Sunday, August 7, 2022

Junking, Journeys and Journals.

We're still at  Mosida doing treks, yes we are.  We love it, and a lot of what we love is meeting the wonderful people.  When Dad and I went over to meet with the support people on Monday, I admired this pin that one of the ladies was wearing.  She said that she got it when she and her family participated in the reenactment of the original Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints pioneer trek that arrived in the Salt Lake Valley in 1847, the Sesquicentennial fell in 1997.  She went on to tell me about how much she loves anything 'pioneer'.  I next met a lady who was born on July 24th, and who also loves anything 'pioneer'.  And I am getting to feel rather the same.

Then Dad met David Dibble who is also a descendant of Philo Dibble. They are fourth cousins. The support people there said they are sad they don't get to hear the reenactment skits we do, so we gave them the one we had just finished for their youth out on the trail.  That was fun. We told him about Philo's journal and where to find it.

David told Dad about this signature that Philo Jr, who was the son of Philo's first wife and David's ancestor, carved into a rock when he was sent on assignment, with others to harass Johnson's army when they were headed to put down the so called 'Mormon Rebellion'.  They had some serious wait time, and this art resulted. He also told Dad where we can go to see this signature in Wyoming. Hey, he would be Dad's half brother three times removed. 

Dad also found Spencer Parkinson, who is the son of the former CEO of  Associated Foods, when Dad was there.

As well as the bishop of Blaine Butterworth's ward, with whom Dad worked for 40s years. 

Because this group of Trekkers from Kaysville opted out of us running their hoedown, we were able to leave around four that day, but one of the missionaries who attended took this great picture. 

It was Fun to read this on our Group Me page later that day ....


and to find out that our site was on the news as well.

Then on Tuesday we got to recognize Van's real fourth birthday!!

Here the guys get ready to take out a cart to replace one that was having problems.

They also had to replace one of the rickshaws which had problems.

We got the assignment to be trail waiters on Tuesday. That was a first for us. That is we wait in an area where they often have trekkers that need to go back to the medical bunk house.  Fortunately there were none for this group, but its near the old farm dump so I got to do a bit of excavation. 

and I took this excellent still life as well.

There they go...

Afterward we went to the Rices' house to buy some antiques.  They are one of our missionary couples who live in Eureka, and are getting rid of some things in preparation for moving.  It was fun to see (not for sale) this 1886 edition of the Book of Mormon, printed in Liverpool, England and sent by Elder Rice's grandfather, to the young woman in Utah, who he would later marry.  What a treasure.

Here's the inscription.

Sister Smith has been teaching me about plants out there.  She explained that this one was brought by English converts as cattle feed (Just like the Lucerne (alfalfa) that my great grandfather Thomas Benjamin Clark is credited with introducing to Utah.)  This feed was so well liked by the cattle that thy ate it right down to the roots, so that it didn't come back the next year, making it less desirable as feed.  It was interesting though, because in eating it, I thought it was the best of all the 'edible' weeds I've eaten, in fact, I thought it was better than some of the stuff we eat in salads.  She is going to get me some seeds to plant for next year.

Here we see David Dibble and his son, carrying his wife across the river on Wednesday.

We got off early enough to go to Cathie Pace's house to pick up a cupboard I bought from her.  As you may recall, she is getting married and moving down to Mesquite to be with her intended, a wonderful man, who is not a fan of antiques.  

Here she is with her fiance.  Dad and I are going to drive to Las Vegas in October to go to their wedding in the temple there.

I laughed when I got there because Mary, (Think Downton Abbey Birthday) Keith from work, and Debbie, our latest Fleaology dealer, were all their picking as well.

Debbie bought this wonderful flapper dress from the movie The Great Gatsby.  (In the back ground you can see Dad in the red shirt moving the cupboard out with the help of Debbie's husband Mike.)

The obligatory cousin picture.

I was buying some linens from her and she showed me her mother's wedding dress.  

I thought the veil was amazing.

At work on Thursday, doing some reorganization. 

Love these antique stripy towels.

a shot of the corner of my Frenchy booth.

On Friday, everyone's favorite stalker found this on his App.  How fun is that?


I meanwhile was enjoying a sisters day.  Also known as Aunt Joyce's birthday. I had gathered all of these pictures for a special sisters journal I did for her birthday.  I included one of the pictures I took that day in this collage.

Of course when Joyce and I get together, junking is usually the name of the game.  We started at the DI in Sugar House, my fav, and there I ran into, Jenn, who is responsible for the birth of fleaology, or at least the naming.  She suggested, back in the day, that I name the flea market and expand it.  She was a partner with me in fleaology, until she left to start he own show.  It was so fun to see her.

Next it was lunch at the Paradise Buffet. Joyce thought this would be a funny shot of the surveillance screen taking our picture.

and here we are with a clerk at the DI on 45th, because her name in Julia, and completes our set.

Yes, she did think we were weird.

That night it was a favorite event with favorite friends. 

Dad ran into a former Finnish Missionary ... Martin Van Hemert.

and we introduced ourselves to the Provo Utah Mission President, who Dad met running the Temple to Temple 5 K last year. (He missed it this year due to our Oregon Trip)

And here the Kews and Dad jump in for a picture with the Governor and Lt Governor, she is from Spanish Fork.

and since we are taking park pictures, I'll inset this one of Ashley, posted this week, twinning with one of her disc golf friends.  What a couple of cuties.
On Saturday I accomplished two things.  I got the new handles for this desk 'aged' and Dad and I went to the mall to install them.

I also did the finishing touches on the renewal of the small guest room. These are 8 of the mostly antique white children's dresses I own. (The blessing dress my girls wore, is from 1975, so it won't be antique until 2025, as fabrics and paper are consider antique at 50 years). 

Here the wall we papered 6 months ago that started this transition. The dress in the fore ground is one that I bought from Cathie this week.

I painted the desk to match.  Dad had hauled up the bed and changed it out for the one that Grandpa Carlo slept in back in the day on Friday.  I found the blue iron bed at our last fleaology.  The new french blue quilt and shams I also got from Cathie. The Girls' blessing dress is the one the sun is shining through, it was a gift from Grandma Connie.


A peek at the end of the bed, with the lace overlay showing.

I bought the lace over lay on the way home from a trip to Emily's.  Anyway, I am very happy with this latest incarnation of this room.

After church today, I was putting away some books I got on Joyce's birthday.  I had found a copy of 'The Broken  Chord', the book that first described and named Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, and was putting it away in my special book case in the closet.  I saw this journal and just for fun looked inside.  Its Brittany's childhood journal, and Dad and I got a kick out of reading it.  I hear she is coming down for onion days, so she can actually take possession.  We did much of it with transcription as it goes from the time she is 2 (pictures she drew) until she is almost 11. 


This is her description of my mother receiving the Utah Mother of the Year award.  I thought it was lovely, as Dad transcribed it.

So that does it for yet another week.  Just one more week of treks, then we have two weeks off before starting Mosida projects.  Happy Trails!



























No comments:

Post a Comment