Sunday, August 29, 2021

Tons of Fun, Sun, Runs and Puns



I haven'y heretofore included Dad's Birthday pics, but he keeps sending them to me to use, so I guess it will be nice to have a record of them in the blog.  Of course we also celebrated Ben's birthday along with Becca's as well as celebrating his life.  We love our three kids born in three days, birthday wise, and have many fond memories of their shared celebrations.  So happy birthday week to Davin,  on the 26th, and to Ben and Becca on the 28th. 


We started our fun with friends week with the Crumps having lunch at Mi Rancherito in Payson.  We had to change it a couple of times due to conflicts, but we always enjoy our reunions with them.





Tuesday morning found Ann and I hiking up to the cross on the mountain on the south side as you enter Spanish Fork canyon.  We were very pleased with ourselves for making it.

That night Dad and I got to watch as Marysa Ottoson read her mission call.  She is headed-to Peru.  We bought her at a camp auction 7 years ago to do yard work, and have followed her sweet spirit and goodness ever since.

We had more school starters this week too.

Look how tall Madi is amongst her class mates.

This guy is also working on getting taller.

Welcome back to school Charlie.

On Wednesday, Dad headed off to work at Darby's while I worked at the store.  I gathered all my milk glass from my several booths ... who knew I had that much,

and put together a display.  The blocks spell out Milk Glass, and I thought the cow would be perfect to over-look all the milk (glass).

I added more scary goodness to my Halloween display after selling 3 large pieces that morning. Dad meanwhile, did his temple shift and a few chores around the house.

after work, we divided and conquered. 

I spent the evening at my book club meeting.

Meet Lillian, one of my friends from book club, who will be moving into our basement apartment soon.


After book club I went over to KD's house and got some squash.  She's evidently a great gardener.

Dad had to go to the wedding of Elder Ammon Gatrell without me, and as you see he found plenty of company there.  He said there were another half dozen missionaries who came after the picture was taken.

Then on Friday morning we got KD to come along with us on a hike up Payson Canyon to the Forebay Reservoir,

 just as the sun was coming up.

When I got home it was prime time to check out my morning glory.  Some is over powering my tomatoes, and shading them, so I'm afraid I'll have to pull part of it down.  It makes me so sad.

I met this gal in line at DI later that morning, after Dad had headed off to work at Darby's again.  

I was so tickled to see that she was buying the dishes I owned in our early marriage.  It was also fun to note that her mom is exactly my age.  What a lucky mom.

After that I spent another day at work.  Three in a row, and I was really feeling my age by the end of it.

Dad finished up the last of Darby's windows that day.



Bright and early Saturday morning Dad walked up the to the park and was bussed up Payson Canyon for his first half marathon in five years.  He's hasn't run one since getting his second blood clot while training for one then.  He's been taking aspirin on the advice of Dr. Money ever since, and thought he'd try it.  It was his 5th in all.  He started off at 6:30 A.yawn M. 



Davin and Bri went to cheer him on, so we actually got a short movie that I wanted to post here, but alas twas not to be.

Thanks you two!!

He rings the bell for his fastest half marathon in 5 years...
Way to go honey.  

Unfortunately he was pretty broken when he got home, and we had intended to go to one viewing and another funeral, as it turned out we were only able to attend the one funeral, for Brother Cleve Waite, who is the father of our two plumbers, as well as Crystal Kwiatkowski who lived in the ward when we moved in and worked in Young Women's with me.  

Dad was also too broken to go  to the Vintage Market Days Sale in Heber with me, he definitely needed a nap.

With his training runs included he had run 27 miles altogether this week.  He deserved a nap.

So I drafted Terry Kew to go with me, and we got there in time to spend an hour shopping.  I just loved this funny little half horse.  He is very old, and is probably from Texas.  I was sorely tempted to take him home ....


I ran into Kimi, so that was fun, as always.

Afterward Terry and I went to an interesting concept restaurant for a late lunch. Its called the Global Grill and was decorated with enlargements of stamps from all over the word.  Terry got a giant burrito and I got veggie Marsala.  She said hers was very good, mine was typical premade  commercial sauce, and since I'd skipped the chicken and had gotten 'extra veggies', I was pretty disappointed that 
 it had only onions and zucchini, without a price break.  Alas, I love the concept.


I got home in time for Dad and me to do the shopping to make salmon soup for a sort of Finnish senior missionary reunion that night. This is Elder Bridge and Elder Smith.
Elder London and Elder Shurtz.

The menu was very Finnish, Salmon soup, Pirakkas, sour dough rye bread and a veggie tray.

Dad, Smiths and Londons and Sister Bridge.

Bridges and Shurtzes

I even managed to get in a picture.

We had a lovely evening and realized that between the five couples we had served 27 missions to Finland.  The Bridges expect to replace the current office couple come January. 

Today we went to church, as always.  Afterwards I have to admit I took a nap.  Then we took some piirakkas and the rest of the soup to the Jamsas, who had stayed home because Ralph had been sick, and worrying it was covid had gone in for a test, which had not come back in time.  As it turned out it was just a cold, so we got to have a nice visit after-all, as they just live over in Salem, but they missed seeing the rest of us, including the Bridges who had served their younger mission at the same time as the Jamsas.  Both couples having met on their missions in the early 1980's.

We finished off our day with our last concert in the part for this year.  Next week we will be driving back from Bear Lake.

Its hard to see our official summer season closing this week with Labor day almost upon us.  We hope you all got enough sun and fun to keep you over another winter.  Much Love.

















 

No comments:

Post a Comment