Friday, March 1, 2019

Home Again, Home Again Jiggity Jig

Goodbye Italy.  Yep on Monday we flew home, and said goodbye to wonderful incidental art everywhere.  It was a great trip and Dad and I are thankful that the Moes included us in their plans!  We got to Becca's after 10 PM and hit the sack ... for once I think I fell asleep before my head hit the pillow,  a skill Dad has that I've always envied.

On Tuesday we got Titan and Reagan off to school before I headed out to do errands, like depositing my work check, and picking up things from the house we'd need for the next couple of days.  I stopped to see Ashley and her new cat too. (Also got to say hi-bye to Zach and Ian)

She told me about this super friendly new cat they found. She is a lego killer ... they hear her all night attacking displaced legos, skittering them across the hard wood floor. Ashley says they try hard not to have any 'misplaced legos', but the cat manages to find one or two a night.  Some times the cat brings Ashley a captured, dead lego as a gift.  I guess that beats getting birds and mice. ... yucko.

Actually when I went to take this picture Dad was asleep too ...

Bed time Tuesday night ...

Just one more book?  Grandma? We also played Go Fish.

I headed to work on Wednesday while Dad held down the fort, as Becca and Brady finished up a Real Estate Conference in Louisiana.  His Mom had watch them for the beginning of the conference. 

 The kids had asked to play zilch the night before, so I brought home dice from work so we could play Wednesday night.  After the kids went to bed, Becca and Brady got home ... it was fun to share their conference experience, and our trip for a while.
I worked again Thursday, and Dad was back at the temple.  I made some stir fry and whole wheat noodles as we got back to our new, almost vegan eating plan.  (still finishing off milk, butter, and cheese) That felt good.

On Friday we both went to Salt Lake so Dad could work on the condo some more.  He got these can lights in place. 

 I spent the time doing some junking.  I loved these turned wood candle stick pillars I found at Haight-Ashbury there in Sugar House ....
I was also tempted by this mushroom, but I am just too cheap.


The bonus was getting to see this cutie at the end of the day.

 Of course we also love seeing these two as well. Oops 3, sorry Bear.
I was pretty excited to find this drop lead table at DI on Friday and put it in place on Saturday, after Dad took off for another day working at the condo, this time putting down subfloor.

That night it was vegan chili, notice the broccoli.  With our plan from the How Not To Die Book, we have to have a cruciferous veggie every day, and broccoli is the easiest to add.  So Chili with broccoli is becoming a staple around here.  Actually its surprisingly yummy. (We had soy protein faux bacon bits, which gives it a slight hamburger texture and a smoky flavor we love ... dang my mom would be proud!)

Barb who has Alzhiemer's in her family read the book, and has decided to do the plan.  In her weekly family letter she apologized to her children for not feeding them in a more healthy manner as they were growing up.  She encouraged them to eat more healthily, so I thought I might mention that and do the same.  Though, I feel like I really tried to feed you all a healthy diet, that was pretty low in meat, and high in veggies, with lots of whole grains, so I don't feel too guilty, I feel like we were moving in the right direction.  I do hope you will all read the book, though, so Maybe I'll do a Grandpa Milt and buy one for everyone.  BTW, Brittany introduced me to the book, for which I will always be grateful.

That night we met up with Barb and Randy, their daughter-in-law Tia, and a couple of
their friends from their neighborhood, for dinner at a Greek Restaurant, and then the play, An American in Paris.  It was a lovely evening and we really enjoyed their new friends.  The Prestons, Steven and Sonja, have season tickets with us in SLC this year, so we'll have a chance to get to know them better, as long as we don't trade too often. Of course Jeff and Robin and Tami and Robert were much missed on this outing.

 On Sunday we went to Elder Haws' homecoming.  He is in the pink tie in front.  He talked about a sister they taught who was amazing.  He said while things were going very well, they had taught her around three lessons, and she was already halfway through the Book of Mormon.  Of course that's a big problem for the missionaries, is that people usually don't want to be bothered with reading any material.  This lady was right on it, and Elder Haws said the spirit was always so strong.  Then came the time to teach her about tithing, which is often difficult for investigators to accept.  But when they softly approached the subject, she said, "I already read about it in the Doctrine and Covenants, and I know its a true principle." 

 That made me think about the power of the Book of Mormon and other scriptures.  Its sort of like, though Britt had told me about this book, How Not to Die, and though I'd listened to some of it, I really wasn't converted to the principles it espouses, until I was willing to take the time to actually read it. Because I did tha,  my life will forever be better.

Just a reminder to come to celebrate  Dr Suess' birthday with us.  The Kews are coming, and we all have fun when they do, so text me and let me know if you plan to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment