Sunday, November 13, 2022

Changing Seasons


Goodbye Talleys ... Monday morning we left Emily's home about 7:30 A.M. and headed home.

Emily later sent this picture to say that our stay had put her in the mood for Japanese food.  Us too.

On the way home Dad stopped at one antique store in a town called Quanah.  The shop was called Rustic Relics and had this wonderful old 8 foot tall English China Cabinet, even taller than mine.  I loved it and you just don't see these, other than in restaurants.  It was only $750, amazingly.  I keep thinking about that. 

We stayed in Albuquerque that night, in a hotel in such a seedy neighborhood, that they lock the parking lot.  Yikes, we skipped going to dinner that night, as we were nervous to leave.  The hotel did have a great breakfast though, and heck, who needed dinner after snacking in the car all day.

Back at work on Wednesday, and I redid this dresser top, using some of the stuff that had been in the Halloween display.  Then boxed up the other Halloween stuff for next year.  I also put out all the various items I had gotten from a gal before I left.  So much stock in the supply line at the moment.

That night Dad and I started watching the Castle Make-over episodes of the castle we had just seen.  I can't tell you how much we loved it.  Having a solid frame of reference for the castle, so enriched the experience.  It was also fun to see the man who had been on our tour in the first episode.  We went on to watch the other three by the end of the week.  So all Castle All The Time. 

I brought in the Christmas stuff I had gathered over the year on Thursday, not as much as I thought.  I loved the Christmas corsage in a sort of funky fifties style.  The gray dress was the perfect place to display it.

My Friend Mary came in and bought this cute little gumball machine as a Christmas scene that Kathy A, had made.  She and I also managed a trade with some of the Texas stuff I had brought in to sell.

I got home to see this cute harvest site.  Dad had taken down the jacks off the fence posts.  We enjoyed them so much this year.  He said the big one, which was over a ball instead of a spike, and is thicker, because of its size, was a real wrestling match to get off.

He also wanted me to include this picture of the snow on his car that fell when he was doing his Wednesday temple shift, he also worked at the temple on Thursday.

Emily sent this fun smily picture of Johnny.  It made us smile too.
Becca got to meet him in person on Thursday as she spends a few days helping Emily celebrate this wonderful addition to their family.
Thursday night we had a game and card making night.  Mostly people played yahtzee, like me,

Or brought their own handiwork.

or just visited.  It was nice and low key.


When I got home, Dad and I decided to watch this movie that your cousin Rachel had recommended on Insta last week.  It was perfect for our castle frame of mind.

On Friday I went to the Grove to replenish my stock, which meant more display building.  This bucket is in the window in the restroom.  It is also the bucket I found at DI several weeks ago, on a day when Jenn's mom was shopping there.  I took it over to her, and she bought it and put it to use. 

Loved this sweet and funny sock that my friend Marci had on display.  I found several things to take home.  

And as it turns out, we were not the only ones visiting the American South last week!!

Dad posted this picture of his platoon from when he finished basic training back in 1972 for Veterin's Day.

On Saturday, after building displays for 3 days in a row, I finally got out the little tea set I got at First Monday Trade Days.  I thought it was a cute addition to my turquoisish transferware collection.  

Isn't it the cutest?  Circa 1880s.  This room will soon be getting a bit of a makeover.  I can't wait.

and in the mood for changing out, I moved this 1880 aesthetic transferware full size tea set from the angel desk where I had put it before our trip to Texas.  Yep, the rest of my china from this period is in my dining room hutch, so it makes sense to move it in here.

and I changed out some things to put a Thanksgiving display on the hutch. 

Yep, I resisted the urge to put up Christmas, though I may weaken and put up a tree in the family room before Thanksgiving, but definitely not the main tree.  The little plaque in the middle is a carved wood look with pilgrims I found at Treasures about a month ago.

Here is the pastel pot collection in the angel desk top, where I had had the brown tea set for all of two weeks.  Hmmm, not sure I like it here at all, though.  alas...

Alex posted this picture that day as he is now an officer in a one of his high school clubs.  Way to be involved Alex!!

That evening Dad and I headed over to Woodland Hills to an art show.  Rose Datoc Dall is definitely my favorite contemporary artist.  I was so thrilled to go and see her house, if nothing else.  And of course was very excited to meet her.

Here we are at Rose's house.

Dad liked this one of Samuel the Lamanite.

This painting is done on the back of an antique child's school desk seat by an artist who loves old patina.  I was at Treasures the day she bought the desk.  She asked me to take the back piece off then gave me the rest of the desk.  This is the first time I have seen the painting.

This gal was so tickled when I bought a small painting from her.  Her name is Haily South ...

Her little oval painting of Ofilia is behind another little portrait I got last year when we went with the Kews to Kirk Richards Business card size art show. I think they make a lovely pair.  And speaking of artists, the doll is also a lovely piece from a favorite artist.  Netty's Gnomes have almost become an accidental collection.  I traded her, when she was alive and shopping at Treasures for one doll, paid her a hundred and a half for a second, then Dad surprised me by commissioning  an Elfaba doll from her.  Now when I see them at estate sales or other places, I can't pass them up.  I now have a collection of around 20.  Yikes, this little gal, that matched my bedroom pallet was found a couple of months ago at DI for $4. 

Here is some of Rose's work.

Here she is selling this painting she did for the show.  I really love it.

and here she is with me, with a painting of Eve behind.  The work is a bit more that 5,000, and I know I want an original of hers.  I told Dad maybe I would save up for a year and buy one next year.  I know ...

I also really loved this painting, and Dad encouraged me to buy it.  It was 650, and I was very tempted, but figured I can't buy it if I am saving for a real Rose Dall. 


She is so amazing.
Today we had a lovely sabbath, though it was weird being at church and knowing the Kews are gone.  We also got to see this Young Adult Fireside in Finland where Elder Holland spoke.  To the right of him, in the photo, is Sister Kervinen, and it was so fun to watch her, and her reactions, it was sort of like watching it with an old friend.  After they are released we'd like to go back to Finland and visit them.  Such wonderful people.











 

No comments:

Post a Comment