Sunday, June 11, 2023

From the Walking Dead to the Tator Trots and Other Trekkers.



I'll start with some pictures taken by Elder Hardman who had been taking some great pictures. These are of the Marvins and the Smiths.
The Alpine stake had this large picture of Christ, at the far side of the 'river'.

Here we are at the beginning of our Monday trek, and I had to take a picture of the absolute worst packed cart I've ever seen.

This is the Alpine Stake out at Fort Laramee, the lunch stop on the first day.

I thought this was sort of a weird family flag.

That night Dad did the Ephraim Hanks vignette.  I was sitting behind him ready to do the Thisbee Reed, or Little Sister part.


The young people come along the ridge on Tueasday.

as they come into Fort Seminoe ...

 Sister Hardman provides lovely hymns to set the mood.

Somebody found a temporary pet.

And the Crumps found some Crump cousins at the end of presentation there.

Later at Rocky Ridge, we saw some cousins of the snake the boy had earlier found, these two were actively interacting. Neither Dad nor I can remember seeing a single snake last year, though we do recall hearing about one, that was seen by others. Maybe its something about the long wet winter.

Here we are on the last day.  Elder Hardman had called to say that the trek was ahead of schedule. This happened because the group had decided to divide into three smaller groups which meant we had to go over the procedure three times, and the first group had left for lunch and the river crossing, while we still had work to do.  Fortunately, Elder Hardman decided, to walk to the next stop with the first group, and then let us know what was going on, while he started on with our job in the large meadow, until we got there.  Now, Dad says, we know why we have not allowed them to split large groups at the women's pull in the past.  Live and learn. 

I actually thought this family flag hit the spot, Napolean Dynomite style.

This cutie made her whole outfit, how cute is that ... just when I thought no young people were learning to sew anymore.

I thought this gal was a perfect example of the dirty and exhausted kids we see at the end of trek. She reminded me a bit of our Charley.

Here are the boys pulling the carts through 'the river' before they take turns carrying the sisters across.

Most of the girls are carried across by a team of three, two using the fireman's carry, with a third as a spotter. This brother, however carried his sister across on his back, piggy back style.  I told her if he annoyed her later sometime, she should remember he had 'saved her life.'  They were so cute. 

What a great trek, and here we are with the Trail Bosses for the Trek, the Huntsmans.  They did an amazing job. 


After the trek, the Hardmans had a chance to do a little 'chamber music' with their friend Marvin Payne, who was with the Alpine stake.  That was fun.

The end of another trek, we love working with the other missionaries, and have learned to love the Smiths, especially.

How do you like the head band I made at the river crossing?


And speaking of learning to love the missionaries one works with, Dad borrowed this picture from President Kervinen's FB page.  He commented what a change that was from 2020 when it was just the Kervinens and us. 

and in other loving group photo categories, is a cute picture from Emily and Sam's newest family photo shoot.

and yet another .... as Charley participates in the final big event at her school of Dance with family support.

She's had an amazing year.

Thursday found me back at work, and Dad back at the temple, though he also took a shift for Elder Newman, so he could work out at Mosida that day. The Newmans typically work the shift before Dad's so that works out.  

We ended the day eating our lovely Indian food, made by Davin's Indian neighbor.  Always a yummy ending.

On Friday Dad was back at Mosida, while I had a busy day.  It started with me walking at Walmart with Carolyn, and shopping for a luncheon I was hosting later.  But before heading home, I ran to Santaquin and managed to spend some serious money on goodies at my fellow junquer Tiffany's sale.  I loved this cupboard top, which looks Scandinavian to me, but couldn't justify buying it, as it would mean finding a base, which my friend Tiffany was never able to do, and was thus selling it.  I took this picture, so I could show Dad, as we were both smitten by the Scandinavian antiques on our house tour last week in Spring City, but by the time I got back to Wallmart to buy frozen dessert for the luncheon, I had decided not to miss the chance, I knew I would regret it.  Thus, I messaged T and paid her before I got home.

where I got ready for a Ministering luncheon I had planned with Patricia Steadman, my partner.  I got to finally use the Bee dishes, that will always bee my memorial to Ben. Our Ben was always as sweet as honey, but also had a bit of a quirky sting, for which we loved him. 

Here we start with Patricia, my RS ministering partner. (We both also have routes with our husbands for the Elder Q ministering, because we had asked for an RS route.)  Tina is next, Dad and I visit her, then Monika, and Raelene, who we visit together, and last of all Kathy who Patricia visits.  Half of us were widows, and that subject came up some.  I think the ladies all had a good time.  The menu was my salmon soup, Patricia's wonderful healthy salad, some garlic bread, and ice cream novelties for dessert.

Of course I had to get a picture of Tina and I in our matchy outfits.

Of course there was a house tour for those who were interested.  Raelene DeWitt told me she had designed this Relief Society project back in 2003, which we did for the anniversary of Joseph Smith's birth.  I had remembered that each square tied into his story, but couldn't remember them all.  She remineded me so, I thought I'd put them here.  Started at the top right, is 'the grove, then a rail fence, then the tree of life, the next on the left again is the (straight and narrow) path, (to the tree of life) but the quilters' name for this one, the drunkard's path, came out in the 1920's during prohibition. On the other side of Joseph's portrait, is the broken dishes pattern, (Which represents the dishes broken to add sparkle to the plaster on the Kirtland temple) back to the right again is the log cabin pattern, with the red center which represents the hearth of the home ... where of course, in Joseph's case, the place the plates where hidden at one time.  The last square is a star pattern, to represent the stars on the Nauvoo temple. 

Then after they left, as I always do, I did the dishes, then spent some time looking around at my tidy house and enjoying the moment, something I often do.  I noticed this picture again.  I had bought it from DI about 2 years ago, but had never found any back story on it.  I always thought it looked familiar, and its in an original and very old frame.  Under a loop its obviously antique, because of the pixel patterns, they used to use, which were a straight grid, more modern ones are layed out in a stop sign type pattern.  I did a google photo search and found ...


That it was painted by Lewis A. Ramsey in 1923 for the centennial of Moroni's first visit to Joseph Smith. 

I thought that was cool to know.

When Dad got home we ran to Alpine to return a table that had been left behind on our first trek of the week.  We stopped and got my check at The Grove as well. 

When we got home I went over to Cristie Peterson's house to check out her items for her garage sale the next day, as  we were leaving early for Mosida, and I would miss it..  She also gave me a tour of her garden which is just so charming.  Cristie is super creative, and does things in such a fun way.  She reminds me a lot of a 'believing' Julie,  Of course Cristie wasn't always a believer, and didn't come back into activity until after her husband's death.  She is absolutely one of the most faithful people I know.  How cute are these stone flower shapes!

And her roses are in full bloom just like mine.  I am so loving this time of year.

Here son, Nick built this pergola for her, and it is so charming.  She pointed out many volunteer trees and bushes in her yard, and said they were gifts from the birds.  Since my Hollyhocks are gifts from the birds, I know just what she means.

On Saturday, I went out on the balcony to study my scriptures very early, it was so beautiful with the rug and cushions in place that I thought I'd take a picture or two.  Such a peaceful morning ...




Then we headed out to Mosida.  Sister Smith showed me a tiny plant she has found near the women's pull. The leaves are miniscule. I thought it would be great in a fairy garden ... maybe I'll do a little transplanting. 

 
Here Dad watches for the handcart pioneers to arrive for the Woman's Pull. The Hardmans check out the dessert flowers. 
Other missionaries waiting.

How cute is this trekker, as she heads to the gathering, before the Women's pull.  We tell the stories of Emily Hill, who wrote 'As women in Zion', and Emily Wall who pulled her sick brother in the handcart  for miles. 

At the end of the pull this cute girl came up and told us that she is a direct descendant of Emily Wall's.  I love it, such a great heritage for her.

And here we are with the Trek Bosses, Ron and Sheri Isrealsen.  We met them at their fireside and again at their hoedown.  He is Jane Shurtz first cousin, and the two families lived in Chicago for years, and were very close, more like siblings, Jane said.  So Jane told them and us to look for each other, so it was super fun to visit with them on and off during the Saturday part of their trek, though, of course Dad had spent time with them on Friday. 

We actually had to leave during the river crossing, because ...

Nadine Evans had invited us to meet her to see, not Hello Dolly, but Hans Christian Anderson in New York, at the Hale Center theater in Salt Lake.  Of course, as soon as we walked into the lobby we ran into an old friend of Dad's from the Grocery business, Al Leavitt. 



Here we are with Nadine at the end of the play.  She loved the 1952 musical Hans Christian Andersen, with Danny Kaye as a kid.  Neither Dad nor I had even heard of it. Lucky us. Thanks Nadine.

That night we got a couple of visitors too.  They were in town taking flowers to a widowed friend on the anniversary of her husband's passing.  We just love that their good works included us!  

Today we went to Church out in Genola to hear one of the other Missionary couples from Mosida as they spoke.  I thought the young man who was in charge reminded me of Perry Ewell, and since I knew there were several Ewells who lived in Genora, I figured he was a relative.  LaVern Ewell Crump said the opening prayer, and lead the music.  Then of course, the Gurrs spoke, then at the end this bishop's coucilor announced that "Uncle Ron" would say the closing prayer.  We're not sure he even realized that he said that, but it made us smile.  He is a nephew of the Crumps, but by a different one of LaVern's brothers
Here are those who came to support our own.  The Newmans, us, the Crumps, the Gurrs who spoke and the Brimhalls. 

After church I noticed how pretty these roses are.

I'll finish up with some pictures of the mini 'cousin camp' that Emily was running in Texas this week with her kids and Becca's as the Summer parents were vacationing in Euorpe.  Here they are in their 'cousin camp' t-shirts at the Library for an activity.

And an art project at home.  Emily's other mother came along on activities as a second driver.  The yellow shirts helped the two of them to keep track of the 9 children. 

They each had a traveling t-shirt, and a personal t-shirt with their favorite animal.  Here Bekie shows off hers. 

After church I picked one of the buds from this beautiful bush and put it on our table to enjoy as we ate dinner. 

 Last of all we finished our last Midsomer Murders episode.  I bought two seasons at DI a while back and we've been watching them when we can for about a month.  We went to buy some more on line, yesterday, to find that there were 23 seasons ... and bought two more seasons to watch.  Does anyone else out there like these?  It was the Kew's who introduced us to them sometime last year ... so we'll have fun eventually watching lots more.

But right now we are watching the 1952 Hans Christian Anderson with Danny Kay.  It's pretty charming, and it fun to see what inspired the cute musical we watched yesterday.  

We hope you have all had some fun this week, and we suspect its true, Britt is on her way to Japan, Becca's in Europe and her kids are in Texas, as well as Spencer being off on vacation in southern Utah. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment