Sunday, June 16, 2019

Weddings, Reunions, Camping and Family Fun.


What a week, full of family, church, work, and fun.  It started when I ran across this little picket fence when I was gathering patriotic items for my craft group.  I think its perfect.

Here I am at my craft group at Kimi's house out in Bluffdale ... this is my completed, two sided wreath.

This is Shirley with her mostly completed wreath ... you can see the split pea soup in front of her, that was my contribution to our lunch buffet.  Adding lime is amazing.

Just the die-hard crafters came this time, and you can see the three wreaths here.

Kimi's friend Connie came at the end... how cute is she?

Having my crafty on already, I took a minute to hang these sweet hearts I got at the treasures sale last weekend.

That night we hooked up with our favorite Springvillite, and went to Trevor's favorite sushi place in AF.  Yum yum!

A funny thing happened on Tuesday morning, which will show you how disorienting GPS can be.  I was supposed to go to a buying appointment in Orem, and just typed in the address and followed it.  After the disappointing appointment, I knew I was in west Orem and needed to get on a main road going to the freeway ... so I headed north, and west ... as I was driving I noticed a house that looked like the first house we had in Orem ... and thought, "Oh there's a house that looks like 'seventh heaven', the builder must have built more that one". Then it hit me it was 'seventh heaven', so I stopped for a quick visit with Ashley and Zacherman, who is shown here eating straight Taco Bell hot sauce ... um. yum?

I then drove up to my friend Joanne's to give her some souvenir plates I'd found for her and had had around for almost a year ... yikes.   As it turns out she was hosting a dinner that night, and shared all her decor.  I almost wept when I saw these cherry plates ... she said that she and Jann had bought a full service for 12 of these at the dollar store the fall after I left for Finland.  Oh my.  They are so beautiful.

I love the patriotic rag banner and am hoping to make a similar one for my garden house, using the bee prints that Nell gave me, along with yellow, black and white fabric.

How wonderful is this chandelier?


Next I went to DI, since I was so close, Joanne lives in Lindon.  There I felt compensated for missing out on the cherry dishes because I was on a Mission.  This breakfast or tea set, has 17 cups and saucers ... that seemed like a sign.  They were made around 1950 in France.  I actually already own matching egg cups, and the entire set was in collectibles for just $30.  There are 52 pieces, so about 57c each.  Happy me!




Also at DI, it was fun to run into this International Who's Who of Music circa 1980, where I found Uncle Leeman's entry.



When I got home, I took the trophies out of the small cabinet, getting ready to put in the blue dishes

I also greeted three chickens in my yard when I went out to water ... they are so funny, they live next door, but escape into our yard periodically.  I kind of love their company.

On Tuesday Becca flew out to visit Emily ... here's the chunkin she got to see when she got there.

She also took this American Girl's desk (in her suitcase) for Bekie, because I forgot to take it when we were there last month.  Thanks. Becca.

At some point they stopped at Buckee's where they got this picture of our William.

I love the girls matching dresses.


The Mamas got away sometime during the week to visit the Silos of Fixer-Upper fame ... 

While Sam gets some child labor out of the kids at home ... yeah Sam.

On Wednesday Britt took her kiddos on a hike ... Kai definitely looks like he's in his element.

Also on Wednesday our man Titan went to Cub Scout Camp at Jeremiah Johnson, that is run by my Friend of Book Club Fame, Ann Shumway.  He hurt his finger and headed in for first aid.  Ann said she suspected he was my grandson because she's never met another Titan.  How fun is that?  I was delighted to get the picture, despite Titan's owie.  Sorry buddy, I hope the rest of your day camp was fun!!
In Other Wednesday news, Dad stopped at Market Street Grill to pick up some dinner, so he could see  Kim.  When he sent me the picture it took a minute to recognize this beauty.  She looks more mature every time I see her.  She said she's giving up her SLC apartment, and moving home so she can go to barber school.  She'll be great!

At Dad's practice that night, they had Ryan Murphy who is the assistant director of the Tab Choir, come and coach them for their upcoming competition.  His director John Sasine, who is in the Tab Choir, is to the right.

I, meanwhile, gathered with some other kiddos at our church to go to Girl's camp

This is a picture of me with a statue of Chief Wakara, with some pioneers.  We learned that Manti was the first settlement outside of SLC, because the Indian Chief sent an emissary to SLC asking Brigham Young to send farmers to settle in his lovely valley to teach his people how to farm.  Wakara was later baptized, and Manti was settled the summer of 1849 just two years after the pioneers entered the valley of the Great Salt Lake.  This little park is across the street from the temple.

Here we are in the Temple View Camp ground.  Dad remembers camping here as a kid when it was called Jellystone Park.  Let the braiding begin!!  Emma starts the festivities by torturing Azzerin.

Here we see Megan doing the same for Nadia.

Tyla gets going on placing the briquettes for our dessert cobbler that night.

One of the girls brought a friend, and I don't know her name, but she has some pretty creepy skills.  We had 20 Young Women in all.

Here are a bunch of us gathered for a devotional.

Here's another shot.  Note our camp director with her baby.  That took me back to serving as a camp director when Darby was a baby, and taking her to girl's camp, with me, where she was first dubbed Darby Doll.

More braiding.

 
When we went on a hike up toward the quarry where the stone for the temple was chipped out, I got to have my picture taken with the temple for a crown. (Be sure to note that your geeky mother handed her phone to one of the girls to take this picture, without first removing my readers which are on top of my sun glasses. hahaha)

 Here's the whole group of those who wanted to hike ... nothing is mandatory anymore, since we don't certify.  

From back left: Ava, me, Emma, Azzrin, Cheryl (our president) Paige, Aubrey, Emeleigh.
Front from left: Becky, Amie, Kaitlyn, Ellie
We saw a cactus in bloom as a bonus, and I picked up bits of the limestone that had been chipped off when they hauled stone down to build the temple. 

Rosie had been sick, and came the second day, here she is greeted by Marysa, while Tyla looks on.

 The priesthood traded off, but this is our YM President, Adam Jaynes, with John Adams, who is a ward clerk, with his daughter Emaleigh.  It was interesting to talk to him, because he has had back problems his whole life, due to a birth defect in one of his disks.  He said lately he's started eating a primitive wheat,  which has anti inflammatory properties, and no longer has pain ... yea, I want to get some, Dad thinks we should wait until we get back from Finland.
Here's our Tyla writing poetry.  At her Magnet school her teacher has a gum ball machine that she uses by having the kids write poems, and typing them up, folding them and placing them in those little plastic bubbles, so the kids can pay a quarter to get a poem ... I thought that sounded super fun.  I actually borrowed a sketch pad from one of the other girls and did a pencil portrait of her as she wrote.  I gave it to Tyla, so I can't show it to you.

This picture of Tyla, Jenny, Sydney and Brooklyn, shows the bags of plastic ware we used instead of the old mess kits. 

Not sure if you can tell but the first four girls here have red hair ... there were also two others with red hair (shown above Sydney and Brooklyn), which means 6 of the 20 girls at came have red hair, for a whopping 30%.

Here we see Beki, (Who was friends with Becca in Junior High) doing a devotional with her baby strapped on. 

It was super interesting to go to the Tabernacle and hear a fireside given by the president of the pageant, who grew up in Manti.  He told us about his many performances growing up in the pageant, including getting the prize role playing Angel Moroni on the temple.  He also said that the years he played a Lamanite, they were painted all over and their hair sprayed black.  After the performances he and the other actors all drove out to Palisade Lake for a dunk to get most of the paint off.  He said they did it every night of the performance, so about 6 times a year.

When we got back, it started to blow hard, and to rain.  Here you see many leaders literally holding down the fort.

Let the braiding continue.

That night we all walked over to the temple to watch the pageant in its final season.  

and here we are loading up Friday morning.  I took Tyla, who had been sick,  home after breakfast, while the rest of the girls and leaders spent the rest of the day at Palisade Lake.

When I got home I got to see Dad's finished windows in the Library and Dining Room.  He's all done now.  Fabulous man!


He also surprised me by repainting the garden house, which had gotten mighty shabby since we built it 6 years ago.

That evening we went to Sister Haydn Olsen's wedding in west Orem ... it was lovely to see lots and lots of missionaries but we just missed seeing Ginger and Christopher.  Our missionary is Ginger's cousin.  Then we, unfortunately, left before the London's came as well.

On the way home we stopped at the Cafe Rio in Springville for the first time, and then took some metal flowers I'd found to put them on Ben's grave.  Hannah says she expects his head stone to arrive, hopefully by the end of June.  Thanks Hannah.

And speaking of adorable daughters-in-law, I acquired this one 16 years ago, Friday.  We love her so much.

On Saturday, Brittany took her kids swimming.  Looks like lots of fun, and we are looking forward to seeing her and the youngest two next week.  We can't wait.


On Saturday morning Dad performed magic ... I have been hating our stack of old windows by the side of the garage in the worst way .... and Dad made them disappear, with just one trip to the dump.  Thanks again Honey.

Then I packed up a picnic and we headed to Provo to get copies of my grandfather's missionary journal from the turn of the last century to give out at the Family Reunion, we were headed to in Salt Lake. They are red covered, and you will see people at the reunion holding them.  I am having ones for our progeny spiral bound and you will get them soon.

 Here we are at the reunion, Ross' daughter Alicia and Spencer.
Alicia, her husband and their two sons.

Here's my nephew Todd and his girl friend Janelle.


 My cousin Brent and Dad showing off their U's
Brent, Dad and Sandra, my cousin.

Dave, my cousin, me and Doug, my brother.

Jason, my Nephew, Dallas, and Darby, who all work for IM-Flash

My cousin Brenda's youngest daughter, and her daughter, who we all thought was Becca with Mac as she walked up. 

Becca BTW pointed out that she was having a mini reunion, as she showed houses to Megan and Mike, Doug and Shirley's daughter and son-in-law ... she said she even chatted with Doug for a bit. 

Davin and Bri had planned a family adventure and were gone hiking that day. 

Trevor's family came but couldn't stay long, we just appreciate that they made the extra effort.


My Niece Sarah holding Van, with her oldest son.

Dad with my nephew Jon.

My Nephew Ryan, Ross' wife Julie, with Nina, Emory's wife, behind.

 My cousin Dave and Dad
My cousin Brad and his wife, Brent, Doug and me.

Brad and his wife, Brent, David, and Doug.

Joyce who put the reunion together with Brent, shown with Brad Nebeker, who I haven't seen since I was a teenager.  He is now a bishop in Idaho Falls.



and here I mapped out the attendees.  It was pretty cool to have someone from every possible branch of my Grandfather and Grandmother's family, as well as someone from every possible branch of my parents family.  Ross and Julie won in our family for having all their possible progeny, and Brent and Dar had the most descendants in attendance.  There was an attendance of about 97 people.
After the reunion we headed to Ogden for Elder Naylor's reception (shown center) and then to Sister Emily Burden's reception in Alpine. She's the dancing bride.  We saw Elder Gigena at Elder Naylor's wedding and Sister Parker at Sister Burden's wedding.  Sister Parker is shown with Sarah Johnson, (who plays flute with both Sister Parker and Sister Burden at BYU) who served her mission in  NYC and thinks she recognizes Kylie Moe, how fun is that?

 Today after church we worked on the blog for a while, then did our Come Follow Me study, before heading to Trevor and Nell's to celebrate Father's Day.
Oh how sweet is this girl?

and this one too!

We took Eva and Eleanore home with us, to meet up with Britt and her two youngest.  She'll be here for a couple of days before heading to Texas for a visit with Emily's family and a chance to see little Ben.

Things have changed since these two were the same height.

Brittany is sporting her shortest hair cut ever ... so I said to Eleanor, "Come have a picture with this beautiful bald lady," and she chirped "OK!  My Mama is a beautiful bald lady too."  yes she is.

Its been a great week, and we hope you have enjoyed yours as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment