Sunday, February 26, 2023

What the Dickens!?

Definitely a fun week, of quirks and oddities.  I ran across this picture of a man with puppies in his pocket walking a duck in shoes, when I was looking for a picture of a figurine of a man with puppies in his pocket.  But that's another story, and this one just made me laugh.
Monday was noteworthy because Dad passed 5,000 miles on his running app.  He started a regimen of running so he could get a discount on his health insurance in 2012, and never looked back. 

Monday found us still at Becca and Brady's house watching the kids.  Miss Reagan was stir crazy and went on a trip to DI with me, before some grocery shopping.  "Please sir, can I have more/"

We got the makings for pizza, as she was going to make a portrait pizza of Giselle from Enchanted, because we were having a movie party that night, and watch Disenchanted.  I laughed about the onion because in the book Oliver, the boys are allowed the following diet ... 1 bowl of thin gruel 3 times a day, 2 onions a week, and a half a roll on Sunday.  Emily should appreciate that.

And here's the princess with the princess portrait.

Cooking buried her nose and messed up her hair.

Madi's pizza turned out great ! The movie night was great too, Even Titan joined us in the fun.  We had root beer floats, popcorn, and of course, the pizza.

On Tuesday the kids were back to school after having a four day weekend, which made watching them so much easier.  Dad took Mac to his preschool in Orem, and picked him up before the big kids got home, he was pretty excited!

I stopped at the DI in Springville on my way home from babysitting and ran into Sherri Oldham, how fun is that?

Wednesday morning we woke up to snow blown up against our French doors. I guess there's a first time for every thing.  There was a lot of snow everywhere.  Because I don't listen to the news, I missed that it was being called things like Snowmageddon, and people were being told to stay home if possible.

But not me, I'd bought a green shelf on line the night before, and planned to head out and pick it up on the way to work.  This pic of the patio was taken the next day, or the roads would have been covered with snow on Wednesday morning. we got about a foot.

I got to the little shop/house the fairy house couple run. The drive was harrowing, but I got to work without incident.

I adored this professional costume that her mother wore as an actress.  Of course not for sale.  Because its their home, most of the goodies were not for sale.  

This shadow box contains the book they published a few years ago, and some of the fairy chairs she has made.

There were three of the very large fairy houses.

and this ice fairy reminded me a bit of my sister Julie's work.  Soooo fun.  

Dad got this picture from the current office couple in Finland on Wednesday ... Yep they have snow too, but they also have beautiful blue sky.  This picture is from the office window there.

No blue sky in Utah, but possibly more snow, as Dad plows into Darby's driveway for a day of bathroom floor tiling. 

At work I redid this cupboard to be entirely ironstone and other white stuff, along with wood pieces.

We were so dead at work that we only had four sales the whole day ... looks like others listen to the news.  I was killing time walking around the North Store and ran into these Dicken's Characters, which was perfect because I was in the process of finishing up a Dicken's Biography.

That night we went to the Hale Center Theater to see A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder.  It was a comic, musical set in the days of Dickens, with humor that was not unlike Dickens.  Very fun, and we met the Shumways and Andersons there.

Speaking of the cold ...

And how perfect is this Dicken's excerpt from A Christmas Carol about being cold.

Dad got going early on Thursday before heading to the temple and shoveled the walks along the street, as well as those on our property, since I was to have book club at our house that night.

At work, this man bought a 200 pound anchor.  Boy was that interesting to move.  I dinged my shin, and boy does that hurt.

Don'r know if you can tell, but it took four people to load it into the truck. Two of them were strangers, people are soooo nice.

Here's the gang as we get started.  I wish I could say that we had read a Dicken's book, but alas it was called The Star Giver, and was written by Jojo Moyes, though she is English.  We have, however read four of Dicken's novels over the last 25 years, and 5 of Jane Austen's 6 novels.

Ann is one of our founders, two of whom are still in the group.

Her sock's read .... 'Just one more chapter?', how perfect is that.



So much fun...

I had Dad drop me off at DI on the way to my new job at The Grove.  I'll be working one Friday a month, because Jenn's husband just got a new job, and can't do the Friday shift anymore.  I found this antique steamer trunk for $12 ... its full of goodies, including some great books, like a Hugh Nibley book (so hard to find) to make the total bill $80 ... whoa.

Dad went back to Darby's after dropping me off, and finished cutting up the tiles for the bathroom floor.  Darby got the designer tiles from a friend who didn't end up building his dream home after all.  She got a great deal. 

This is the cash register at the store, its a square, pretty cool.  Unfortunately I have not used one before ... this is what happens when you put in the numbers and forget to use the plus sign ... I was panicked because all I could see to do was to push the blue bar which I thought would put the sale through.  Nope.  I called Jenn and she said, 'just push the c button", oh duh, c stands for clear ...  Alas, but the end of the day I was a pro.

On Saturday we took my friend Aubrey and her family to lunch for her birthday.  So much fun. 

Then Dad worked on moving this set of shelves out of our soon to be spa room.  The area just had stuff stacked here before, good job honey.

I finished my bio of Dickens, and toward  the end there was a description of his desk and what was on it, including a figurine of a man with puppies in his pocket. 

 Some of the items I recall were the paper knife above ... its ivory, and he had his cats foot attached (Like a rabbits foot) to the end.  Evidently he really loved this cat.  Also a bronze statue of two frogs fencing, a Rabbit on a gold leafed leaf.  I did find a picture of the fencing frogs, and then because he is Dad's favorite author, I decided to move Dad's complete set of Dickens down to the parlor to put it in the green angel desk.  I thought he'd get a kick out some similar items from Dicken's desk to our desk.

you can see the puppy man on the far right in the etching.

the top left is Dicken's pear handled magnifying glass, the one below is also a pearl handled glass that I bought one line.  The two figurines with puppies were as close as I could get.  I also bought the bunny, though he is a candle stick holder, and will do the the gold leafing on the leaf myself.  I know, kind of crazy. Then since I was making free with google searches, I thought I'd look for ... 

A bobeche to to fit the broken cup on this sweet chandelier I found at Canton last fall, 


This was the best i could do, but I'll keep looking.


and I was surprised to find a similar chandelier, and another one for more than $2,000, pretty fun for a chandelier for which I paid $5. 

Today we went to the homecoming for Rebekah Olsen, from her mission to France.  She is Dad's second cousin once removed, who he found last year at Roots Tech, when she was on her mission.  His Dad's Cousin, who is her grandmother was O'linn Lohmoelder Olsen, whose mother Ruth Perkins, and a sister to Milt.

This is Meredith Ohran, another of O'linn's daughters.

Here is Rebekah, with her cousin on her Mom's side who was also in the same mission with her, how fun is that?


Rebecca, her Dad, Matt Olsen, O'linn's son, his sister Karen Rasmussen, behind her daughter, their Mom. O'linn and us. Dad had a blast meeting relatives, though he had seen O'linn only a few times while growing up.

We are now finishing up our week by watching what is considered to be one of Dicken's best novels, Our Mutual Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment