Sunday, October 3, 2021

Eating with friends and family 7 times in 7 days, and CONFERENCE!


We're starting this week with another picture from Charlie's Insta feed.  Brittany had a professional photographer take some pictures and I think this is one of my favorites, because I love fairy tale take offs, and this is a take off of the Disney live action Maleficent. 

My inner artist started the week by reframing my Minerva Teichert print of Pioneers that was hanging in the dining room, to make it fit into my mini Teichert gallary in the corner of the parlor.  Note the polka dots in the top of the cupboard.

Then Dad started hauling out the holly, er I mean the witches ... to start decorating for Halloween, since we had some former missionary friends coming to dinner the next day.  You may also note that the top quilt finally made its appearance.  In the picture above I still had the pillow wrapped in a duvet cover to fill the cabinet, but I paid off my layaway red and white quilt and was able to finish the display.

Here's more decorating fun.  Out of some 15 bins, boxes and bags, I put out about 5, took another couple to the antique mall ... and left the other half for further deliberation.

That night we enjoyed dinner with the Hoopers and Lindseys from our ward. It was fun learning more about both families, and Shelby Hooper let us listen to a tape he had of a Mapleton fourth of July celebration from  1989 that his mother spoke in, but also in which Scott's Great Uncle Welby spoke.  That was a lot of fun.  Brother Lindsey is our stake patriarch and had some great stories.  He is also, if you may recall, our friend Scott Lindsey's uncle.


On Tuesday I hiked with Ann along the lower Spanish Fork River trail.  It was beautiful, and will likely be a hiking route for the winter, because its much lower in altitude. 

Then I joined Dad to help plant bulbs and pansies at the temple.




I picked up some salmon on the way home to get our salmon soup started (well, the fish stock) before meeting a sister I minister to for lunch in Spanish.

We had four missionaries come from our first mission, along with the boyfriend of one of the sisters.
Laurie Kehr, her boyfriend Ben, Tyler Crump, (His wife came to my yard sale a couple of weeks ago, and is also one of our missionaries, but was visiting her mom in Washington) Cameron and Anna nee' Wilson, Brown.


Of course Dad talked them into a tour....

Ben liked the library ladder and was checking out the books.

On Wednsday Dad was off to work at Darby's and I was off to work.  One woman was buying several shabby chic type items, but decided to put this 1800's counterpane back, because of this darn.  It was linen with wide panels of inserted crocheting.  I showed the darn to Kathy, who I was working with, and she was amazed as well.  I had decided to buy it myself, after the lady left, but when she saw our amazement, and respect for the piece she decided to buy it after all, so I asked permission to take the picture.  I can't imagine such beautiful mending.
I worked again on Thursday, and Dad went to Darby's again. 
After work on Thursday I ran to my book club.  This is how many ladies where there to begin.  We talked about Under a Wing, a memoir by one of  Charles Lindburgh's daughters, where she tells about life growing up with her famous parents.  I was excited to talk about it, and they let me talk for the first 20 minutes, before I had to run off.  Ann later told me that at least two other ladies came after I left.  I know that Lillian and Carolyn were both under quarantine for suspected covid and were not able to come. Crazy world.

I met Dad at Kews where we had a lovely vegan dinner.  Everything was delicious.  

Then we stayed to watch a favorite serious of theirs, called Midsummer Murders, a BBC production that plays on PBS. That was super fun.  I love British Murder Mysteries, my guilty pleasure.



Terry had hung their business card size art, which is all charming.  This little gallery also displays a portrait of them done by their 9 year old granddaughter.  I thought it was charming as well.

On Friday morning I went out to see the beautiful hand work the Lord prepared for us when He created this beautiful earth.

Ann and I hiked up the Wardsworth trail in Hobble Creek Canyon.  I just knew it was going to be beautiful in the fall.


Someone had built a shelter since we were last there, about three weeks ago.

We hiked as far as the picnic table, about two and a half miles in.

I thought this maple that had turned white was very interesting.

Other maples were pink, orange and dark, dark red.

We had seen horses hooves prints on the trail and knew the cows had been driven down to be taken to their winter feeding grounds.  It was fun to see them hanging around on the roadway, waiting their turn to be trucked off.



It was dark on our way up the canyon, and for the first half hour of our hike ... we were stunned by all the color driving down.

Then I met up with Laurie and Patty for lunch at the Olive Garden.  I met them first as customers years and years ago.  Both California girls, who moved here and worked as nurses together.  It turned out that Patty lived in the same ward with my book club friends, and I convinced her to join us for several years.  During that time Laurie moved into the antique mall where she sold for many years.  She just moved out as she's too busy to keep it up.  That means I don't see much of either of them, so I was delighted to be invited to lunch.

That evening we had a dinner and games date with Heuers and Moes, and met them at Panda Express in Saratoga Springs.  We thought it was a lot fun, when our mutual friend, Jerry Mason (left) stopped in for his take out order.  He was home watching the BYU game and invited us to join them.

But we stuck with the original plan and played hand and foot at the Heuer's.


Trevor had also invited us to watch the game at his house, with Spencer and Brittney.  It looks like they had fun!!!

On Saturday Dad headed back to Darby's and here is the documentation of his work this week.
Britt had flown to  NYC for a girl friends' weekend.  In the upper right she stands at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in front of a Monet, her favorite artist.

I finished up framing my tiny work of art, that morning.  I had been motivated by seeing the Kews' works framed and hung. 

This is her home for the foreseeable future.
Then I headed to work for a shift I had traded to get time off for our trip to Texas later. I moved my Halloween display from my first booth,

and replaced it with Christmas items.  

After work I met Dad at Kews where we watched the Saturday night session of conference.  We got Mexican take out afterwards, then watched yet another BBC murder mystery called Vera.  We always enjoy our time with them.

This morning it was more conference, and it was amazing too.  I loved that my favorite apostle, Elder Eyring  was wearing a polkadot tie.  It got even better when the thing I was praying to have answered at conference was answered by President Nelson. Between hearing two former Finnish missionaries, and a Finnish Apostle, who talked about experiences in Finland that we had shared, and my favorite Area presidency member, from our second mission, Elder Kopischke speaking,  I found myself with tears streaming several times.  I hope that most of you had the opportunity to be fed as well.


It was fun too, when Emily called between session, then texted when Elder Cook talked about the Liberty jail experience, because we are going there with them during our visit to Texas.


After dinner, Dad and I went for a drive up Hobble Creek Canyon so he could see the stunning colors, they did not disappoint. Since I already had so many pictures of the canyon, I forbore. 

I loved this quote that Aunt Shirley posted.

Whatever you did this beautiful fall weekend, I hope you enjoyed it and made lots of fun memories.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment