Sunday, February 3, 2019

Movies and Magic and Marriages

ah Monday ... another week begins ... I put the metal hall tree into the 'Eliza R. Snow', guest room, as you can see on the right ...
I also found the old picture on the left so I took a picture on the right to show how different they are.

The biggies that happened that day got no pictures, but I'll list them.  I had Kari Best cut my hair, we got the car back with its new engine, ($3100) and Dad had his first on-line Finnish lesson.

 Tuesday was Dad's 66th birthday, so to celebrate we went and saw this movie, at a theater in Spanish Fork that has only recliners.  It was $5 Tuesday, so it was a cheap date ... we had Cafe Rio afterwards.

Then we babysat these beauties and their brother, while their parents went to the Hale Center Theater to see, The Odd Couple.

I worked on Wednesday and spent the best part of the day, which was very slow, making decor for our Young Women's New Beginnings.  I had Pat come in to take my last two hours so that I could get to the church on time ... these fine Young Men and their leaders put up our chairs and tables.

 I'd painted 12 vases, then made the signs, hearts and pinwheels to go in them.  I also punched the scatter.  I forgot to get a picture of the banner with the theme for the year "If ye love me, keep my commandments, which stretched all the way across the curtain on the stage.
 I also made some lollies for our photo booth.  This is some of the girls and leaders before the program, as I knew I would be leaving early.
 Because we drove up to Park City for the Sundance Film Festival ... we joined this crowd in a tent to keep warm before heading into the High School, where the auditorium is fitted with a full size screen.


 We met this young lady, who was not only the screen writer for the movie "Top End Wedding", she was also the star.  Her costar was Gwilym Lee who played Brian May in Bohemian Rhapsody.  They were both there live, which is what we all love about premieres, right?  The only other I've been to was with Robin when Austenland opened at the Sundance Film Festival in 2013.

We'd like to thank Darby and Dallas for their gift of tickets to the festival for Christmas, and I'd like to thank Dad for choosing a winner.  When it comes out for real we'll see it again.  Its the first movie ever made in the Australian Aboriginal Reserve, and the cinematography was stunning. Besides its a romantic comedy, what's not to like?

 And speaking of Robin, after skipping out of work early for a second day in a row, on Thursday Dad and I got to have dinner with them and watch a magic show at Becca's customer appreciation event in Orem. 
 There were some other hooligans there as well.  Starting on the left is Dallas, his brother Zach, Hannah and the back of Darby's head.


 The magician had great taste in choosing 'volunteers'

We got to leave early, again, so that I could attend my book club.  We read 'The Invention of Wings'.   Starting at the top left are Stephanie, Carol, Sandy, Carolyn, Susan, Ann, Suzanne and Brittany.  The book is about a woman and her slave girl.  Which brought up lots of civil rights issues, and it was nice to know that everyone in our group feels about the way I was taught.  And speaking of prejudice, Brittany, who is a lawyer mentioned that she gets black listed by local ladies groups.  Book clubs, sewing groups, bunko groups, even though she knows the other women well and is on good terms with them.  She says she mentions she'd love to join the group, and they say, oh we'd love to have you, we'll give you a call.  But they don't.  We talked about it and tried to figure it out.  She said other women lawyers she knows have the same problem.  How weird is that? She even said when she meets new women they are always friendly until they find out what she does for a living.  Intimidation? So she hangs out with the old ladies .... she is Sandy's daughter, and hosted.  She made southern foods to go with the book, biscuits and gravy and tapioca pudding.

On Friday I got up early to walk with Carolyn, then went shopping for birthday goods for our Charlie.  I sent her package, stopped at a thrift store, and then promptly ceased to be productive at all, (Ok I did some folding, cleaned a bathroom etc) and spent the rest of the day reading.



 Dad spent the day helping kids.  He babysat for Becca, while she went to a conference.  Then headed up to Spencer new house, where they worked on tearing out a wall ....
He was rewarded with a delicious vegetarian pizza!
On Saturday it was my turn to watch Becca's kids while the conference wound down.  Here the adorable Mr. Mac.

Titan was busy building forts with pillows ...

Then it was time to go and see Titan play his Junior Jazz game.


 Afterwards I ran up to the Sugar House Art Market ... I loved this artist, and came very close to buying.
 There were crafts as well ...
 In the end I bought a print by J. Kirk Richards, because I couldn't bring myself to by a quicky 3 by 4 original head of Christ, shown above, for 125.  The print is a classic set of three angels that I have always liked.  (He lives in Woodland Hills, and I have toured his studio in the past)
I ran by the Sugarhouse DI, while in town, and saw this ... anyone recognize it?  Dad did. Its the figurine I painted yellow for Ben's tree at festival.  I mean its the actual item I painted, as it has some flaws ... how funny is that? Now we know what neighborhood the buyers live in.

 Then I met Dad in Highland and we picked up our friend Stina's parents, the Erikssons to drive them to Sister Mica Bradbury's wedding reception in Kaysille. They are here visiting her, as she had twins last fall.
I gathered cup cake wrappers to add to my crafty stash, but I thought they looked like the old detachable lace collars from the early 1900's.  And they matched my outfit too.

 Sister Bradbury had a couple of transfers in Vaasa, where the Erikssons live, so they knew her pretty well.  Here is Sister Newcomb, now Sister Nui.
 Here are Sisters Newcombe, Nelson and Carter.
 Here are a few others with Finnish connections, including Jerry Koponen, third from the left, a Finn who is currently living here, who always carries a Finnish flag.

And then, for the second time in two weeks, Dad ran into an old Barbershopper, Jerry Duggar.

and meanwhile, someone else with a Kaysville connection was getting married in the Ogden Temple the very same day, though we did not know it.  This is our lovely cousin Meg, my brother Doug's daughter.  She married the lovely man that she brought to the Larsen Family Christmas party.  We are so happy for them both.  Between them they have nine children, though Myq's oldest is married.  Also his second and third children share time with their mother. (His second wife passed away)  So it looks like the third time is the charm for these two wonderful people, who have managed to navigate pretty tricky waters in their adult lives.

Sunday was lovely as always.  We're still loving the new two hour schedule, though and was gone for an hour and a half after church.

Other wise we studied together and did some independent reading, not to mention blogging.


No comments:

Post a Comment