Sunday, April 4, 2021

Enjoying Texas Free Range Children


Monday with a sleeping baby.

I enjoyed how snugly Emily's girls are.

This is a picture of Sam Rayburn, with three Presidents.  He was the speaker of the house longer than anyone else, more than 17 years.  He is from Bonham, Texas and we went to see his house museum.  As a democrat, I am sure my parents admired him, so it was fun to think they might have smiled at our tour of his home.

He was pretty much a bachelor, as his only marriage lasted just three months.  It seems that he and his best friend got married in a double ceremony then went on a double honeymoon, where he and his best friend spent a lot of time getting drunk together.  I guess the double new brides were not fans. Both couples divorced soon after the ill fated honeymoon,

Being obsessed with wallpaper lately, I fell in love with the paper in the breakfast room.

And it was my first time to be a screen porch, which is much like what I would like to do off our dining room, but with glass instead of screens.

This is the outside.  Above there were twin sleeping porches, one for the girls and one for the boys.  Sam grew up in a family of 11 children.  That must have made for fun nights.  He later bought the home from his parents estate, and made it kind of fancy, to align with his career. We stood in a bedroom where Teddy Roosevelt once slept.

We loved the story of this Cadillac that was gifted to him on his retirement as Speaker.  All of the members of the house donated $25 each, the most he would take from an individual.  He did however, give back the money to the republicans, as he felt it was a conflict of interest.

The museum house includes the beginnings of a working farm.  

Benny loved the donkey.  Don't you think a donkey is perfect for the only animal other than a cat and chickens at a Democrat's home?


We drove into town and I loved these two homes.



On Tuesday, after school we went along as the kids had Taekwondo, Benny sat on his Papa's lap the whole time.  Sam was at home teaching Spanish on line.

Dad replaced Emily's kitchen light fixture, as the original had never been bright enough.

After School on Wednesday Bekie and I hosted a tea party.  Her Mamaw, far right, had her sister, Aunt Susan visiting so they joined us.  Here are the girls making hats for the party.

Here I am with the girls in our hats.

and the whole gang.


Bekie chose a lot of ideas out of her Fancy Nancy Tea Party book.

Bekie made the jelly rolls, and ants on a log.  I made the ribbon and cucumber sandwiches, and we bought Williams favorite cookies.


Emily made pink lemonade instead of tea, which I think I will do from now on for kids teas.
Emily acting as our maid.

Aunt Susan shows off her favorite, the ribbon sandwiches, always a staple for me when I host a tea party.  I fell in love with them as a teenager, when my Mom served them at a party.  It was the only thing I insisted be served at my wedding reception.  The egg salad is so bright it looks like I added food coloring, but it is just the Talley's home grown eggs.

What good sports Sheila and Susan are. 

Emily has a little game that she plays with fortune cookies, so I bought some to be included.  We just made up fortune questions, then read the fortune for an answer.  This one was perfect.  Emily asked.  How will it go at the flea market tomorrow.  It was perfect, and I did.

William was a good sport and even made a hat of his own, though his Mom found him a dinosaur plate, as a base, and he glued on an army man and a snake instead of flowers and netting.  

Dad and went to the First Monday Trade Days in Canton on Thursday, its  an hour and a half to the east.  We drove through Emory again, of course I love it because it makes me think of my darling brother.

Once we got to the Flea, we found this cute sign, and thought about getting it for Emily.  Alas, it had been sold by the time we went back to the booth.


This place, with the gnome, that made us feel right at home, was a full on decorating store.  We headed towards that outside booths.

This man  sells things he digs, mostly in Latin American, but also in Europe.  The two items in the middle are from Europe, and are 3,000 year old cape, or blanket pins. He had a bunch of buttons, musket balls, and buckles he had dug that he was selling for a dollar each.  I got a buckle from the 1600s, and some buttons from the 1700s.  It was so interesting,

First thing on Friday I got some pictures of Abby gathering eggs.




She is wearing an egg apron that her Mamaw made for her.

 Benny came along to take them to Mamaw.


Bekie said she loves reading to Benny.

Our snuggle bug again.


Bekie came antique shopping with me in town, to a store that was not open on Tuesday when Dad and I checked out the others. 

On the way home we stopped by a garage sale and I bought and antique oak washstand for $5.  I guess that made up for how little I found at the Flea.

Dad also replaced all of Emily's blinds.  The ones that came with the house were so flimsy, you could tear them.  Amazingly.  


The kids took some art work to enter it in a local contest.  I loved Bekie's entry.


While in town we stopped at a fun candy store, antique mall combo.  Half the store was candy, lots of old fashioned stuff, and all in antique and retro displays.  It was so charming.

We stopped for groceries on the way home.

During conference, William put together the model of the Salt Lake Temple that Emily had gotten him with the birthday money we had sent.
Here he is with the finished model. I was amazed at his stick to it-iveness.  Especially since it is for children over 11, and he just turned 8!

Emily made sushi for us that night.  She made each child's favorite roll for them.


So fun!

Of course there was plenty for Dad and I as well, and edamame to remember Ben by, as well.

After dinner it was off to get pedicures.



The girls just loved the pampering.

Bet you can pick out my toes.

Back at home we played games, and when Abby and I were playing boggle, we decided to make up a story with all the words she could find.  It was pretty fun, and she did great for a kindergarten kiddo.

Papa read a book to Benny.


That night, at home, Trevor and Spencer got together and watched the Priesthood session with their boys, then went out for Mexican.  I know Dad felt bad about missing that.

It was fun to watch the kids outside on Sunday morning.

I loved the women and children's choir presentation at conference.  I thought these children were the absolute cutest in their traditional dress.

I thought this General Authority's talk was amazing, and hey, he has great taste in ties too.

As Emily would say, it was pretty Cozy-coz watching conference together.

That afternoon we all went over to Sheila and Steve's for Easter dinner and an egg hunt.  Here the kids color their place mats before dinner.  Sam's brother Mike came with his wife and two sons.





Sheila had gone to a lot of work to make the hunt super fun. You can see here that Benny got a hair cut while the girls were getting their pedicures.

The swing was fun too.

After the second session we decided to go on a walk, and only Abby was interested.  We stopped to smell the wisteria.

Now we can saw we went to the Silos in Texas.


It was a lot of fun.

And just for fun, we thought we'd post this Easter picture of the Moomin.  We hope your Easter and/or Conference Sunday was lovely too.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment