Sunday, May 9, 2021

Our Week of The Arts and Pirates Too.

Our week started with Dad on his hands and knees, but he was not swabbing the decks, he was creating new decks for much of the main floor.  Here he is shown as he does the first task, tearing out the tiles in front of the fireplace.  He found one tiny piece of the original tile back under some of the wood work, it was a red brick colored glazed piece, just another little bit of our house's history.


Once he had the travertine in place, and glued down, he was able to start laying the laminate floor boards. He would grout it later.

 But along with laying the decks there was plenty of sweeping and swabbing of the decks before and after laying it was a continual process.


That night we got to see our favorite actress in the role of a pirate. "Shiver me Timbers!"

As it turns out she also looks great in a dress as one of the Major General's daughters.  He was prolific, and it begs imagination as to how he and his wife managed to have 24 daughters in the space of five, perhaps ten years.

As one of the youngest in the Junior High School cast of Pirates of Penzance, she did a stellar job.


Cutest Pirate family ever.

Dad was thrilled to run into a former Finnish Missionary, Kirk Strickland, who happens to be the grandfather the young man who played the lead, Jack, the pirate who was enlisted as a Pirate apprentice after his nanny misunderstood the boys father's instruction to apprentice him to a pilot on a ship.

Afterwards the pirate family was feted at a local ice cream parlor called Brooker's Founding Flavors, the theme is colonial, so the costumed workers look just like the character in the play.  Yeah, serving up ice cream in  tricorne hats and winche's bustiers.

Davin and Bri et al also joined the fun.

But when it was found that the Pirate father was in the house, the stocks were put to good use.

After walking with my friend Carolyn in Elkridge on Tuesday I ran over to Walmart with a list.  I was stunned to find these huge happy round artichokes, for a buck.  Happy day.
.
And yes there actually is a tie in between Artichokes and Pirates, meet Artichoke the Pirate, the star of a kids music video series ... check it out Matey.

In the afternoon Adi came by to play, and we went to lunch at Taco Bell in honor of Ben, who would have loved it had they had one here when he was a kid.  Then we headed to the museum at Peteetneet.  I thought this full size doll, being used as a mannequin was amazing.  The docent said she just showed up one day, they figured she was probably a donation.

.
The rest of the museum was well staffed with regular mannequins in typical mid 1800's attire, not quite as early the the pirate and colonial clothing we'd seen earlier. 

Though the museum couldn't quite give us a tie in to pirates, there was a tie in to seafaring tragedy as they had this exhibit of a woman who was a teacher at Peteetneet, and who went down on the Titanic. 

Of course seeing the man who built our house is always interesting.  Here he is shown in the gallery of Mayors, not to be confused with the galley of Major Generals. Arrrggg har har.

And an exhibit noting all the buildings in town that are on the National Historic Registry.

We also checked out the local artist's exhibit while we were there.  Adi liked the hummingbird and trumpet vine,

My favorite was the painting of Bridal Veil Falls ... Shiver me Timbers.

When we got back Darby was there, having brought down a tool that Dad had left at her house, and she got to give Adi a ride home on her way north.  

After they left, I took the new pillows I had gotten at Walmart for 5 bucks each, they are weather proof, and fade resistant, so I can leave them out on the deck and not worry too much about typhoons blowing water across the rails and ruining them.

and here's just a peak into the forecastle ... I'm loving the cottage comfort look.

On Wednesday, while Dad was at home with his hands on deck, laying the deck, I went to work.  Do you remember last week when I brought in the two big green repro canisters and created this green display? Then after they sold within an hour, I refilled it with green items collected around the store?Well, when I came that day, I found it wiped out again.  Some pirate with a penchant for green had stopped by and finished it off .... not that I'm complaining, mind you.

I also had a guy come in who is restoring an old house in Nephi.  Such a talented man, he actually builds movie sets.  He taught me how to use Lincrusta embossed wall paper to make mock stamped tin ceiling tiles that would be worthy of installation in Black Beard's forecastle.  I can't wait to do it our library, so I can show you all. 

.
and no, this is not a barrel of  rum, but while I was working on Thursday, this keg which did not come off a pirate ship, as you may have supposed, sold.  It was used as a shipping container to mail goods from the Topaz Internment Camp in Utah, to California.  I thought it was interesting because of our family tie to the camp.

That night Dad and I drove north, against the gale, to visit this cute couple, your cousin Andrew's son Ben, as he marries his beloved Wench, who has been helping care for this set of quintuplets.  How fun is that. Just look at that bounty, Yo Ho Ho.
Here we are with Doug and Shirley, the grandparents of the groom, and my older brother as well.

Who are about to be great grandparents, Shiver Me Timbers, Cali, Ben's younger sister is due any day.  By the way, she is good friends with two of our Finnish missionaries, Sister Gheen and Elder Johnson, so I took this picture to send to to them.

Then on our way out, Ahoy Matey, who did I see but my brother The Dread Pirate Bruce. 


On Friday I went looking for under priced treasures, while Dad kept busy at home.  He got the tiles grouted, the quarter round trim placed, and then moved all the furniture back into the front parlor.


When I got back I hung up my greatest treasure.  It is a colorful scherenschnitte of Scandinavian life ... now I know this is off topic, because sea going ruffians from the north are called, Vikings, and were a few centuries ahead of the golden era of the pirates, but it is absolutely a treasure, and especially right for my gallery (no, not galley) room which is decorated with Finnish, Swedish and Norwegian goodness. Yo Ho Ho. (no barrel of rum here, either)

Here's a detail so you can see the scissor work.  Oh and did I mention that I paid four dollars for this treasures.

That night we went to the Covey Center to see the works of Rick Nye.  He is a personal friend of Kews, who invited us to go along. 

There was also a stained glass exhibit, by another artist that they know.  There were really some stunning pieces. We finished off the day at La Dulce Vita.  Yep, the sweet life seems to apply perfectly.

On Saturday I was surprised by these land lubbers came to commandeer our ship of state, all to wish me a Happy Mothers day.


Of course Dad is getting his decks laid, and needed to take down the great fireplace mantel in the galley, so he Shanghaied these too likelies to get the job done.

All Hand Hoy!!

When what do you know, all the pretty pretty princesses where napping on the Princess and the Pea bed ('Was this really your bedroom mama', says Reagan to Becca?)  I told the girls that when Becca was a teenager and this was her room that she would feel like she was in the tower of a castle ... Later when I was telling Emily about the experience, she laughed and said ... 'Yeah and my room was done up with cheap paneling and a captains bed, I felt like I was living in a trailer home."  Then I laughed because Becca does pretty much live in a castle and I have heard Sam refer to their house as a single wide .... just saying! 

Ok, I guess you need the backstory, especially if you are one of the few followers who is not family.  Emily and Sam live in Texas, and a couple of years ago bought a very nice, top of the line, prefab home so they could lived next to his parents, on a lot they had previously purchased.  Sam teaches Spanish at a local high school, and one day he heard some kids making snide remarks about a fellow student, "Hey man, you are just trailer trash!"  and Sam stepped in and said, "Hey, Ya'll, who you calling trailer trash, you know I live in a single wide with my wife an four young un's."  As a very popular teacher at the school, that was the last word.  So there you have it.

Oh and look what the long story did, it put the princesses right to sleep.

So fun that Hannah and Scott could join the fun.
and here's our Adi in her pirate stripes.

She's clearly learning pirate skills from her cousin the dread pirate Eva.

We joked that Scott looked like a character in one of those Mexican Nativity scenes, with the five round balls representing his halo.

Talking like a pirate, no doubt, and here comes Davy with some grog.

That pirate winch will be great climbing the riggings, don't you think?

And of course one must beware of the old Pirate torture, using Ants ... or is that ... um Aunts....

Dig in Mateys. and down those hatches ...

This Swashbuckler has a system.



A good time was had by all ... though some of the kids were playing outside, and managed to miss getting their pictures taken ... sneaky little land lubbers.

That night Brett Anderson, one of our Assistants to President Kervinen, and also one of Trevor's neighbors, not a current neighbor in Monkey Town, but from when they lived in Scratch Gravel, String Town, or was it Mud Hole, I forget. (All neighborhood names in Pleasant Grove) 

It was super fun to meet Brett's espoused wench, who actually is  from Monkey town.  We loved her and we are so excited for them both, though we were unable to Shanghai them as basement renters,we did try.

I did have a historic moment last night, when I actually won a game of Word Blitz while playing with Jodi, with whom I have been playing for almost 6 months ... she was either off her game, or letting me win, not sure.  

and when I got ready to go to church today, and Dad said I looked like a pirate wench, I decided we definitely needed a pirate them for our blog this week.  Thank you for baring with me. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment