Monday, August 21, 2023

Living in the Past


And Monday found us across the hall from the room at the Old Pine Inn that celebrates Betsy Ross and the flag she sewed in 1776.

This building in the front of the Old Pine Inn was originally the town Train Station, the town was settled in 1865.

We spent the day in Cedar City and St. George junking at an antique store in Hurrican, and DIs in both towns, as well as a stop by the nearly completed Red Cliffs Temple.  It was announced in 2018, had its name changed from the Washington County Temple to the Red Cliffs Temple in 2020, with the groundbreaking in November of 2020 of that year. We were told the furniture is now in place, but no one knows when the open house will be.  It is the 66th of 100 temples we hope to see before we die. 


And look at this beautiful picture that your cousin Katie posted of the same temple.

That evening we attended a seminar, this green show and the play, Emma at the Shakespeare Festival, which had its first season in 1962.

The green shows are free and are held outside, as you see.  This one had a Regency Garden theme to go along with the Regency Era play Emma, based on Jane Ausen's book which was published in 1815, a year and a half before her death.

Here are Dad and I in front of the magical set for the play. I didn't love the play as much as I wanted to.  The play wright had taken great liberties with Miss Smith, making her a comic figure, which I found annoying.

One is not allowed to take pictures during the plays, but the actress shown in the darker blue was also in the green show and I got this picture of her.  She played the most hilarious Mrs. Elton I have ever seen.  So much fun.

On Tuesday morning it was time to move out of the Old Pine Inn (established  1882).

Then we headed toward the Big Rock Candy Mountain for some rock hounding.  I loved this piece of rock that looks like bacon.

And this one looks like a rainbow ...

This looks like Van Gogh's Starry, Starry Night to me (You might need to squint a bit) which was painted in 1889.

Not sure what this looks like, but I thought it was beautiful, most of the color is lichen, 

These are the rocks that made the cut, by being the right size, to be part of my future memory wall. (Sounds like an oxymoron to me). Maybe 2024

and here's the Big Rock Candy Mountain, it is estimated to have been formed some 2 billion years ago. Then shortly after the release of the song, The Big Rock Cany Mountain was released, in 1928, a local put up a homemade side proclaiming this pastel-colored mountain as the Big Rock Candy Mountain.  It stuck. 

Highway 89 which runs from one end of Utah to the other, and then into Arizona was established in 1926.  It used to be the main artery through Utah, before I-15 took over, so those traveling to California would have driven by the Big Rock Candy Mountain, and Marysvale regularly.  I15 in Salt Lake City was opened in 1964, and I remember being told at the time, that my father's funeral entourage was the first to ever take the 6th south over pass exit into Salt Lake before driving to Highland Dr out to the Wasatch Lawns Cemetary on 33rd and Highland.  Of course, Funeral entourages are a thing of the past...


Yep, that's us, the old timers.

We got home just in time for Dad and CJ Waite to install our 'new' water heater.  Thanks again to the B and B Summers family. 

After work on Wednesday Dad and I hooked up with the Shumways and another couple, to see Clue at the Hale Center Theater in Orem.  The game Clue has been around since 1944. The play didn't appear until 1993.  Here we have Mrs. White (Who inexplicably wears black), Colonel Mustard, Professor Green and of course Miss Scarlet,

Other family members were doing fun stuff as well, like dressing in pink to go to the Barbie movie.  And of course, you will be wondering when the first Barbie appeared.  Her first date was to the March 9, 1951 International Toy Fair in NYC ... though I think she must have been on her own, as I'm sure Ken was just a twinkle in her eye, at that point. 

Here I am at work on Thursday, taking a picture of my boss, Richard, as he tries on a vent hood.  Yep, it's always fun at the antique mall, and has been since it opened back in 1998, as we celebrate our 25th year.

I found this game at the same estate sale where I got the listed artist painting last week.  The first Pollyanna game out shortly after the book was published, in 1915.  I have owned 3 partial games from different periods, but this is the first with a game board ... and its older than I am. 


On Thursday our friend and half Finn Denise Jamsa dropped by and gifted us this sweet antique etagere that belonged to her Finnish mother and came from Finland.  The first Etageres were made in the mid-18th century in France, during the reign of Louis 15th.  It was originally white and had been stripped, which I think caused it, it the process, to come apart.  Lucky us.  
Later I headed over to the McBeth's.  They are in the process of moving out of this historic house that has been in their family since 1870, when the property was homesteaded.  They have the original certificate verifying this.  Unfortunately, no family members are interested in buying the house, so after 155 years the home will have a new owner.  The center of the house was a 2 room, 2 story home, it later had as many as 4 additions.  I think they did a fabulous job of keeping the integrity of the original.  Such a charming house.  I am helping her dispose of some of her antiques, as her husband is now in a memory care facility, and she feels the house is too much.  They recently sold off access to Peteetneet creek which formed the back border of their property all these years.  I am kind of glad, because if it still had creek access, I'm afraid I might be tempted beyond Dad's ability to talk me out of it. 

Some of the grandest grands started school too.

You might recognize some of these cute faces.

We love them all. 

By Friday I was ready for some fun with girls ... it started with Janey and Ann and some kayaking on Salem Pond, which was created by damning a stream that came out of a spring there, in 1851. And just for fun, Kayaks, in a rudimentary form were first built approximately 5,000 years ago by the Inuit an Aleut people in Artic North America. 

Then I was off to join Joyce to celebrate her birthday a couple of weeks late.  She was born in 1956.

Here is the gift I took to her. It had ...

this inside.  When we were kids, maybe around 1962-3 someone gave our mom a red patent leather toy purse with a music box in it.  We got to share it, and you can imagine how that went over.  Anyway, I've been looking for one like it for years, with no luck, but just in time for her birthday, I found this one on ebay,  We both shed tears when she opened it.  Such a fun memory. 

We met at my favorite DI in sugar house.  The Deseret Industries began in 1938, yep, not surprisingly during the depression.  At it's been solving people's problems ever since. 

Dad spent part of the day going to Brian Nielson's funeral.  He was one of the missionaries that we served with back in 2022 at Mosida. 

But he got home in time to work on the east wall of the carriage house that he is enclosing for a family gathering room. 

On Saturday I went out garaging ... this car was being washed across the street from one I went to.  The owner was nice and let me take a picture of it to show to Dave.

I thought his car carrier was pretty fancy.

at another garage sale, I saw this pair of VW's .... so classic.  The bug is an old one, probably from the 50's.  Of course, we all know that the Volkswagen was first made prior to WW II, having been commissioned by Hitler, as the people's wagon in 1937.
Also in this garage, at this estate sale was a whole box full of biographies of Mary Shelly. Yep, I bought them all, after all its almost Halloween and she is the author of Frankenstein.  She published it in 1816, anonymously, just like Jane Austen had published Emma the year before. 
When I was reading a Jane Austen knock off book last year, I learned that Mary Shelly, her husband, Percy Bysshe Shelley, her half-sister, Lord Byron and others were on an extended vacation at Lake Geneva, and were telling ghost stories, when one of them challenged the group to all write a ghost story and share it.  Frankenstein was Mary's ghost story. 

Boy did a lot of talented people hang out together back then.


While I was garaging, Dad was hanging out with some other quality people at the BYU blue vs white game.



I think they all had a blast.

And these are some of the talented people we got to hang out with on Sunday.  The Brimhalls spoke in their ward in Genola, and we had four other couples from Mosida there to support them.
Perkins, Newmans, Crump, Brimhalls and Gurrs.

And speaking of hanging out with cool people, weren't we?  ... Here we are at Darby's.

When I laid my head on J. Scott's lap to get this great shot ...

He took this picture of me ... Thanks Scottie.

Here is a Scott Collection.  If you count Trevor Scott, that means that 50 percent of the adult males on the premises were named Scott, then 25 persent of the adult males were named Dallas, leaving just 25 percent of the adult males with unique names ... ie Brady and Davin.  Did you see what I did there?
Yep, I counted Horse Dallas, who lives out back and got some visitors, Eleanor, Adi, Elias and Titan.

Some girl cousins, Madi, Nenna and Reagan.

Madi and Penny

Becca and Brady mentioned that he is looking for a Mustang ... knowing he already has Camero, I laughed as those were the two cars Dad and I had when we met.

This is what our cars looked like. Dad's was one year off the classic 1967 being a 68, but mine was right on classic as a 1967.  Of course Brady will be getting a fast back, so a bit different, But that is what his first car was ... so you see, I am not the only one who is nostalgic.

It was also fun to hear about Dallas' 1969 Chevelle that he is restoring.

How cute are these too ... I had to get them to reinact their snuggle.  It made me smile.

Of coure there are always Aunt Darby shenanigans going on, and Mac loves it. 

Heres some of the girls. Thanks to Reagan for a great shot.
Hannah, Becca, Eva, Paula and Bri.

And a few kids being spun ... even big kids. 


Trevor spinning Penny, I originally thought it was Dallas, who did some serious spinning of kids, but who I guess we missed taking a picture for evidence. 







Watching all the fun.





























No comments:

Post a Comment