Sunday, January 9, 2022

New Friends, Old Friends, and Finnish Connections.


So I started this week doing what I best love, I went junking as a farewell to Boise.  We packed up at Britt's and headed south, but not too far, just as far as the Antique World Mall in Boise, where I spent an hour junking, while Dad headed to Cosco for gas, then checked to see if they had any snowshoes left, and voila!!  He now has snow shoes too.  This picture shows the door of the mall, with pictures of probable shop lifters.  The note says something like, if you are this person, you are not welcome.  We have the same problem, and have four or five of these pictures, but we don't post them, as its really against the law to do so.  But shoplifters are so angrilfying for all of us.

I saw this fun plaid 'kilt' Christmas sock, which made me smile.

and a taxidermied bobcat, just like the one my brother Emory had, such fun memories.

On Tuesday we took it pretty easy.  I put together this collage of dinner settings through out the year. This coming year, one of my resolutions is to throw a dinner party each month, and set the table with a theme.  I am going to try to use most of my dishes at least once.

I ran off to help a friend value some collectible dolls that she had inherited, but Dad was able to go to Devin Bigler's funeral in Santaquin. 

I worked on Wednesday, and had Pat come in for the last two hours so that we could meet with Ann and two couples of her acquaintance, with whom we have season tickets to the Hale Center Theater, to go to dinner before hand.  We ate at Joe Bandito in Sringville.

The play was called Over the River and Through the Woods, and when we got there Dad noticed the Shurtz, senior missionaries in the office in Finland with whom we overlapped for 2 weeks on both ends of their mission.  That was a fun surprise.

I ran to DI on my way to work on Thursday, and gathered all this goodness.  The blue transferware plate in the bottom left corner is perfect, and is also from the 1880's, it has the triangular date stamp they used then.

I had loaded in my snowman collection last week, and this day I added a couple of shelves of Valentines merchandise.  

That night Dad booked the rooms for our July trip with our kids and grands to Oregon.  It looks like there will be lots of opportunities for hiking, which many of our kids will enjoy, I am sure.  I hope, of course, to check out local antique stores, which is one of the 8 or so attractions listed for the area. 

Friday was Trevor's birthday, so Dad posted his birthday collage on line. 

I also wanted to share this picture of his family as they attended Hamilton together earlier this week.


Then Ann and I headed up Payson canyon in hopes of finding navigable snow.  The temps were so low this week, that it rained a couple of times and the snow in the valley was mostly gone.  Even here, on this trail that we often hike in the summer, the snow was crusty, but the snowshoes we are wearing have spiked cleats, and that kept us from slipping for the most part.  We managed to hike a mile, which I think is my longest snow shoe hike to date. 

The funny thing is that Ann and I showed up in the exact same socks, though we have both owned these socks for several years, and neither recalls where we got them.  We laughed about that.

We always like to get sushi with Trevor for his birthday, and we enjoyed that.

Trevor's always a good sport when it comes to posing for funny pictures, but the sushi was great, and pictures of food can be boring, right?

Then that night we got together with the Crumps for our monthly dinner date.  We always love talking missions with them, as they too are between missions at the moment also.

I loved this picture of Robin and Jeff's camper at Anderson Arch as they got back into Utah after spending a couple of weeks in southern US deserts. (I only know the name of this arch because Davin told me about it, its the one that people often take pictures of the moon through, making it look like an eye.)

So since I think it looks cool I googled it so I could share with you.

and here is Charlie in yet another seemingly impossible pose  from her Insta page.  


On Saturday I finished up my current Agatha Christie novel, while Dad went grocery shopping and ran errands.  Then we spent the afternoon taking down our Christmas decor, which is always a good time, NOT! But at least we now know what Christmas decor we're keeping, which gives us a leg up on organizing the storage room which is mostly holiday decor, that is one of our goals this year. Dad says that you kids will thank us someday for editing out old decor we will never use again.  It also makes great fodder for our upcoming (May) charity garage sale.
After church today we headed north to Highland to see Titan ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood, to the office of a deacon.  We're so very proud of him.  Of course he also got his temple recommend for doing baptisms for the dead, and is so excited about that.

I also loved that his new quorum adviser, as shown in the upper right hand corner, is showing him the 'map', as he will have passed the sacrament for his first time today.  As you see, everyone wore masks, which is a good thing for us, as we are masking in preparation for an upcoming trip where we're required to have negative covid results.  In our own ward, few wear masks, and we have not been wearing them there, sort of 'voting' with the majority when we attend other wards too.
Then we attended another ward in Draper, as they welcomed home Sister Anna Petersen, one of our last missionaries to come home, since we ourselves have now been home more than 11 months.  With the new mask mandate put out by Salt Lake County, we knew that everyone would be wearing masks there again.

Here we have Spencer Woolley, (the best chocolate chip cookie maker in the mission), Me, Dad, Anna, Savannah Smith, Kortenee Saunders, and McKenna Terry.  When this particular group of missionaries came, I remember that we then had a missionary in the mission with the same first name or middle name as every one of our grand children. I also remember, in the name game, that when I saw that we had a Spencer Woolley coming, I hoped he would end up with one of our two Elders Kimbal, so we'd have Elder Spencer Woolley & Kimball, but it never happened, though the president did once use the combo as a place holder on the transferboard.  I was so excited!! Just in case you didn't know President Kimball's name was Spencer Woolley Kimball, some of our missionaries did not know that.

and last of all, after getting home and eating our delicious veggie version of Rueben sandwiches, we headed up stairs and watched the Helsinki 3rd ward meeting.  A sister in that ward had posted a link, and we just loved seeing it.  Elder Sheffield, who we welcome to the mission, spoke and gave a great talk, then the high councilman, Esko Felin, spoke.  Esko, as you may recall, served his mission in California with our Ben.  He is also the triplet of Asko Felin who we used to go and play Zilch with all the time on our first mission.  Such happy memories, but that made a total of three sacrament meetings for us today.  What a joy filled day.












 

No comments:

Post a Comment