Monday, June 19, 2023

Gathering and Traveling


Here is one of my favorite pictures of the week.  Bishop Harker from the Bennion West Stake with Elders Newman, Perkins and Crump.

This gal made a shirred lining for her mid 1800's hat ...

I thought her trimming was clever too.

A couple of days later I got this picture of her in the wool, hooded cape she had made herself. 



Sister Brimhall is our orientation gal, here she chats with Sister Crump, look at LaVern's cute patchwork apron and matching bonnet.

Sister Crump keeps busy.

and here's a cute picture of her husband Ron the next day, as he prepares to do the Edward Martin Vignette.

Here I am with the Newman's the first day at the Levi Savage vignette.

Here's Dad doing Ephraim Hanks the first night.

This group got rained and hailed on.  All got soaked, except the gal in the woolen cape.  The rainbow was a nice reminder.

Here Dad finished up the Jens and Elsie vignette with 'Jens', still in the cart.

Then its lunch time. It is when we discovered the using the men's first names, we have, Ron, Rod and Rob.

Dad and I headed out to the river crossing after lunch Wednesday, but the group took so long that I had to head to my Endodontist appointment before they got there.

Dad took a few pictures so I wouldn't feel left out.

Only related people carry this way.

Other's use the fireman carry.  Note the rain coats, it was raining like mad.

And last of all the priesthood walk.

Others we know were also hanging out by the water, but on the other side of the world in Japan.  Britt, her family and her in-laws families do a group shot.

Mike and the kids.

Dad shows off one of the pairs of pioneer pants he got this week for Father's Day, along with a pair of old timey suspenders. I see some serious hemming in my future.  The other pair were just right.

I worked on Thursday, and Dad went to the temple as usual. Then he came by and picked me up after work and we headed up to Roy to pick up a cupboard I'd bought on Face Book Market Place to use as a base for the antique cupboard top I bought from my friend Tiffany last week.  The bonus was that we got to stop and visit with Doug and Shirley in Kaysville for about an hour.  I see so little of my siblings, anymore, that its always a real treat when we do.  Of course, Doug is just older than me in my family, and I went to school with Shirley, even sharing a science class with her at one time in High School, which makes it even more fun. 

On Friday we drove to Salt Lake together, so he could work on Darby's house and then head to our Finnish Reunion without returning home to get me.  I, of course, spent my SLC time junking.  It was fun to see this silhouette picture we have in our bathroom at home, in an antique shop. It was done by a high school classmate of mine, Peter Cook.

At the reunion we caught up with the Lehtinen's and made arrangements for their stay with us this upcoming week.  This is a picture of them with Elder Cook after he set them apart as Mission Leaders. They are next to him on the left.  We can hardly wait. 

Here is Dad with another missionary who has the classic mission tie.

Three of these four girls in the middle were in on our missions.  The one closet to the director is Kartrina, who lived in our house during our second mission, we met her at the beginning of our first.

Dad's in the middle here.

We ran into Mitchell Baird.  I bought some antiques from his folks last fall, and met him then, it was fun to see him there.

Dad with his former companion Wayne Braunburger.

Including wives here.

Darwin Rasmussen. one of the 24 he served with and went to the LTM with.

And me with cute sister Saunders.  She was one of our Covid missionaries.  When her group came in, they were divided into 3 empty apartments for two weeks of quarantine.  It was fun to get to know them all better than we usually do, due to food and treat deliveries, etc, and then driving them to their mission assignments. 

This older sister in her ward is also a former Finnish Missionary, so they came together.  I just love that.

a Finnish Selfie. Sirpa Jarvis and Alyssa Plant

Us with another Finnish missionary couple, The Ames. We met them when they moved to Finland for four months and served in the temple.  They could do that because she's a Finn. 

Look how many missionaries there were from Dad's mission. There are a few wives who sat in, but the vast majority are from his group. 

Sadly when I went to get pictures with the Londons and the Smiths, some of our very favorite missionaries, they had gone. 

Home on Saturday morning, and we have our first Hollyhock.  We also had our first red tomato on the 15th. 


Dad and I worked painting the bathroom, mainly Dad, I took over for an hour when he got too pooped to go on....

Then he took over.  The white base was so shabby looking, and not in a chic way.
We also worked on various other house projects, in preparation for our guests.  I worked out in the garden a fair bit as well.


Now in other Pioneer news, we find Spencer and Brittney with the Okada family in Oregon.  That must be the end of the Oregon trail. 

Here are more pictures of Britt's kids in Japan, this time with a couple of their cousins on the Mitko side. 

and Miss Charley

Meanwhile Davin and his family are discovering the beauty of Glacier National Park.


What a beautiful place.

Today I had an assignment to sub in Primary so the fathers could have a day off.  So, I went to our ward and saw the primary program.  The kids are singing 'Scripture Power', using their Books of Mormon to raise for the actions.  The tiny child is a nursery child who wanted to come up with her sister, shown  on the right of her.  I thought it was the cutest thing ever.

Dad, meanwhile, got to go and see the Shurtz give their farewell addresses in Provo.  They are the couple who trained us to do the office work, and they are headed back for another stint as Office Couple, how fun is that?

We had a quiet afternoon, mostly reading (me) and snoozing (Dad). Then headed to Trevor and Nell's for a family dinner to honor Dad.  With so many of our kids out of town, we had a smaller group with just Darby, Trevor and Becca, and families.   I love Eva's cute new glasses. 

Trevor wears his father's day gift from Nell, its an actual T-shirt from his first concert, ever, as a teenager.  Yea, Vintage sellers.

Eva also gave him this cute shirt.

Trevor headed up the effort to pick out Dad's four pairs of running shoes.  Everyone went in together to get them. They are in the rainbow bag.  He instructs Dad as to the best uses for the shoes. 

Pat a Cake with a song.

and bonus tickles.  How cute is Penny in her new glasses.

Brady and Becca fresh from France with lots of fun stories of their adventures.

Trevor made snow cones for all ....

Maddie shows off her giraffe tongue.

And look how close Eleanor is to being as tall as Aunt Darby. 


Well, its one in the morning now, and I am ready to imitate Bennie.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment