Sunday, July 17, 2022

Flea Week and Lavender Tea

So early in the week, I was digging through old fleaology graphics looking for something to use on the name tags I would be making for the dealers to wear on lanyards, for the sale coming up Saturday.  I found this one that Nell put together, and after making the dealer tags, decided to mock it up to use on line for advertising as well.  Nell put it together back in the day when we were partners.  Such a talented girl.

At Mosida, right after prayer meeting we headed out to greet our new trekkers.  Here is Dad with Russ Wright with who he worked back in the 90's.  He has since moved to Delta.

We had had a handcart break down, not because of being made of green wood, but because the ball bearings had gone wonky.  Not sure if the pioneers even had ballbearings in their wheels, Dad said they used  grease on their axles instead.
Elder Munro wanted to go out and put it in a truck bed, but it was less than a mile away, so we volunteered to go and pull it back for repairs. Don't we look so authentic?

That night was Dad's first hoedown, and he did a great job.

Here he is Isaac Willowbe who used to live in our ward, here in Payson.  His mom was friends with Becca in Highschool.

and another picture with Russ.

These folks are Bryce and Jennifer Tolbert who work on the shift following Dad at the temple.  He has traded with him a few times, doing double shifts when he has needed time off.

This gal is wearing a pinner apron.  I guess its a precursor to the pinafores we still know today.


I thought that was so interesting to learn.

This is the Stake Young Women's President on Trek.  Here she shows me the journals they made for the kids.  They were so complete, including the map so the kids would know where they were.  She later sang a song she had written, and it was amazing.

The hollyhocks at the lodge made up for mine at home.  We've had so much hot wind, that they had bloomed and dried up in about a week or two.  So sad, but being against the lodge, those at Mosida  have been blooming leisurely and abundantly.

Here Lavern eats her dinner, while her sweet husband hold an umbrella over her.

My antique sun bonnet fell on the ground, and it looked so cute, I picked it up and dropped in another part of the road that was more evenly crackled ... ah yes, incidental art.

On Tuesday we had the Losees as our Rocky Ridge vignette stars, Elsie and Jens.  They were great, and as it turns out, his parents are serving at the Heber Valley Girls Camp with the Sevys.  But then there are 80 couples serving there, still Clark Sevy said they had met them.

We ran to Macey's after our work day to get stuff for a dinner we were doing the next night.  Dad was so happy to run into members of his former work crew, before his retirement.

It was old home week for him.

Back at Mosida on Wednesday ... the blue and white girls were the ones who all served the M-W Trek, Sister Nielsen with the red apron, had come in for the W-F trek.

Here are a bunch of us from the overlapping treks, including Elder Olsen.

We just love him.

This gal's outfit made me happy.  Her mom found a duvet cover, and the girl made the dress.  Then her Mom had her wear the green apron she, the mother, had made in high school, so a family heirloom.  I thought that was cool.

Here the young men line both sides of the women's pull with their hats over their hearts to honor the young women doing 'hard things'. 

This group had a violinist playing as they finished.  It was really lovely.

They also had their Stake President playing his harmonica at the river crossing.

When everyone had left the crossing, and Dad was draining the 'river', I noticed this little bird and laughed ... 

Because Joe Weight, who had come with the Elk Ridge Stake the week before had seen this Kingfisher and posted this picture, and I was like ..."I'm out there all the time and I've never seen one".  Well I have now.

This gal, Megan, is the daughter of Brent Blake with whom Dad also works in the temple.  She was asking around to meet us, at her folks request.  Dad thought that was so cool.

That night we had Erik and Joyce Erickson come to dinner.  They live in Virginia and were in town for a week.  We are so thrilled we got to visit and spend time together.  They are such amazing people, as are virtually all the senior missionaries we've had the blessing to serve with.  They are currently doing a service mission, where they supervise ten young missionaries, like our Elder Olsen, in serving their own service missions.

I had Thursday off, to help with prep for fleaology, and had many projects going.  I had to touch up some damage on this water color, and when I googled the artist, I found that he lived and died in England.  Now I wonder how the painting got out here.  I looked on family search, and I'm about as closely related to him, as I am to Dad.

He died two years after painting this.  And BTW, I decided to keep the painting.


Some favorite pics of our Charley.


When Dad and I went to run some errands Thursday, I noticed that one corner of the middle panel of this sign was loose and flapping ... when we got home the first two panels were bare.  Fortunately the first panel cover had flipped to the side and was bunched up, but because holes through it were wired to the fence it had not blown away, which was not true of the middle panel ... So I ended up painting the lost info on the middle panel.
That night we had a 'speed dating' activity for Relief Society that was a lot of fun.

This is my friend Cristie Peterson's daughter, Jill, who is building next door to Cristie, they will be a great addition to the neighborhood.

Yeah Friday ... and Eva's birthday.



We met her and her Dad for sushi.

Happy Birthday to our 15 year old granddaughter.

We got back in time to start setting up at the flea market.

Dad put up the pop up and then we carried it into the booth, which was a bit tricky.



I did a few pictures of the set up, then I posted them on KSL classified when I got home.

This is Sherry Oldham, the owner of the property, with one of her sons who was helping people who needed it.  They are truly one of the nicest families I know. BTW I was also able to meet her son Jed, who is now my primary care physician.  Maybe after we're done with Trek season, I can get to the doctor and dentist for checkups.

Julie Smith and LaVern Crump came hoping to see a few booths set up, sadly mine was really the only one that was completely set up, but I loved seeing them. (They are both Mosida missionaries, and we did our M-W with them and their husbands this week.

On Saturday I got over to Sherri's at 5:45 to meet a dealer who wanted a shady spot ... yawn ... this gal was selling lavender lemonaide.  The funny thing is that by the end of the day, her ice cold lemonade had turned a beautiful blue.

Here are a couple of Sherri's grandkids riding the little pony they keep for such purposes.

This beautiful booth belonged to a Shawna, who did fleaology back in the old days ... one of the very most talented people I have ever known .... sadly she said she is just clearing out old stock, and she is getting too old to do it anymore.  Her husband works for the church and is always off building temples ... I got to meet him for the first time.  

The three funeral baskets, with the round handles on the table to the left were fun.  The one with the twisted handle is one that I decorated at least 10 years ago and sold at Treasures.  I always laugh when I see my own upcyled stuff for sell.  I bought the middle basket myself, and the other two also sold.

Dad brought me some breakfast, then stayed and watched the booth for a bit.

Then friends started coming ... this is Shirley who lives in Highland, one of my greatest supporters, and an art group member.  she brought me a little present I'll show you later.

I bought this collage and painted art work, and she wanted a picture of us together with it too.  That was so fun!

Stina Van Cott, who I first met at a similar sale, brought her older girls down for the show ... that was so very fun!!  We both bought aprons from the same vendor, how fun is that.

My friend Ginny Taylor and her daughter Coral dropped by too.  Dad runs past Coral's house up main-street when he runs, so I thought I'd have him stand in. I plan to take off the chicken patch to wear it at Mosida.

And here I am with Wendy ...  I had so much fun with her at our first show here in the spring ... but alas, she is done with all that too.

Here are Nikki and Keith chatting during take down.

My friend Kimmy stopped by for a minute with her grandson Grant ... what a pair of cuties.

Today Adam Jaynes stepped in and subbed for one last Sunday School class.  What a treat ... he is so amazing ... but they're headed back to Virginia.  Its sort of funny, because soon we'll have three great friends back that way, as the Kews are headed to Maryland this fall and the Ericksons also live in Virginia.  Three great reasons for a junking trip back there next year.

Here the cute art project that Shirley made for me ... she is so darling, and so talented.

Friends in Finland went out to see the plaque commemorating the dedication of Finland 75 years ago this week.  Its amazing to think that Dad went to serve there when it had been only 25 years ...

'
Another incidental happening is that my friend  Denise of The Vintage Pelican on Insta, did a half an hour segment on her visit to Fleaology yesterday ... and it gained me ten friends so far.  Isn't she the best.!?!

But even better than that we got to have a ministering dinner this afternoon ... I had arranged it two months ago, only to find out that this week, that the two cute couples near the window are no longer 'mine'.  I am so sad ... Brother Bartholomew, however, did say we could keep feeding them if we want ... They've been on our list for a year and a half, and other than visiting at church, and on the phone trying to arrange to get together, all that has actually happened is their coming to dinner three times. Terry Kew tok the picture, as she also came.  Steve is still back in Maryland working on their new house.  She came back to save their yard, as they will be listing the house soon.

So that was our week ... and all the projects to sell, dealer tags to make, adds to run, banner to repair, pictures to take for the adds to run, et al ... have really consumed me.  Of course the two dinners were the high light, I think.  We hope you had chances to be with those you enjoy this week as well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment