Monday, December 4, 2023

Family Helping Family

So, I will start this week's blog with a picture of our Christmas tree that we didn't get in last week's blog.

On Monday, Davin agreed to go and help Dad bring home this armoire that I found on Marketplace. It was hugely heavy, and Dave had brought along a strap with two harnesses, you can see them using the apparatus here, with the strap running under the piece and the weight being born by their shoulders.

After hauling it downstairs, they get it flat before reattaching the harness.

I'm not sure it could have happened without Davin and his so cool tool. 

Then into Dave's truck ...

and back to his work ... we soooo appreciate his willingness to help us out.

He came later with Elias to bring down the wardrobe, and happened to overlap with Ashley who was returning the van, after a weekend of moving Kim home from Salt Lake, so she can go to beauty school. 

Next Andy came to get Ashley. 

And will you look at that, a whole couch full of people I love.

And here is the wardrobe in place, ready to do its job of covering the power box and other unsightly items. 

On Tuesday Dad went to the Dentist, then we headed to the Grove to help my friend Marci move out of her space there.  Her husband's health has been pretty miserable, and she was very concerned about him doing heavy lifting.  We, well mostly Dad, hauled out the stuff and loaded her whole booth into our van and her car.  She took the stuff in her car home, and we dropped the rest off at the Treasures, where she will be tucking it all into the two booths that she has there. Marcy and I are almost family, as I have been friends with her for years, having known each other since I got into the business 30 years ago. 

I also got these printed off for our gifts for other missionaries at Mosida the next day.  I spent the rest of the day popping popcorn and putting together gourmet popcorn bottles to share. 

Here you can see the finished product. 

At Mosida we got busy on Wednesday putting up the Christmas decor, while listening to Christmas music ... When Rocking Around the Christmas Tree came on the Newmans took the opportunity to share their ballroom dancing skills, sooo fun. 

Here we see Dad putting up a zip tie to hold an extension cord to light the garland on the big wheel and lantern garland. 

Here are the girls wearing the decor ... Sister Newman and I sport tree skirts. 

Sister Smith and Elder Newman add decor to the Mezzanine. 

After the morning decorating the tree, etc, we decided that we needed a festive picture.  Dad jerry-rigged a tripod using the ladder, and the timer.  Good job Dad.

Then we played games, like charades, with Elder Marvin.

And two truths and a lie with Elder Lathrop.

and that's me playing charades as well.

Sister Gurr brought this beautiful Jello salad. 

And Sister Newman brought lovely, crusted bread.  Lunch was wonderful and then we exchanged gifts.  We got done just in time for me to get to work and finish up a half day.

Trevor came to help Dad hang the doors in the carriage house that evening.  Penny came along and came up to share a nice visit with me. 

I got out some clay I'd been using to make mushroom ornaments, and she made one too. I just love my crafting family!

This is Trevor's picture of Dad as they work together on the doors.

On Thursday, after the temple for Dad, and work for me, Dad went to get in line at the 100 dollar show at the Springville and was the second in line.  Here are other people in line behind us.

We were the only ones there from our family, so it's kind of sad to remember all the fun we've had when lots of the kids have come in the past.  We got just one painting, a landscape painting of the back of Timp.  Afterwards we went to Strap Tank Brewery for impossible burgers.  Yum.

Friday was Zac's birthday, it's hard to believe that he's 15.

We started the day with a temple session.  

We thought the nativity scene being placed in the fountain was interesting. 

And speaking of water, Eva had a swim meet. Which we were sorry to miss it, but Dad got a lot done on the carriage house, and I mostly finished up decorating the house for Christmas. 
The east doors got hung on Monday with Davin's help.
Are the doors looking good?  Trevor helped Dad get the west doors on their tracks on Wednesday. Dad also worked on making the bottom two stairs, unscrew from the rest with two screws, in the event we want to move in a car. He even went so far as to make all three stairs up to the landing the same height.
(yeah, he is a little obsessive)
On Saturday Dad went over to help clean the church, while I ran to SLC to the library sale there that started at 10.  I loved this poster on the building just to the east of the library.  I think it has a kind of Scandinavian look. 

After spending 50 bucks on books and DVDs for the shop, I headed up to the German Christmas market to pick up some of my favorite sour dough bread from Wandering Wheat who was vending at the market, only to find the traffic going to it so ridiculous, that I gave it up and went to ...

The Salt Lake City Art Market, which was next on my list, it was right next to the old Sandy Macey's on 13th.  Here are a few things I liked, starting with JoLyn Forman, from whom I bought the Petra Pan painting a few months ago. 

I think Trevor and Nell have at least one of this artist's works. I find it fascinating.

And this house portrait reminded me a lot of our house.  He said it would be 900 for one this size, even though this one was 600.  Maybe, or maybe not.  Kristin Tye, who did the poppy painting that I bought last summer, has said that she would do a custom piece for me.  So maybe.

I loved this one.  It is the book we read last summer in book club ... Lessons in Chemistry. 

On Saturday, the Summers had their family portrait with Santa.


Emily made my day by sending me this ad for Wicked, the movie.  Just one more year to wait. 

After church today I got started with setting my dining room table for my book club luncheon tomorrow, and then ...

We headed to Bountiful for a dinner hosted by Ross and Julie with all of my surviving siblings, except my sister Julie, who lives in West Virginia.  My Sister-in-law Julie showed me this cute picture a friend gifted her.  How fun is that? 


And speaking of fun, Julie decoupaged this chair.

Also fun, is this antique horse that belonged to her uncle. 

Here we are at dinner, Dianne, Nina's friend Kenny, and Nina.

Julie and Ross, mildly amused.

Dad, Doug, Shirley and Bruce.

How cute is my baby brother?


Joyce and me.

Nina, Jo and Clark.

This amazing Pioneer and Indian Wars Ribbon adorns a funerial wheat wreath, which was on the top of Wilford Woodruff's casket.  Julie is a direct line descendent, what a treasure. 

Isn't it stunning?


My oldest brother Clark and my youngest brother Ross talk Cop Shop!! (The Former SS agent and the former Chief of Police for UTA. (Each has had about 7 different jobs as policemen, we saw Ross' collection of badges.) They shared some badges, as they had both been volunteer policemen in Bountiful and Davis County.  The, of course Clark had a MP badge from his time in Vietnam, and a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint security badge, from his Service Mission.  Ross had his Attorney General's Investigator badge, and his COP badge from Utah. It was kind of mind boggling. 

Here's the siblings. Clark, Bruce, Doug, me. Joyce and Ross. 

The cute spouses taking pictures.

With Spouses, compliments of Kenny.

Ross with his King Charles Spaniels. 

Nina and Kenny

The presents for the white elephant game.

Doug opens the candy cane striped extension cord that I took home. 

Nina seemed to find all the goodies others wanted, but she did end up taking these home, after taking them back on her third time. 

Kenny had brought these fun light up toys for all the Larsen girls and boys.  Do you know we were the only non-Larsens there?


And look at Jo and Dianne twinning ...

Sharing memory stories. 

Doug joking about giving Ross a foot massage. 

So many funny stories. 

On the way home we watched a reunion gathering online... here is Former Finnish mission president and wife, Paula and Ilkka Aura. 

During a breakout session we participated with two other Office couples, the Londons

and the Shurtz who served right before our office couple mission, and then trained us.  Now they are back in Finland doing it again. They said things have become more regulated, especially with accepting packages, and it has become pretty much a nightmare for them.  But it was so fun to hear them chat and let us know what is happening in Finland now. 

So that sums it up.  We are so grateful for the help we received from several sources, as well as having a chance to help a few others. I know that the support we give each other makes it possible for everyone to accomplish much more.  Thanks to you all for the help and information you shared with us.







 

3 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you all who can be seen! My news is that after a very long time, I passed from prediabetes to diabetes --after three years of that, no meds, switched to a low carb diet, and off the scale of both diabetes, and prediabetes, to, catch this, an a1C of 5.5, which is FULLY NORMAL!!! It's the KETO DIET. Plus have lost about fifty pounds in the last three years. Not as skinny as Doug yet, but close. . . . While there's breath, there's hope, my docs are overjoyed with me, me too! XOX Julie (Li)

    ReplyDelete