Sunday, October 2, 2022

How Long Ago Was That?


So Monday, I spent the day finishing up items to sell at The Grove in Pleasant Grove. I started to work with Jenn around the time we named my flea market into fleaology, at her suggestion.  That was probably 8 or 9 years ago.  It'll be so fun to work with her again.

We were all loaded and ready to go so when Dad finished up a ministering interview with one of his Elders, we drove to PG, and Dad put the floor down in my space, using the same linoleum he put in the garden house.  Then I stocked the space, as you see above.

 It was fun when Nell surprised us by dropping by.  She had seen the van outside and asked if we needed help.  She made things much easier, which we greatly appreciated.  Then Trevor called and invited us to dinner.  It just doesn't get better than that.

We had a potato bar which was perfect, and got to hang out with these adorable kids, shown here on their great grandmother's gold couch.  Now we're wondering just how long ago their great grandmother got this amazing mid century couch.  Of course Nell had it recovered, to make it the perfect match.  

Tuesday started for me with some kayaking at Salem pond.  Do you know Ann and I have been doing morning exercise together on and off since 1992?  Yep, thirty years.

And here our not so tiny dancer, whose been dancing for five years...

And selling candy for 5 weeks, or so,  to help pay for it.

On Wednesday Dad went out to Mosida to work on handcarts again.  I worked at Treasures and managed to get almost everything I had into the store.  

I got off an hour early so we could get to Genola by 6 for a dinner with the Stake Presidency of the Goshen Stake.  We had about 75% of the missionaries there, along with the Stake Presidency and their wives.  As you can see everything was beautiful.  They also had a potato bar, what are the chances?  This Stake Presidency is relatively new, having been in for around a year.  The President in shown speaking, behind his wife, and our director, Sister Parker sits next to them.

At work on Thursday again, I added the collection of white pitchers that I have gathered over the last 6 weeks to the top shelves of this cupboard.  I found a few at DI, the best ones I got at the antique show two weeks ago, I found a couple of survivors at home from my collection years ago, and found a well priced set of 3 on line. I also got a couple at the yard sale of a dealer who collects them too.  In all, there were 15!  But it was fun.  

Dad enjoyed his normal shift at the temple that afternoon.

When I got home, I ate and then went to the Payson Park for Book Club.  It was established in 1996, but I didn't join it until 2000, after Ann Shumway invited me, a few months after we moved to Payson.

I've really come to enjoy all these great ladies.

Dad, meanwhile, was at the BYU, Utah State game.  The two teams met for the first time 100 years ago.  The winner at each meeting got to keep a wagon wheel.  Well this time BYU took the wagon wheel home, and there is no expectation of another meeting, due to BYU starting with a new conference next year.

On Friday Dad and I headed to Bountiful for his reunion which celebrates the 75th year of the mission.  My brother Bruce came over to bring a large glass water decanter, as the man who had been assigned had forgotten.  He was chatting with Mike Nyborg, who is the uncle of Katriina Adams Jarvis, who lived in our house during our second mission.  He served at the same time as Dad did in Finland. His mother is Finnish and his father was the ambassador to Finland for something like 5 years when he was a child. 

Bruce was telling about the time when he had a Finnish companion in Canada on his mission.  They tracted into a good sized Finnish expat community there, and his companion said, that now he knew why had had been sent to Canada.  Bruce recited his testimony in Finnish to everyone's amazement.  He said he felt that he should be able to help somehow when they were teaching Finns, and had memorized it, so funny, that is something I never knew.  He served his mission in Ontario, Canada mission from 1967 to 68, Dad served his mission from 1972-74.

Here he shares his story with a Finn, who served with Dad in Finland, and who is 6 foot 7, and a Sister Loken who also served with Dad.

It was super fun to see Kati-Susanna Cohen, a Finn I met on our first mission, and Sister London who served as an office missionary on that mission as well.

Here I have a presence as I take a picture of Dad and Veikko Puikkonen.

Here's my friend Kati-Susanna, setting out the food.

Dad got a picture of Sirpa Jarvis, a  Finn we've met many times at all kinds of Finnish events, with her husband, who Dad met for the first time, his name is Scott.

Here are Dad and I with two sisters from our second mission.McKenna Terry and Kortnee Sanders

Here are Sister Wade with Emili Jones, both from our first mission.

And here is Sister Jones, with her father and grandfather who both served in Finland as well.  Her grandmother is actually a Finn.  Love that.

And here we are with both of the Cohens.  We've only seen them one other time on this side of the pond.  It was fun to see them again.

This young man is a Finn who happens to be living in Dubai, and came to town for conference.  How fun is it that he got to come to the reunion?  Here he is taking home a half gallon of aged lemon aide, called Sima.  It is fermented, until the raisins raise to the top.  Definitely an acquired taste.  I thought he was probably the happiest of anyone who took some home.

Bruce was so nice, he came back to get the water server, and got a chance to talk to Forrest Mottishaw, who Dad and I had driven up with.  He and his wife live in Springville.  He went to high school with me, and to Finland with Dad.  The fun thing is that when he moved to Utah from Idaho he was in the fifth grade, so it would have been 1964,  Bruce was working at the elementary school in West Bountiful where he lived, and remembered meeting him. (He is the son of one of Bruce's high school teachers.) so it turned out to be a reunion of sorts for Bruce too.

I went to this garage sale on Saturday morning, run by 6 or 7 friends around my age getting rid of the cool stuff I like and sell at the antique store. It was a great sale.  I hit two other great sales, so though I had gotten every thing in the pipe line into a store this week, I now have more goodies to work on this coming week. My favorite thing was a sign that says 'Don't Feed the Hippies', which is perfect for my Grove booth where I am focusing on 60s and 70's stuff.

After I got stuff in I went out to move the car to the street so Dad and we could take the van, and found these folks admiring the house.  I wasn't up to showing them the house, but invited them to see the garden house, with a promise to show them the house the next time we spiff it up for a party.

I got Dad to stop by The Grove to pick up a couple of items I'd seen during the week.  Only one of them was there, but it was the one I wanted most.  I also ran into my friend Wendy, there.  She moved into the antique mall in about 2005, for we've been friends for quite a long time. Its to her that I owe my love of Cafe Rio

We headed to Robin's Roost in Bluffdale.  I bought these carriage house doors about a month ago, and we finally found a time she was in town, and we had the time.  Her husband is show loading the last door here.  I've only known Robin for about 3 months, but I've loved her store.

We drove home via Redwood Road, so I could stop at the 3 week old DI there.  Dad came in to pick a few videos, then relaxed in the van until I was done.  

When we got home he stack the doors in the carport.

Can you imagine two of the doors in the middle of that open space?  We can't wait to enclose this patio/carport so that we can gather our whole family any time of the year.

Trevor found this cool framed work of art this weekend to add to his and Nell's collection.  How fun is that.  He's been collecting Colby Stanford's work for more than five years. 

On Instae, this week, I saw a promotion for Joanna Gains new series about how they've redone a castle in Waco, Texas. Chip has been looking at, and trying to get this castle to make-over for 20 years.  I was  thrilled to see she had chosen this wallpaper.  Its the same wallpaper we just hung in our conservatory guest room.  I showed this to Dad, and he found the first of the series on their network.  I loved it and asked to see another episode, but evidently only the first has been released.  In checking it out on line, so see more about the series, I ran across info saying that the castle is done, and they are having an open house for the month of October.  WHAT!  And us just about ready to embark on a trip to Texas.  I found tickets for sale, and we bought a pair for October 25th.  It will require us to leave 3 days earlier than we intended to, so I hope that Emily doesn't regret our extra time with her.  We are so thrilled.

And today is our meet-a-versary.  Its been 48 years.  So hard to believe.  This is the collage Dad made to let the world know.


A fun coincidence for me was picking up this old conference journal that I did on our first mission, and to see that the quote enclosed in the box is by the hand cart pioneer who said he never regretted his choice to come by hand cart.  I love this quote, but this journal was written in 7 years ago.  Now we are hand cart pioneers of sorts, and his story has come to have so much greater depth for us. 

We loved conference, and taking notes really kept me focused.  I hope that if you wanted to, you had time to immerse yourself as well.

I smiled when one of my ladies sent me this happy sabbath picture of her drinking herb tea from the tea cup I gifted her last week.

I felt further blessed when Darby invited us to come to dinner.  Her sweet potato enchilada's were to die for.  So yum... and did you know that these two have been together for almost five years?  Somehow it seems like forever.  We just love Dallas, and we have always loved Darby.

We hope you found great joy in your work this week. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment