Sunday, April 29, 2018

Finnish Missionaries Everywhere.

Wow, its Monday again, those Mondays seem to follow each other like lightening.  We finished up the cleanup from our open house the day before. Then headed to Walmart to return the rug that didn't work and to get Penny's gifts ...

 This is our cute greeting committee as we drove up to Trevor and Nell's for Penny's grandparent's party.
 When Nell asked Penny what kind of a cake she wanted, Penny kept telling her 'Donut', so here it is ... adorable, and Pinterest worthy.
 Here's the birthday girl with her other grandparents.
Here she is with her favorite gift, a rabbit that her mother made clothing for to match a character, Rose, from a favorite book!
Eva made this painting of Penny's favorite Sesame Street character, and is shown with a pig nose stretched across it.

 Here's the star of the show blowing out the candles.

 The décor was these clear balloons, and I don't think I am the only one that thought they were a magical touch.


On Tuesday I worked, which is unusual, but meant three days in a row, and I was not sure I was up to that, but I managed

These old glasses with a hair pin chain and pincers to fit on the bridge of the nose were in my locked case.  A customer called looking for some old glasses for her daughter who is starting up as an optometrist.  I love the old shipping case with the stamps that show they were mailed, probably around 1900.  The lady was thrilled. (she came in on Thursday and bought them.)


I wore my new lip stain that Robin gave me, and loved it.  This stuff only needs reapplying about every 5 hours.

That night we went to our Finnish class.  The teacher, shown above with her husband, lived in Finland when her Dad was Mission President there, then returned and served a mission herself.  The man of the left is Grant, he was the other student for the evening.

I worked again Wednesday, and Dad continued to  look for the short in the wiring to the garage that keeps shorting out when it rains.  Ta da!  This is a view of the wiring on the arbor where the wisteria grows.  At one time we had a renter, we used to call him GI Joe, and Dopey Danny alternately, but now we are trying to be charitable, we need a new name for him.  Anyway, he went after the wisteria the summer he lived here, and would have chopped it all out if Cora Lee, (Our neighbor) hadn't stopped him ... we are thinking this cut was from that era.


 Meanwhile at work, I was turning over a new leaf ... this is the set of pastel glass and china that I took a year to collect so that I could give a spring luncheon, in 06 or 07 ... yeah, 12 years ago ... the gathered set has been in a box ever since ... I always thought I do another spring luncheon...

So I hauled it to the mall and priced it and set it up to display.  It felt good to fight against the hoarder in me.
Then it was lunch time ... I love this lunch box I found at DI a few weeks ago ... there were two of them, but Dad said he didn't need one so I only bought one for myself.  Yeah!

I worked again on Thursday, and Dad headed up to watch the sweet Summers' kids.  Here is Dad with Mac, but I think he looks like Austin Moe, does any one else see it?



I am loving my family room now, and enjoy sitting in it and talking to Dad ... the whole room is so me.   I gathered the goodies to decorate from my craft room and from my booths at the antique mall.  I mean I am trying to clear out there too.  The picture over the door is the only thing I bought, and it cost a whopping $7 at Treasures. Look at Cora Lee's beautiful flowering trees.

That night we drove to Bountiful for the reception of Elder Bryce Allen, who was a long term AP, whom we got to know very well.
Adam Nissen was Elder Allen's companion for part of that time.


Here is Dad with Cruise Johnson and Palmer Hatch, also missionaries we got to know in Finland. 

Here we are with Faye Wade (Dad's mission mom) and the Londons ... these little reunions are always heart felt and joyful.

We stopped at the Café Rio in Bountiful before heading home.

On Friday, Dad killed dandelions, while I headed out to lunch with my book club friends.  It was fun to tell them about our mission and to make up a list of books for the upcoming year.  They've added two of my favorites, 84 Charring Cross Road, and The Enchanted April.  I can't wait to reread these favorites.

I got home in time to go shopping with Dad for food to feed the missionary get together we were to host that night.  We were surprised at the grocery story to receive the following items for being Perks members (Undoubtedly named for Dad) and spending $50.  We got a gallon of milk, a loaf of good bread, a half pound of grated cheese and a dozen eggs.  Whoa!!


 We made dinner, and set things up expecting 12 possible people.
 We ended up with eleven at the big table in the dining room, then Dad and I had a cozy table for two in the parlor.  Here we see Jessica Carter, Taylor Pugmire, Taylor Holbrook, Chelsea Roberts, Emily Burden, Hayley Wes and Ben Martin.
 The young man whose back is to us is Steve Aldous.
 Ben Martin again, Jeremy Gigena and Ashlyn Patterick.
 Jessica Carter, Hayley West and Ashlin Patterick.
 The young man in the white shirt is Palmer Hatch. We're playing two truths and a lie.
 Aren't they all fun!


On Saturday I finally finished up my mission journal/junk journal.  That felt good.  It was fun to read through it as I found places to tuck in the last few items I wanted to save.  Now it has a home in the library.

We unpacked a few more boxes from the garage before heading up to Thanksgiving Point and Becca's Realtor sponsored movie day.
We recognized Zach as he played assistant to Becca's assistant.

 As they handed out the reserved tickets to all comers.

Here's Dad with Becca's signage.
It was fun to see extended friends and family, and we got to sit with these two, thanks for the great Selfie, Hannah.


Afterward we ran to Salt Lake to visit my sister Joyce,  She broke her hip the previous week, and is now in a rehab center.  I've talked to her on the phone a few times since the accident, but this was the first time to see her.  We had a nice visit, and her spirits are good.  She will likely stay with Clark and Jo for a while after she gets out of rehab this week.

We got back to Payson in time to change for the Adult Meeting of our Stake Conference that night.  The Kews picked us up, and we very much enjoyed the meeting that focused on Ministering.  Afterward we called Trevor and Nell to meet up in Provo for dinner at the Olive Garden.  The Kews had enjoyed going to dinner after conferences while we were gone with them, and wanted to continue the tradition.

This morning we were up early, going over our notes as we had been assigned to speak in Stake Conference.  The meeting was great, and the fun part is that when Dad's former missionary friend, Darwin Rassmussen had called the day before to get together, Dad invited him to conference to hear us talk and then to dinner at the house after.  Darwin is making plans to serve in Finland with his wife in a few years, and wanted to hear how it went for us.  He lives in Oregon, and we visited him back in 2002ish, when we went to see the Moes, while they were living there.  I know Dad enjoyed his visit, he can never get enough of anything connected to Finland.

So that does it for another week .... we are looking forward to seeing two of our children graduate from college this week.

1 comment:

  1. You had a full and fun week!!!! Love your ruby lips! Cute Donut cake! When's our next date night?

    ReplyDelete