Sunday, September 18, 2022

The Day Murphy Came to Stay ... and other days too.


On Monday morning I got hopping.  I dragged out lots of stuff from my craft room, so that Dad could disassemble the double bed in there, because we were to be replacing it.  I had wanted the room to have a bed for guests in the event we needed extra beds.  As it turned out Reagan is the only person who ever slept in it, and that was because she was sleeping over and wanted to have her breakfast in bed in that bed.  The bed really made the room much less functional and in the end was piled with new acquisitions and returned bags of craft goodies coming back from craft gatherings elsewhere.

That afternoon we headed to Bountiful to pick up the Murphy bed my brother Ross and his wife Julie were giving me.
It was fun to see their decor.  Ross has always been somewhat artistic, and I guess Julie has some of that too.  She decoupaged this chair years ago.

I found this coffee table made from part of an airplane (vertical stabilizer) that Ross and Julie had adapted to be a table to be just plain fun.

 Julie made this salvaged wood and metal table herself, as she is a welding kind of gal.

And here Ross stands with a portrait he had commissioned in High School, by one of our common art teachers, Mr Cushing, of our Dad.

I laughed when I realized this salvaged wood wall was wallpaper.  Love it!!

And another table custom made by Julie for the narrow spot that needed 'something'.

Ross and Dad loaded the bed in the van, and when we got home ...

Dad got it on the dolly and got it this far ... from here up the steps into the house and the stair case in side was something ...

Brutal, both Dad and I said it was the hardest thing we had ever moved.  He over course did the majority of the heavy lifting.  Wow.

But its perfect.  It leaves the floor space open.

But still has room to stretch out and with the feather tick that came with it, should be able to fit two kids .... not the 8 kids and four hound dogs and a piggy ... that John  Denver sang about. But enough. We had no trouble sleeping that night.

And look where I got to go kayaking with Ann the next morning.

It is absolutely the most pleasant exercise I have ever gotten.

I got home in time to change and head out to Lehi for the ground breaking of Becca and her fellow investors new building there.  The one the group of five realtor/investors started in Mapleton will done in a couple of months.  Exciting times.  I am standing with the Mayor of Lehi here.

Brady and another realtor stand by.

One of their group makes the speech.

They all take their gold shovels in hand ....

and that was that.  This is one of the realtors from her current office who will be moving into this one, when it is completed next year.

... and Jurassic Tacos too .... but we didn't have time to partake, as we were heading to...

Lunch with two of my high school friends, Debbie and Debbie, and their husbands.  This is Debbie Henderson, now Koew.

This is Debbie Donaldson, now Lieninger, my next door neighbor back then, with her husband Chris.

We had a great time.

Next we headed to this boy's house. If you don't recognize him, its Van, and he had gotten a haircut the day before.  Spencer was in DC, and Van had just started a Pre K program and needed someone to pick him up and watch him for a couple of hours until his Mom got home from work.  Dad actually also did it one Wednesday, but I was working.  I know he loved his bonding time with this fun little man.

And speaking of little men, the very next day was Elias' birthday, he is now 12 and not a little man anymore.

It was also the day the battery in the van died.  I went out to take it to work, and it did the click, click, click thing.  I called Dad and told him I was taking his car and he could come later and bring me the van.  As it turned out it was really a blessing.  The battery was running at about 25% of normal capacity, and just needed to be replaced.   Yeah Dad, he thought it was a blessing too, as all went smoothly and no one got stuck anywhere, or was late to work. 

At work that day, I saw that we have these old gates for sale.  The dealer says they are the original gates from the La Caille Property, and were changed out in the 70's.  Fun eh?  but at $2,000 I am not even tempted.

I did think this owl in a birdcage was clever.  A customer is styling someone's yard for Halloween in Day Break, and is doing Harry Potter.  I guess they have a big contest there, and this company is doing two of the houses.  I gotta get me down and check out the houses the beginning of October.

Thursday was Bekie's birthday.  

At work I was pretty charmed with this garden greenhouse that was put together by one of our talented dealers.  Unfortunately Mike passed away the beginning of this year, and his partner Steven, who is bringing in all of Mike's antiques from home, has said that Mike is haunting him.  Mike was so very talented, and creative, I am sure he's having a hard time moving on, I imagine, but I know it happens.

and speaking of talent, Candice and Andy, from the Home Work TV show came in.  They're between projects, but told us they had won an Emmy for their work on the show.  How cool is that?

So here I am with one of our dealers ... Craig.  Very talented and high sales kinda guy.  He mentioned he was  taking out some stuff to sell at a neighbors garage sale.  I asked if there would be any antiques, he said no, just house hold stuff, but if I liked Doterra, the family's unmarried daughter works there and was bringing some ... turns out she a chemist there ... and turns out she's Hannah.  I was laughing my head off.  He lives next to the Lowes.  
Charley's having fun still ....

cause girls just wanna have fun, no matter what age they are.  In fact I had some fun with these two friends on Friday.  Julie is my age, and Katie is actually between Davin and Ben in school as she grew up out in West Mountain ... yep she is Sherri's daughter, and in the interest of being in the flea market business, she wanted to see how this one is done. 

A few things I thought were pretty clever.

Katie checks out her bargaining skills with this gentleman, and even invited him to come and be a vendor at fleaology.

She loved this miniature gate leg table ... but alas, she didn't 'need it'.

I thought this pillow was charming.

and I am thinking of doing this to my garden house windows ... 

Loved this spooky little witch in the antique frame.

... and ran into two gals from San Diego who stopped at the mall the day before on their way up to this show...  and I am like ... heck the fleas in LA are a heck of a lot closer ... but maybe the road trip is part of the fun.
... and speaking of fun ... look how much fun Bekie was having at a science camp ... at which her Dad was a counselor.  Yep, that much fun, alright.

Dad has fun in a different way than me, and went to a funeral for Earl Dorius up in Salt Lake.  Here he took a picture of the Judd's and Stewart Gray who is currently serving as a Bishop in his ward.
Dad wants to include a picture of the Dorius family.

The hearse was super cool with the clear sided compartment, rather like the one used for Queen Elizabeth's processional this week.  



On Saturday Dad had another funeral lined up. (Yep three people from our time in Cottonwood Heights) This time it was Ron Stevens.  Actually the third funeral is tomorrow and is for Karen Larrabee. 

 I however had committed to go to Tiffany's flea market.  I had great success too. She sells on Insta under the moniker, Furniture at Tiffany's.  I got three ironstonish pitchers there, I had gotten 3 at the Vintage market days on Friday.  I was super happy cause I'm trying to buff up my collection for sale at the mall.  I also found two at DI, and one at home, beside buying another group of three on Ebay.  That means that in about 3 days I was able to gather a dozen of these popular pitchers. 

I also went to a few garage sales in a retirement neighborhood, and got a box of what I thought was old silver plate silverware.  It sells great and I was thrilled to find it.  Imagine how I felt when I found that about half the pieces in the box were sterling. (100 pieces in all). 

Also at the seniors sale, there were doing a bake sale to raise money to make quilts for veterans.  One thing they did that was clever is to take antique cups and saucers and fill them with bonbons, also plate of cookies where wrapped on hand painted vintage plates.  They were so cute I thought they would be perfect for ministering gifts.  So when I got home I actually made some tags to attach.  Its the kind of thing I always mean to do, but never or rarely actually do.  I knew right where my manila tags were too, from moving my craft room around.

Here are the finished items.  I boxed them all up and then headed to Olson's green house ...

Because Davin had given us their 50% dollars to spend there and it was the last day.  I got this tri level planter and some plants to go in it, as well as a hydrangea bush.  

After I got back I took one of the teacup tea party's to Tina's and had a nice visit.

Just for fun, I have been reading about a couple's trip across England, going to various author's historic homes.  This wallpaper is in Beatrix Potter's bedroom.  It was done by William Morris, and I think its charming, and quite unexpected for Morris as most of his designs are more compact.
Dad spent his morning on Saturday at a funeral for Ron Stevens.

Then he headed ti Trevor's.
  Dad had gone off to watch the football game at Trevor's.  The company was great, as always, but the game left something to be desired.

After church today, we delivered the rest of the tea parties in a cup, (I had added some herb tea packets.) then we took this plate to the Kews.  Steve's had a procedure that has left him a little worse for the wear and we hoped to cheer him up.

Dad took off to points north to attend another reunion meeting in Bountiful  This time, Forrest Mottishaw, who returned from their mission to Finland recently, drove up with him.  The Mottishaws live in Springville. This is Sister Wade with flower brought her by one of the committee members.

 Last of all here are a few cute costume pictures that Brittany has of Charley and Alex. 


 






No comments:

Post a Comment