Sunday, April 24, 2022

All Work and No Play Would Make Scott a Dull Boy so...

On Monday Becca and Brady celebrated their 15th anniversary. The 15th anniversary is of them in Hawaii, 10th anniversary in London, 5th anniversary at Disneyland, holding a wedding picture.  So Fun. 

 
I started just as usual walking with my friend Carolyn at Walmart.  I laughed when I saw these knit shorts, because they reminded me so much of the wool knit diaper covers that babies wore over their diapers, before plastic pants were invented, because the wool was so nonabsorbent it acted as a barrier between a soggy diaper and anything the baby sat on.  Yep, my inner historian just takes over sometimes. 

Dad met up with Ashley to donate platelets, after spending a half day at Mosida, on the work crew.  I did my last make up day at Treasures for the trades I did for the cruise.

Speaking of which, on Tuesday, my inner historic artist thought this great old field fan (They blew away chaff during wheat harvest) looked cool as the fan blade runs exactly along the paint line, out at Mosida. 


I stepped away from the handcart to take a picture as we were sanding to prepare it for a sturdier finish.  This is Sister Child, and Sister Nielson in front, behind are Sister Parker and Sister Smith.

Here are the 10 handcarts we got sanded. We still have another 70 to go.

During our lunch break we met our final couple, the Jordans, Elder Jordan shows a map of all the Mormon pioneer trails.

After lunch Dad and some of the brethren, went out to work on this trench which will take a waterline to the handcart washing station.  In the past they have run hoses.

I passed of my Thisbe Read narrative and washed some windows in the Lodge.

That night Dad and I went to Becca's club 92 (Becca's group for past customers, where she invites all  to to participate is something fun each month.) movie screening of  The Secrets of Dumbledore. 

Becca got the same owls to be in a photo shoot as when Moes, Heuers and we saw at them at the ballet fundraiser last year. This, of course is Barb and Randy.

It was fun to meet Becca's new assistant and his wife there.  They met on their mission to Japan and she even met the Stevensons when she was on her mission, which of course we always love!! 

I worked on Wednesday and noticed this cute baby picture in the Mother's Day display, with the tongue exposed.  My brother Emory's tongue was often in evidence, just like this, in his baby and toddler pictures.  I've seen the pictures, so that made me think fondly of him, and what a kind and gently man he is.  I actually took the picture to send to his wife Nina, who I know misses him so much.

This lady came in with a senior citizen's group.  When she brought up the doll I thought, wow that doll looks just like her.  Then I took the picture after she said she was buying it because she thought it looked like her. 

Meanwhile Dad was back out at Mosida, this time digging out post holes for a fence.  This auger ground out the basic narrow hole, and the guys dug them out wide enough for the posts.

Dad and I met up with Ann, Matt and two other couples from their ward at the Olive Garden that night. Then we went to the Orem Hale Center Theater to have our hearts broken at Camelot.  I really hate the story so much, that I had to look away when ever Guinevere and Lancelot embraced.  

But here is something I love, and she won most photogenic in a dance competition this week.

Something else I love is that Hannah loves bees because they remind her of Ben.  They have the same effect on me, maybe it was the Festival of Trees tree we did.

Emily did a post on line about how wonderful and supportive Sam had been to her, while she was sick and hospitalized.  I have never thought she looked like Becca, but for some reason, when I first saw this picture of her, I thought it was Becca.  Who knew?

I wore a rather colorful outfit to work on Thursday and laughed when I saw this matching planter.

Dad, of course, did his temple shift, and then brought me Cafe Rio when he picked me up to go to Lu's performance as Shmee in Peter Pan.

All the pirates wore striped shirts.  I thought Lu's glasses made her a perfect Schmee.

Here are her fellow performers, and someone went to a lot of work to crochet the crocodiles costume.  I wonder if it was the great crocheter, Lu?

Her private audience ...

And admirers

Wow!

On Friday Dad and I worked on the yard.  I cleaned out the flower bed by the side of the garage, and planted Giant Zinnias.  I saw my neighbor Coralee outside and asked her about my Flowering Almond bush which is really stunted.  I went over to her house to get items for a cure, and saw her beautiful diamond stenciled floor in her kitchen.  I just love it.  Maybe I can convince Dad to let me do it in the library.  I mean I have a painted floor in my craft room already.

That night we went to the theater in American Fork that we always affectionately called 'the sticky shoe'.  It used to show late run movies, cheaply.  Now its called officially, The Towne Hub, and they have all kinds of entertainment on their stage. This time it hosted The Groovy Mule, Darby's friend Dallas' rock band.

It was really, really loud, and I did not recognize a single song, but I was getting into it by the time the concert finished up.  Hannah came with her Dad who is something of a guitar enthusiast.  He teaches guitar and said, though this wasn't his favorite music, there were many songs he had taught in the past to students.
On Saturday, while looking for my silver polish to shine up a bit of silver plate I'd bought at work on Thursday, I found my five tomato spoons.  I bought another last summer and had been looking for them to put them together for a display.  

Here they are all polished.  I just love odd Victorian silver plate utensils, they had so many things for so many uses, I find it fascinating. 

Emily knows I love sushi and chopsticks and sent me these pictures of Abigail using her mad skills. 

and someone else in the family has mad skills too.  Here are some pics that Hannah posted of herself and Scott doing Acroyoga.  Weirdly in the picture in the bottom left Scott looks a bit like Ben to me.

Here's Dad's post for Penny's 7th birthday on Saturday.

On Saturday morning we headed north, stopping first at Treasures to drop off the desk that's been in the library for many years, so that we could go and pick up the antique desk I bought from Barb's sister a couple of weeks ago.  (Picture below)  After picking up the desk, we stopped to grocery shop at the Macey's in Lehi, where Dad ran into Todd Berret with whom he used to work at the head office, back in the day.

Then we headed to Vee J Sharp's funeral in Eagle Mountain.  Vee was in the bishopric with Dad back in the late 70s and early 80's, with Bishop Brough.

Here's a picture of his wife Judy, I added it because the one of her with us doesn't look as much like her, as this one does. She is four or five years older than us, doesn't she look great?


Here's a picture of them when Vee and Dad were serving together.  The funny story is that when they were all brought together, Bishop Brough had 5 daughters, we had 4, Vee and Judy had three, and the ward clerk Tee Tyler had 2 ... during that first year or so, all four family's had a son.

Dad had a meeting for Stake Conference at four so we worked on getting the Monstrosity out and into the house  (Remember this is what the Burdett's called it) and we found out part of the reason it must have earned that name.  Its solid oak, and even with the crown, door, and drawers removed, its almost impossible to move.

Here he takes off the crown to get it under the arch ways.


With the new ceiling and the beautiful new desk, we decided it was time to choose a wallpaper.  I have gone back and forth and back and forth, between a William Morris paper and a red plaid paper.  Finally  I thought I would end up hating the plaid, after a while, but William Morris' designs never grow old.  I think this lovely Art Nouveau paper is from about the time the house was built, so I think it will be perfect.

And Speaking of beautiful, I thought this picture of Megan with Tanner as a preschooler was almost ethereal.  Oh how we love this brave young mother.

That night we met up with the Kews to attend our Adult session of Stake Conference.  Then we drove up to Spanish to have dinner at the Olive Garden.  Dad and I both tried the eggplant parmigiana, which we often dislike, and it was delicious.

Here we are at Stake Conference today, where we sat between the Kews and Brother Pierre.  It was a wonderful meeting.

As you can see we spent a lot of time eating out and going to entertainments, but we feel like the indulgences, were balanced with a fair bit of work. We hope that you made lots of wonderful memories this week as well. 

















 

No comments:

Post a Comment