Sunday, September 17, 2023

Coloring Our World


Well, Monday was blues day at Mosida, as we all wear our work blues, but I can always count on Sister Newman to wear colorful socks, so I do as well.  Her stripes to my mushrooms.

Here's some of the men weeding around the watering station in their blues, matching the sky.

Our young Elder Marrott mowing the grass as we spruce up the park around the lodge for the trek leadership training we'd be hosting on Saturday. Ron Crump, our fearless leader is shown in the foreground. 

Elder Smith mows the north parking area.

While Elder Marvin mows the beginning of the trek trail.

How cute are the girls in their blues? Sister Crump, Hardman and Smith.

Not sure what Sister Smith is showing them on her phone, but I thought it made the cutest picture. Sisters Lathrop, Smith and Gurr.

Elders Lathrop and Perkins.

That night we watched another Inspector Lynley Mysteries, and one of the guest characters looks exactly like Betty, whose brainchild was the Treasures Antique Mall. 

Tuesday was a great day ... Marci and I had been trying to get together for almost a month for a show and tell junking day.  Her husband, who is post gallbladder surgery, was finally doing well enough that she could take a girl's day off.  She took me on the whole circuit of her favorite junking stores ... Here she ran into the daughter of a friend, and I took a picture.  The orange chairs were some I found to resale ... and resale I did, almost immediately.  Marci's favorite color is orange.  How did I not know that?  I did give her a great deal ... of course.

And she later placed them on the left-hand side of this picture.

Not sure how I did not know orange was her favorite color.

Loved this great crow enclosure, she has amazing stuff.

Joyce and I weren't exactly feeling colorful that day as we met at the Paradise Cafe for an early dinner, but we had a lovely meal and even a better visit. 

I snagged this picture of Hannah and Scott down at Lake Powell ... of course it made me think of Ben, as he loved floating off these lanterns ... I'm sure that Ben and Scott will like each other when they meet. 

And if you didn't see this announcement of Clay's return from his mission, I thought I'd put it here, hope to see you there. 

and, as always, despite the fact that I don't love orange, I do love it as part of the autumn/Halloween color scheme.  This is a post that Jenn did of her decor at the Grove in PG.

At work on Wednesday, I met these two sisters, one of whom lives in Idaho.  I love that they not only wore the same colors, but actually the same outfits to go shopping together.  I've got to get Joyce and me matching outfits, it just makes me smile. Especially when I remember dressing my girls alike, mostly on Holidays. 

Here is the display I put together that day ... the witch in the lacy hat lost her lacy hat the same day.  In fact the gal that bought it, also bought the necklace off my neck.  It was the orange and yellow buckle one I have worn for years that my friend Wendy made, back in the day.  But the lady had new orange shoes that day. (I know, because I was also wearing orange shoes that day, which I had found shopping with Marci the day before, after looking for some second hand for at least 10 years, and lady took me to her car and showed me her new orange shoes she had just bought!!)


Later I added the cathedral window and caged the pumpkin man ... which led to his purchase and temporary release, after he had been displayed for almost a month. (This lady said she had her own bird cage to imprison him at home.  hahaha)


When I got home Dad surprised me with having inset the windows.

On Thursday it was Elias' birthday, as he turns 13.

At work on Thursday, I found this cool blackened silver box with orange stones, which I knew would be perfect for my cabinet of curiosities, that I would be making the next day.  I was just surprised when I found a nearly identical one online with a ridiculous price and description.  It is silver, but it is also a chewing tobacco case. I paid $5 for it. 

Now we see Keith with his colorful friend.  Another dealer bought it from Keith's partner, and Keith and I carried it out to her car ... how fun is he?

And actually, Scott's friend here is also pretty colorful. it is Gustavo Ramirez who came to the hospital where we were visiting Tina, one of the sisters we minister to, who had had a mild heart attack on Monday, Gustavo helped Dad give her a blessing.  We love Gustavo. 

Friday was Bekie's birthday, and she turned 12.  

I just loved this picture of her with her papa. 

Here's a favorite pic I found online for my cabinet of curiosities. I'm fairy sure someone added Edgar's head onto an existing picture, still, it's a lot of fun. 

Shirley and I spend at least five hours working on our cabinets ... she brought a lot of goodies to share and made my cabinet so much nicer than it would have been.  She's always lovely to work with and it was a lot of fun.

She did tell me that she actually added several items to hers later. The orange beads in the beaker were from me.  I found a small bottle of orange dehydrated paint balls at DI.  I bought them for just this application.  

Can you spot my bottle of dehydrated paint balls?

Other items of note are the postmortem tin type, and the gun powder canister from the civil war.  Did you notice the skulls in the wallpaper design?  This project was so fun, and it was fun to go out for Mexican food too. Dad even appreciated the box of leftovers he got later. 

And while Shirley and I were having fun, Dad had gone shopping, who ever thought that Dad would have to open the window to stick out boards in the van, but they were 16 footers, earmarked for the extension of the roof of the lodge ... who'd have thought. 

That night we headed to the Heuer's for a game night.  I thought Brady would appreciate the hitch hiking ghosts from the Disney Haunted Mansion at the house across the street.  They just seem bluer than I remembered. 

We had a great time sharing snacks and playing hand and foot.
We're a colorful bunch, eh?


Early Saturday we were off to Mosida again, only this time in our alternate outfits, colorful Pioneer clothing.  Here some of the Sisters finish up prep on the lunch we would serve later. 

Sisters Smith and Marvin consult. 

The guys in costume, Elders Gurr, Lathrop and Marvin.

Hanging out outside, as we await our guests to arrival. 

The tables are set up and the Hardmans practice their instruments for the program.

You can see the back row of tables, and the pioneer clothing exhibit that the Sisters together on Monday. 

Sister Marvin is cast in the little camper's skit as the Diva ... the pink fingernails say it all. 

And we all love how Sister Smith does her hair ... how pretty is this. 


I just laughed when I saw the painted rocks in the flower bed.  Not sure who put them there, though I do know that some Young Women's groups do paint rocks and then place them randomly to brighten
the world.  Well, it brightened mine.

Just about ready to go. 

And before you know it, we have all done our skits, shared information about the medical shed, and loading hand carts correctly, showing them how to play Swedish Baseball and a shortened version of a hoe down.  Lunch has been eaten, and Santa Claus Marvin takes his bag of 'goodies' to the dumpster, and we clean up before heading home. 

as we finish our day at Mosida with a picture of us all in pioneer dress, with one of our handcarts. Perkins, Hardmans, Sister Pittman, Gurrs, Crumps, Marvins, Lathrops, Newmans, Brimhalls and Smiths. 
That was a lot of work. 

But the rainbow always comes as a reminder ...

When we got home there were beautiful flowers left to add even more color to our lives ... thanks Davin and Bri, et al. 

Dad managed to pull himself together to perform that night in a program at the Assembly Hall on Temple Square with the Saltaires, who he has rejoined.  His Mission Mom, Sister Wade came to support him. 

Today we celebrate Emily and Sam's 13th anniversary.  I love all the red. 

And I am so thankful to Dave's family for the flowers.  Otherwise, this table would still be covered with crafting scraps from Friday.  Isn't it just beautiful?  The huge pink Dahlia you can see facing out on the far right, is a Dinner Plate Dahlia.   Even names can be colorful, don't you think?

It was fun to find out that Britt and Chaley flew down to join Darby and Trevor and family to go see the Lumineers in concert at Usana today.  We love it that our kids love getting together. 

... and now to add more than a little green.  We're not sure how it got so big I go out and pick every other day, but this one just evaded us.  Not that there haven't been plenty of giant zukes ... but this one is just ridiculous.  Today we had Zumato Stew for dinner.  I froze some grated zucchini for future use, made zucchini bread for the second time this week, and made a cookie sheet size Scarpaccia Zucchini Tart, that I will use this week as a pizza crust ... and there are more Zucchinis on the way.

And last of all we watched Elder Renlund's talk at Education week that had been recommended by our Sunday School Teacher today, Kevin Crook, which was excellent, and which we recommend. 

So that was our color filled week.  Thank you, Heavenly Father for Rainbows, and flowers, and Zucchini, and even for people who paint rocks and spread them around to bring joy to others.  Today in sacrament meeting a returned missionary sister said that her Mission President had told her to 'Enjoy to the End.'  I know that if we are close to our Heavenly Father and Jesus, that we will always find joy, even in the midst of sorrow.  I know it sounds contradictory, but I also know it's true ... 
so Enjoy to the End. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment