Sunday, July 2, 2023

What Were We Wearing?


On Monday, this gal was dressed in a Mary Engelbreit print pioneer apron and skirt, possibly not exactly period.



These guys were wearing their thinking caps, that look a lot like cowboy hats here, as they jerry-rigged this speaker support. 

Can you 'wear crutches',  Well this boy did for the entire trek ,,,


This is the guys waiting for their next part in the Jens and Elsie vignette.  It was my first time to see what happens at the top of the Rocky Ridge reenactment.

A favorite view.

These ladies were wearing red.  I love that, and it's not a usual color for reenactments, though the real pioneer women did wear red. I own the bodice of a 1850's baby dress that is red with a black print.

And look who was at Mosida?  Though I suspect it was a different Zac Hall, since ours is actually Zach Hall, but that was fun.  It went into the mail pouch that Dad wore on Monday night, as he did the Ephraim Hanks vignette.

I found this cool shield Shaped Superman stone, that I S'ed to 

award to Elder Marrott, who saved the day repeatedly that day. 

A quiet moment outside on Monday ... no need to wear our hats in the lovely shade outside. 

And here we see Uncle Trevor wearing 3 kids. He stopped by to visit Emily when he was in Texas for a work trip.

I just love this.

And the Talley's all wore red for this family portrait on the front porch.

Of course I'm still picking off  photos from IG of Charley,

and her family wearing Kimonos on their trip to Japan last week.

My house is back to wearing Hollyhocks.  I love it. 

and these young 'uns wearing pioneer clothes are plum tuckered out, and cannot go on ... So, while they lay there I told them the story of the Grandpa who had been one of the rescuers of the Handcart people.  He was at a family gathering, forty years after the rescue, that included the other side of the family too, probably a baby blessing or the like. He there retold the story of a single rescue he'd performed.  He said as he rode into the camp of the freezing and starving pioneers, he had a prompting that perhaps some had given up before getting to the main camp, so he continued down the trail and he saw a dark spot in the distant snows.  When he got there, he found a young man who had despaired, and was praying for the wolves to come and finish him off.  The grandpa, then a young man, helped the other young man onto his horse, and brought him into camp where he found the boy's mother who had been praying he would be found.

After the story, the grandfather of the other half of the family asked ... "Did your horse have one white foot and a blaze on its nose, was the blanket you wrapped him in red and black plaid ... I was the discouraged young man you saved." 

Dad retold the same story at the large meadow at the end of the trek, so hopefully these young men will remember the jest of the story.

We found the daughter one of Dad's fellow temple worker, Elizaeth Bennion, all dressed as a pioneer, and it turns out she also grew up in Sister Newman's ward ... yep, a double connection here.

Here we are after Mosida on Tuesday at Costco, still wearing our Pioneer duds, which always makes for lots of fun comments.  Here we are with our former neighbors Bonnie and Dennis Smith. My favorite comment was the man checking receipts who said, "What the heck, shouldn't you two be out foraging." 

Then I went home and I put on my fairy wings and took some more wings and a couple of fairy dresses to my friend Nicole's kids. 

Then Nicole donned some wings as well, and we went to the fairy party my friend Suzanne hosts every summer.  We ran into Denise Ekins and her daughter Chelsea with her kids.  How fun is that?

Here are Dottie and Skyler with some of the fairies. 

Here they pay obeisance to the fairy queen.

The fairies perform for the queen.

Suzanne reads a fairy story her mother once wrote, as one of her fairy daughter's stands by. 

The fairy Queen, another of Suzannes daughters, holds Dottie for a picture. 

Here I am with my wings, and Suzanne as a druid, without wings ... a week before we were both wearing books character costumes ...

Here's a selfie on Wednesday morning with Sister Brimhall and Sister Newman.
Then this gal showed up to the women's pull, wearing jeans and a shirt... she was not wearing the required pioneer garb ... so I loaned her my apron, doesn't she look great.  

There he is again ....
I love the socks the trekkers wear.

On Thursday, wearing casual clothes, I ran into these gals from my ward while walking with my friend Tina at the cemetery.  I had to get a picture because Renee Crouch was with them and I've not seen her for over a year (They got chopped off the ward at the same time the Ekins were chopped off the other side) .  Marie Hatch and Raelene her sister in law, were the others. 

Tina and I are wearing bright colors. The rest of the day was spent with me at work and Dad at the temple.

On Friday I met Ann at Salem pond again ... 

She brought her friend Janie ...

Here I am wearing a life vest ... with Ann and her Dog, also wearing a life vest ...


and Janie. 

Have I mentioned how beautiful and calm this pond is?  

I worked again that day, still trying to empty out my van ...  bringing in and marking this red transferware set was helpful. 

Of course, wearing a gymnast outfit is mandatory for Charley and her friend to make a spider. 



and doesn't  Harrison look good back in his old fedora?

Dad wore his Hawaiian shirt to the theater with J. Scott to see the latest, and probably the lastest Indiana Jones movie.  Jeff arranged for us all to go. And Dad ran into Darin Peirce, whom all you old Macey's people will recognize. 


.. and as you see these Perkins girls will be wearing a cute little Rosie puppy from now on.   So very much loved.

And the catalpa trunk that Ben made, is wearing blossoms ... what a tenacious set of roots. 

On Saturday, I did some junking and visiting ... (Here I am with our Brittany's twin ... her name is Brandy, she was born October 24, 1975)

Dad, of course, spent the day wearing grubbies at Darby's, and even got Trevor, wearing his Van Halen shirt, to come up and help him with trading out the fridges. 

He also stopped at Ashley's to drop off some cans, that Zach recycles, and pick up some bottles that I will recycle into a pathway ... I know it looks almost like she is wearing the box.  Thanks Ashley!!

I went to Trader Joe's to get some goodies, and some flowers for Keith, who had surgery on Thursday.  I am shown here with Chuck, who got stuck visiting with me for an hour, after I was supposedly just dropping the stuff off, when I locked my keys in the car.  He was very gracious and visited, as did Keith, who talked to me from the hall as he was not dressed for company. 

Keith later sent me a picture of the flowers I had dropped off. 

This morning when I was wearing my birthday suit in the tub and was reading, I forgot to turn off the water, because the spigot is so low, its below the water level, and one needs to pay attention.  Reading Emma is not really paying attention ... yep, the tub overflowed, with me in it.  Yikes. 

And last of all, I wanted to share this story.  I am in Sunday School, and Brett Christensen is teaching.  His folks are in the ward, and the topic turned to the 'bubble' that many Utah members of the church created around their families back in the 60's and 70's and some later, by excluding non-members from the social circle of themselves and their children. The point was that church members now try to include everyone, instead of fearfully huddling in their bubble. A couple of sisters who grew up outside of Utah shared their thoughts about living 'Bubble Free', then one sister said that it was the Baptists, who had the bubble where she lived in the south.  Then Brett, said, "Yeah, my Mom really made a bubble for our family," and his very, very  kind and inclusive mother jumped up and shook her fist at him ... of course we all knew he was jabbing her, and she was not guilty .. but the best was when the gal who was half way through telling about being outside this bubble while living in Benjamin, when Brett made his jab, as a inactive member, finished her story, by saying ... and when we moved to Payson and lived across from the Christensens, it was Raylene who invited me to girl's camp, where I had my first spiritual experience.  It was just beautiful. My very inclusive Mom would have cried, like I did. 


Dad went to the concert in the park, while I stayed home and read.  He got a chance to see VL Barnett, who installed the fireplace in the library at the time they still lived in the ward here around 20 years ago.  They had fun catching up.

  The concert in the park is now in its 121st year. They are held in the park here every Sunday at 8 until Labor Day.  They hold the final one as part of Onion days. Please, let us know if you plan to come, we'd love to join you at anyone of them. 


I'll finish with what the sky was wearing this week.  Rachel Curfew is the mother of one of our missionaries, Sister Hayley West.  She was very active on Missionary Moms and Dad friended her on FB.  Anyway, she's come with her daughter to a few missionary gatherings, so we got to know her pretty well.  Anyway, she came and spoke to us at a fireside out in Tooele, and their trek was this week, but it was Thursday to Saturday, so we didn't get to see her. She posted this beautiful sunset today, so we thought we'd leave it as our last word, so to speak. 

 

1 comment: