella and Lilly.  I can't believe his oldest is 12!

Here are Jason and Bruce.

Jason brought his girlfriend, who is from Vietnam.  She's adorable and a math genius just like him.  She is currently working on her doctorate. 



It was so fun to talk to them.  And yes, Darby I said hi to Jason from you.

Eden and her groom were in the Honor Guard together at Brighton High School.

Before the wedding I picked up some books I bought on Facebook Market Place.  Then Bruce brought some more books I got on KSL Classifieds and had had delivered to him.  Then after the wedding we went to pick up this majolica plate that is older than the 1880's, also from KSL.  It was a family heirloom and had been on KSL for a week.  She said she was selling it because her kids had no interest in the family pieces ... It just makes me sad.  I paid $10 for it.  

Isn't that amazing?



Here are some of the pictures of Dad's work on the carriage house this week.  With all the mess ups and changes called for by circumstances and the city, he's not nearly as done as he wanted to be, but we will have thanksgiving here regardless.

Just thought I'd share a few more sheep.  This is a nativity in a nutshell that we got in Mexico on our cruise in 2022.  Note the important 5 characters. 

And of course, there are the little nativity sheep, that I got at The Grove a few weeks ago. All five, plus an antique Santa for $20

Here's one for sale on Ebay.

And when we were in our guest room, deciding about the fireplace, I realized that I should take this picture into the mall to sell, since they are such hot sellers.



So, as we were waiting for the meeting to start, this morning at church, our former bishop, who was sitting behind us, was talking about retiring, and asking how much we like our mission etc. Then he said his wife can't retire for 3 years ... then he started telling me about their hobbies.  He said that she knits, but not just with store bought yarn.  She gets shorn wool, washes it, cards, spins it, and finally knits with it.  He's an amateur black smith, and I think they'd like to go to Nauvoo.  I hope they get to, but I also know that so do the majority of senior missionaries.

Last of all is Dad's pictorial of the word for thank you in Finnish that he got to give when he came into Primary today, as I was subbing for Tina ... Kittos.  They were singing a song that has lots of thank yous in other languages. 

And last of all, Sister Horn introduced the Attribute of Christ for November ... and it was being a caring shepherd.  Our last little sheep of the week, as Jesus cradles the dear little lost lamb in his arms.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment