Sunday, October 10, 2021

The Spooky Week

What a wonderful and spooky week.  We celebrated three family birthdays, Nell's on the 5th,

Brady's on the 7th and

Hannah's on the 10th.  These three pictures are the ones that Dad used in his birthday greetings for each of them.

At home with us the week started outside, getting the yard ready for Halloween.  I noticed the leaves had started to turn on the house, and took this picture.

This much more colorful leaf picture, unbelievably, was taken the next day.  I couldn't believe how fast the leaves turned.

Now back to Monday, when I went out to pick the pumpkins for the display by the fountain, it was almost impossible to get to them due to the giant and over grown, and nearly dead sunflowers.  Dad saved the day by cutting them all down, and nearly filled one of our rolly bins with them.

Here they all are, along with a few fake pumpkins, and some ghostly friends.

Of course the grave yard was a must.


and our witchly mannequin invites you to come and sit for a spell. (I made this chair at the same time I made the one my friend Shirley has on her porch)

Dad also went out and bought an inside antenna.  The shows we had watched with the Kews the week before were on local networks, so we decided we should opt in.  First off we watched an episode of the Munsters, which seemed appropriate for our spooky week. 


It was a fun surprise when Terry Kew came over and brought us one of her lovely crusty loaves of bread she's been making. 

That evening we went to the Hale Center Theater in Salt Lake to see an Agatha Christie mystery, I've always wanted to see, The Mousetrap.  Even the Jester looks spooky being lit from below.


a spooky stage setting

Of course Dad ran into someone he used to work with, Jared Jorgensen who worked with him around the time Trevor did, and who was friends with Trevor.

On Tuesday Ann and I headed to the lower Spanish River trail again.  Its so pretty, though the colors here aren't as vibrant as those we experienced last week up Hobble Creek.

It still pretty, and I love walking along a river, stream or even a creek.

We happened into friends of Ann's who took pictures for us.  Ann seems to know everyone, in the same way Dad does, since she has been in scouting forever.  

Hannah posted on line that she got to go to Thanksgiving Point to bury bulbs for the Tulip Festival next spring.  Just like Dad and I did last week at the temple.  I hope she got a free pass to see her handiwork blooming in the spring.

After I got back from walking with Ann, Dad and I headed to Salt Lake for him to work on Darby's house some more.  I had come along to pick up the antique washstand from my friend in Bountiful that I bought weeks ago at the Vintage Market.  I dropped off Dad, then spent a couple of hours at DI before picking up Laura and heading to Bountiful.  When we got there Vicki was talking to a lady in her driveway.  The lady's name is Ardis, which is quite unusual.  We had a rousing visit, and it was mentioned that she had stopped by to drop off a treat with Vicki. The lady lives above Bountiful High, and Vicki lives by the Bountiful pool.  Ardis had stopped by and bought something from Vicki that she'd had out on her driveway a few months back.  Learning that Vicki was a new widow, Ardis whose been a widow for five years, has been stopping by every few weeks to drop a treat and have a short visit.  Ardis left and we went back into the garage to get the washstand, and visit some more.  Then when I went to get the car, I saw that Ardis had also left her 'treat' on our car for Laura and me.  My eyes filled with tears when I saw her humble offering, and knew that she was spending her own widowhood actively sharing with others, bringing them joy.  What a great example.

Vicki showed a few fun projects she's been doing to keep busy, and that was fun.  Laura is always so kind, and I know that Vicki loved seeing her again. (Laura remembered that I had invited her along several years ago when I picked up another piece of furniture I had bought from Vicki, how funny is that?)

We went to lunch at Cafe Rio, and I just love this poster, a repro idea of old postcards from 80 years ago.  The fun thing is that Bountiful is not only my home town, its also the hometown of Laura's fiance.  Yes, Laura is engaged.  Its a super lovely story too.  She was friends with a couple she worked with in church, after her husband divorced her, after some serious gas lighting, I might add, and sent her home to live with her elderly parents in Oregon. 

She worked in a stake relief society presidency with the wife of the couple and they became very close.  This friend of her's passed away almost three years ago.  Steven, the resulting widower had moved on, but didn't really care to date or anything.  Finally his ministering elder, who happens to also be his stake president, challenged him to start dating.  He wasn't really interested, but called Laura and asked if she'd mind getting to know each other better by phone, so he could tell his ministering elder he was in a relationship.  Since then he's been down to see her a couple of different times, for several days, and the last time they got engaged.  I am so happy for them both, since I know she knows him well.  He sounds like a wonderful man, and he would have gone to school with Clark and Emory, as he is right between them in age.  His name is Steven Bray, which is funny because now her name will be Laura Bray, instead of Laura Gray.

After our lunch I took her home, and headed to get Dad so we could meet Joyce for dinner at our favorite cheapo sushi place.  I thought it was interesting that when she asked to take home a sliver of salmon the waitress told her she would have to pay for it at $6.50 a pound.  So Joyce added a few things for later, and I went and got sushi for my lunch the next day.  When they rang up they both came to exactly $4.07.  Crazy.
On Wednesday I was off to work, and thought it was fun that Kathy was also wearing orange and black.

and I thought I'd just throw in this picture that I liked of William's cousin's birthday party, that includes William's Dad and Grandfather.

On Thursday I headed to DI to pick up a few things.  The day before, another dealer was getting rid of a huge shelf, that I thought I might be able to cram into my new booth by rearranging a few things.  This caused that booth to go from 100% full to looking about 80% full.  Yep, needed more goodies.

The clerk, whose hands you see above, always gets fun manicures that match the holidays.  I thought this one was perfect for my spooky week.

That was also Dad's third and last day working at Darby's. This week he put the flooring in the kitchen and bathroom, put the first coat of paint in the small bedroom and put down self leveling cement in her laundry area (three bags full).

When I got home from work, we had Davin and Bri's kids.  I had put dinner in a crock pot so that we could eat immediately.  We then headed up to watch Becca and Brady's kids while they went out to dinner with friends for Brady's birthday.  I always love mixing and matching cousins, and the kids seemed to love it too.

The next morning we had fun using a Halloween table setting for our breakfast.

Nenna set the table, while Adi made the orange juice.

I shared with them my new, favorite, and high protein breakfast.  Its the Kodiak cakes mix, (14 g protein per serving) with flax seeds (3 grams) and blueberries added.  Both additions are high in antioxidants. Then I add one egg (yep not a true vegan anymore) for another 7 grams of protein.  Then I take 2 turmeric capsules for more antioxidants, and don't need to take naproxin anymore.  Yeah!!  Though I am sure loosing weight might have helped too.  Still on the days I miss the antioxidants, I can feel the difference. (In case you care, I use low calorie margarine, and sf syrup)  

Anyway, the kids didn't mind all that healthiness, and we had a good start to our day.

In searching for a kid friendly fall activity I found a nature scavenger hunt on line, and with some additions the kids suggested I typed it up and printed them off.

It wasn't hard to find four colors of leaves, or fallen twigs and bark.

They found heart shaped rocks, pine cones, and acorns.  Finding a spider web turned out to be the hardest.




But they all checked off everything on their lists except mushrooms, which we never saw, and we had to go back to the house to pick up bird feathers, not surprisingly.


Their were ice cream cones for rewards.


at home again we played zilch, which they all liked, in fact they requested it again the next day.

I think they liked the decor, but Eli was most interested in this guy.

We watched Galaxy Quest that evening, because we knew the kids had been to Goblin Valley before, and part of it was filmed there.

The next morning there was more spooky for me, as I went to a quilt breakfast with LaVern as part of the Payson Quilt Guild's Quilt show.  The house was amazing with somewhere around 30 quilts displayed.  The hostess was very creative in where she displayed them.  On beds of course, and permanent displays on walls.  She also brought in display racks which she set up around her spacious home.  Her most clever displays were those she clipped over the shower curtains in the bathrooms. 

My friend Margaret is in the guild, and LaVern is always a good sport.

This one was hung around a corner, how clever is that?

I thought this was a beauty.


and I always love a log cabin quilt, though this one is a variation, called an Idaho Square Dance, just for Britt.

After our quilt breakfast, we headed over to Peteetneet where we attended  the guilds' combined garage sale that they hold as a fund raiser.  LaVern and I bought very different things, but both of us had our total sale come up to exactly $20.10.  How crazy is that?

Back at home I cobbled together witchish outfits for the girls so we could go to the Witch Festival at the Gardner Village.  Aren't they lovely?


Dad even got in the spirit by putting on his orange running shoes.

We loved this witch in front of the candy store, and got to go inside and choose treats.

The guys decided to wear witch hats for this picture.  Across from the witch on the Jack o Lantern, was a book store, and we found a fun book about a spooky experience in Utah that we took home and read together.  (Yes Goblin Valley was included, as well as the kid in the book had a picture of Brigham Young just outside his room ... the girls laughed because they are sleeping in the Brigham Young guest room!!) 

I loved these stacks and stacks of pumpkins too.

and what's not to love about a witch weather vane, where can I get one of those? (Do you think its Elfaba?)

Well, that was full circle and we're back at the crescent moon.

Other family members were having fun (or not) at the BYU-Boise game at BYU.  Yes, its true that wasn't just a spooky game, it was down right scary.  But I think as a family we can still claim the win, after all Brittany graduated from in Boise St.  Hmmm.  Sorry Trevor, we did feel your pain.

after the witch event we took the goblins to McDonalds, who were only serving at the take out window.  Really?  One little witch was incensed. 

OK maybe not ... isn't she a little gymnast?

So we had to make do with saddle seats at Arctic Circle, whose dining room was not only opened, even their play place was. and Square Pumpkins!!

We got home and read the Utah Halloween book, ate burritos and Spanish rice for dinner, then at Adi's request we watched the new Yours, Mine and Ours, which we all found tremendously hilarious.  Now we need to find the old one with Lucille Ball for their watching pleasure next time.


This morning I saw this kitchen in a real estate add and thought it was Becca's.  Funny, eh?  Hers is just as beautiful, but boy do I love these stool.

So we attended church today, then came home to work on the blog.  Dad's over there watching parts of the Utah game, the out come of which he preferred.  

So that does it for our spooky week. Hope you are having some spooky fun yourselves.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment