Sunday, February 25, 2024

Mixing Up Our Lives with Books.


A good quote to live by ... and reading them is fun too!

On Monday I asked Dad to cut some Masonite to back these two pictures.

But he did me one better and used my favorite old beadboard (from the Texas flea I like) to make frames for them. 

Here they are in the grouping I got them for in my bedroom. 

He also found this picture of a kitchen online that he knew I would love, maybe he's thinking of surprising me with it too. I could go for that.

Well, this is what happens in my real kitchen.  I found this over colored rocking horse at the Grove last weekend, when I ran in to get my paycheck.  It was half off, and I paid only $100, I've been look for one I liked and could afford, for at least 10 years, if not more.  Yeah!

and while Dad was surprising me by framing my prints, I was busy stripping my horse, and here is his newfound home. 

On Tuesday I did some junking, and in the midst of it got a call from Dad saying he'd locked himself out of the car in Provo. He'd gone to the bank that the chorus is using to find out who the signers were on the account and had left his keys on the seat.  I ran to the rescue, and he rewarded me with lunch before I headed back north to pick up some teapots, I had purchased on Facebook Marketplace.


That evening we went in and visited with the Stake President, President Zepeda and were released from our Pioneer Trek Service mission.  It's hard to believe it's been 2 years. 

On Wednesday I headed off to work.  Here are some books I put into my book booth there. Dad stayed home and worked on taxes.

On Thursday Dad went to the temple, while I was at work, then attended Payson's community meeting on changes they are making to Payson Main Street. He said it doesn't look like there will be any changes for our property. 

On Friday I went north, first to DI and then to work at the Grove. At DI this man, who was volunteering offered to carry out my rug to save me time.  He was super nice and we had a great conversation. 

Dad, meanwhile, was working on Ashley's basement bathroom patching the sheetrock. 

Then he picked me up and we headed to Heuers to meet up with Moes too and have dinner. Then we watched a couple of the Halmark Jane Austen adaptations that they have been touting this month for Loveuary.  This one was called 'Paging Mr. Darcy', about how an English Professor who specializes in Jane Austen finds true love. 

The other one was called An American in Austen, which had a lot in common with the Movie, Lost in Austen.  Everyone preferred this one. I like them both. 

Here's our hostess and host. 

Barb and Randy and my eye. 
On Saturday Dad went off early, then I did some leisurely tidying up and house cleaning. I created this vignette, but not sure I love it. 

I was headed to the mall to fill in a hole where a tall dresser had sold on Friday. I had planned to put the tea cart, you see here, in the place of the dresser space which was to the left of it's current position.  But stopping at DI I found this adorable old bookcase which I knew would be perfect for the spot.  So, I hauled an antique white trunk out to the yard to make the new place for the tea cart.  The tea cart had been in my book booth, but because I'd found one of those revolving table bookcases, that would allow for a lot more books, I needed a new home for the tea cart.  The 'Accoutrements for Tea' booth just seemed like the right place. Now all is well at the mall, and I got to play musical furniture pieces with four pieces.  I am very happy with how it all turned out. 

I also saw this embroidered Pride and Prejudice book.  The gal had to drill tiny holes for all the stitches.  It's pretty but seems like a lot of work.

And while I was tidying up, shopping, and working on displays at the antique mall, Dad was at a school in SLC where the chorus was putting on a work shop for high school kids.  Here they all are in the cafeteria having lunch.

It took 38 pizzas to fill up the 204 kids and 30 members of the chorus. 

Shoot the Moon performs for the kids. 

Here are the kids at work ...

And at the end of the day, they put on a performance.

Today Dad and I went to another ward for a home coming, and met this man, Thadius Moore, and talked him into a picture with Dad.  I love Kilts. 

Dad found a picture of his family online, and I remember meeting them at the Scottish festival last year. 

Trudy and Gorden Peck are the returned missionaries we went to hear.  The sister in the middle is a common friend, Nicole Eddie (Whom Brittney visit taught when they lived in our basement). The Pecks are the ones that did the sheet rock for our attic bedroom.  They served 2 years in Sierra Leone.  They were MLS missionaries and were over 8 branches and said one would have kept them busy.  I read a book about a young African chief's daughter who was 'given' to Queen Victoria by the chief who had killed her family, on a slaving raid.  At the time England had abolished slavery, but the US and some European countries were still buying slaves.  Anyway, the point is that the school the girl attended was in Sierra Leone, and it said that England had set up the country in Africa to house former English slaves.  I thought that was interesting, because Liberia, later, was established for the same reason by Americans after the civil war.  The Pecks said that Seirra Leone had the worst medical care of the country which are tracked, like 138.  

Well, that was our week. Dad finished up listening to James Michener's, Hawaii, he also finished up a romance novel, and The Death of a Traveling Man, about a Scottish copper name Hamish Mc Beth fairly recently.  In addition to reading At Her Magesty's Request that I mentioned earlier, I also listened to 3/4 of a book called The Wrong Mr. Darcy.  It was a Pride and Prejudice knock off with all modern black characters ... I so wanted to love it.  The Elizabeth Bennet character was a sports writer. Darcy and Charles were College Basket ball players.  The story was raunchy and the plot (of course) was predictable.  After turning down the volume repeatedly during sex scenes, and knowing where it was going to end anyway, I gave up... 

But of course, the book that most effects our lives, and the one that we try to read in daily, is the Book of Mormon.  Dad listens to it and reads along in Finnish.  I have the journaling edition, and try to make notes of my questions and thoughts.  Then we listen to Follow Him and make further notes in our books.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment