Sunday, June 2, 2024

Fixing Up Our Favorite Antique


On Memorial Day Dad and I went over to the cemetery for a program.  Here are the Payson Royalty as they hand out programs. 

Kerry Morton, shown here with Dad, works at the temple with him.

Here I am with our Mayor, Bill Wright. 

We wandered the cemetery to find a possible area for Dad's 4th great grandfather's final resting place. He was buried here in the 1870's, but his actual resting place is unknown because he didn't have a marker, and the cemetery records were destroyed in a fire about 10 years later. 
Here he is, John Gribble born 10 August 1788 in Crediton, England Died 1 August 1874 Payson, Utah
I always love the lamb markers. 

Second to the left is my friend KD Taylor (Book Club Friend) who sings in the Payson Chorale, who was there. 

Here David Dalquist sits on a stool as he leads the chorale through several patriotic numbers. 

It was fun on Tuesday to find out that Jane Austen's dishes were similar to this, and they were called creamware by Wedgwood, I especially liked that because my best dishes are also creamware by Wedgwood, though mine have a floral pattern. Yes, I was reading another Jane Austen Biography.  I've read several, and this one, called Jane Austen at Home, had several things I hadn't read before.  The weak point is that the author is one of those who wants to push our values on historic figures and judge them for doing what people just did in their society.  In this case it was the fact that Jane's brother George, who was mentally handicapped, was sent to be raised and cared for by a family in the nearby town, and never really lived at home.  This was typical for the time, in fact the piano teacher that Grandma Connie paid for, for several of you to take lessons from, who was probably 20 years older than me, and had given birth to a downs syndrome baby, then, on the advice of her doctor handed the baby over to the state hospital's program at the 'training school', and they visited him sometimes.  This author brought it up continually, like it proved how awful the family was ... I keep reminding myself.  History is a foreign country; they did things differently there.  Otherwise, a great read. 



Dad finished the grout on Ashley shower that day, while I worked on clearing out the family room. 

Spencer dropped by that night to bring a couple pieces of furniture they were giving us, as they par down to have their household shipped to India. 

On Wednesday I moved a few things around at the antique mall.  I moved this antique set of children's furniture back to the tea party booth and set up a toy tea party display.  The set had been in my bookstore booth, but it's getting awfully crowded. 

I also worked in the bookstore booth, making a list of all of the rare and expensive books that I have locked up in a single lawyer's stack. I have so many in there it hard to see what they are, so I made a list with prices to attach to the outside of the case. The most expensive one is on the far lower right, it's a first edition of Julia Child's first cookbook from the 1960's and is in great shape.  I have $200 on it. 

Dad spent the day doing all the chores he does that he needs two hands for, like vacuuming, mowing the lawn, catching up all the laundry and doing all the dishes.  

That night we went to Irene Lamb's viewing.  What a great lady, we love her so much.  I was grateful when Ranae Crouch called to ask me to bring funeral potatoes for the funeral, since they are now in another ward, it was not expected, but I was so happy to help.  Dad actually did the shopping on Wednesday so I could put them together before work the next day.

Dad had arranged for Trevor to come down to give him a blessing before he went into surgery on Friday, as Trevor wasn't available Thursday night.  They brought Eva too and we all ate at El Tapitio, a place they learned to love when they lived in our house during our first mission.

Dad so appreciated his willingness. 

Here Trevor checks out our edition of Utah Artists, as we discussed various people. 

I always love that. 

At work on Thursday, my friend Nikki brought me some Chinese Peonies that she has growing in her yard, I thought they were so interesting.  They lasted just a couple of days, and smell very weird, but oh so pretty.


We had a good laugh when Ashley reposted this meme from a couple of years ago. 

And then it was Friday.  I took Dad to the surgery center for his shoulder surgery.  I came back after a few hours of junking at the nearby DI.

The nurse gets him to walk to see if he is stable enough to go home.  He is wearing massaging cuffs on his calves to avoid blood clots.  They have everyone use them now.  They have a new nerve block that they say can last three days, so at this point Dad was feeling no pain, and had plans to go to a wedding reception for Emmalee Larson, one of our missionaries up in Clearfield, when he was released

I had a chance to preview an antique sale of another dealer's, so we decided to stop in American Fork for that, to make sure Dad was good to go.  After a half an hour at the sale he still wanted to go. 
Here we are with Sarah Amestoy, who came in as part of the first missionary group we received after covid, and who came, along with Sister Larson and four other sisters. They were in two apartments, that we cared for as they did their quarantine, before they could go out to their first assignments.  This made us closer to all of them.  Sarah is shown with her fiancé, they are both from California and will settle their, but met here. 

Here we are together. 

Sister Carly Moss and her boyfriend who is from Serbia were also in the bridal party. She is from Eagle Idaho.

Emmalee married the grandson of members she met in Finland who loved her and got them started writing to each other. Thus the Marimekko pattern on their poster. Dad got to speak Finnish with his Dad. 
On Saturday I headed into the mall to help my friend Mary as she moves into her first full size booth at Treasures South. 

Here's most of the booth, and the curio in the middle is one that she is buying from me, on layaway.  I found it at the Payson Antiques Estate sale two weeks ago. Nothing like a quick turnover, and yes, I took off a hundred bucks and let her buy it from me personally to save her bucks. 

That night Dad was up and down all night, which means I was up and down, but not as often.  Here is the view of our roof top in the night.  Dad spent time in the recliner, then in our bed on a stack of pillows then on the balcony on the chaise lounge, alternately, about every half an hour.  Poor guy. . 

In other news, Penny and her dad did a fun run for girls and their Dads.

Clearly, they had fun. 

And so did Penny's friend. 

and in other fun news, Kai gets to eat a half gallon of ice cream, at the official halfway point of his hike along the Appalachian trail ...

Which turned out to be less fun that he thought it would be ... yikes.  The record is for a guy who ate that in 3 and a half minutes ... brain freeze and belly ache too. 

So that was our week, not much going on, and I suspect that with Dad feeling what he's feeling we will probably have another week just like it.  We're just glad that the cruise is a month out. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment